Dangerous street sweepers

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Dangerous street sweepers

Postby Peter Banda » 14th July 2010, 11:30

Dear Zambia,

Why do we have the street sweepers sweeping at 10 in the morning? Its very dangerous. Why cant they sweep at 5 in the morning and finish before traffic gets heavy? If medical workers can work night shifts, so can the sweepers.
Peter Banda

Re: Dangerous street sweepers

Postby Abel kabamba » 14th July 2010, 13:01

I think those that sweep up to 10 hours some have very danderous areas. And not to help matters, they are females, making them targets for rapes. They work without any protection and usually are alone. For instance, Kawala area, is not friendly at 5 in the morning. I strongly believe we must continue to drive around them to keep them safe, this way they will continue to provide a clean enviroment for us
Abel kabamba

Postby Chibesa » 14th July 2010, 13:14

I have nearly hit into one of those women and agree they should sweep at another time. They can use men for dangerous areas like Kamwala. After all there are too many unempoyed pipo in Zed.
Chibesa

Postby BILLION 2010 » 14th July 2010, 16:28

ba chibesa.
who wud love their mother/sister/wife working up at 5 to go sweep the dangerouse streets of kamwala with the type of street kids around that tend to be so violent immediately it get dark?
lets be real,yes we do have a lot of young men around looking for jobs but there is definately no man who wants to be seeing sweeping the RDS this is how come we have a lot of our beloved,dedicated and hardworking mothers cleaning up for us.
BILLION 2010

Postby Tired Zambian » 20th October 2010, 11:32

I agree with you Peter and Chibesa...if people can work late at filling stations and supermarkets, why do we have street works going on during the day?
there are so many young men begging on our streets at traffic lights (i was even approached in Shoprite by a man asking me to pay for his groceries!!!!), why can these 'beggers' not be employed by the council to clean the streets and we can solve two problems at one go: begging and dirty streets!!!
and 5am is not so early, i see the dawn breaking around 4am these days.
Tired Zambian

Postby Cindy » 20th October 2010, 12:18

BILLION, Chibesa suggested that men sweepers be deployed in dangreous areas where it's not suitable for the womenfolk if they have to start sweeping the streets early morning.

Yes people, I too agree there's the danger of hitting a street sweeper, especially in busy streets; town and Kamwala being the worst. Town has its own confusion of traffic already and this to be compounded by swerving women sweeping the streets? We can be spared the hustle if the Council made appropriate time to clean the streets, atleast before traffic gets crazie. It shouldn't be an issue for people to have to wake up early to do their job. It's the nature of the job and we all have to do it sometimes. We do work late/long hours and sometimes have very early starts depending on the jobs we do. This is a genuine concern by Peter.
Cindy

Return to Roads & Traffic (Road quality, traffics lights, etc.)