Zambian Pedestrian/Cyclists at Risk

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Zambian Pedestrian/Cyclists at Risk

Postby Kasoka K » 21st July 2010, 16:47

Dear Zambia,
I write on behalf of cycleists and pedestrians who risk their lives on our Zambian roads. I drive on Los Angeles, Haile Salasie Boulevard, Addis Ababa and many other roada EVERY day and my heart bleeds when i see people especially cycing on these busy roads. One thig we need to know is that Zambia's car populations have grown with leaps and bounds and the Government through the Local Government and RDA must have a strategy on how best they can take care of our good citizens. The fact that we (including me) are blessed to drive does not mean we should pay a blind eye. To be honest, my heart is not at peace.
Can the Government revist all the roads and build side walks and Cyclists paths? can we learn from oter Countries where they even have traffic lights and push buttons for the pedestrians an cyclist? Today as I was driving near Statehouse I almost witnessed someone being bashed as he was cycling along very fast vehicles from Kabulonga area - this is an urgant matter and the Government should take it seriously and act before lives are lost. Its just a matter of time.
Kasoka K

Re: Zambian Pedestrian/Cyclists at Risk

Postby Bamboo » 21st July 2010, 16:57

You are blessed to drive a car? ok, if you say so.

Have you guys been to the Netherlands? people use bicycles everywhere. They understand that bicycles are healthier, cheaper, and cleaner on the environment. And less hazardous. But here in Zambia we are still stuck with the mentality that a car is a blessing. And therein lies our problem. every bottom feeding charlatan wants a car. They are willing to make hefty sacrifices, just to drive a car. On this issue, like many others, Zambia is going in an entirely wrong direction. God help us!
Bamboo

Postby Kasoka K » 22nd July 2010, 16:00

Dear Bamboo,
Thank you for your response - though misguided. My mail was to address the issue of the "Risk to Cyclist and Pedestrians" NOT about owning a car - I have 3 cars and i even think its a waste to own them becoz they have made me lazy and overwieght is catching up. In any case if i was to use the bicycle, where will i ride it on? My children have bicycles but i have issued a decree never to ride them on these Zambian roads for fear of what i have aluded to.

You may wish to know that I have been to Netherlands and i admire those folks. My professor used to ride one from his home to the train station, catch a train and find another bike on the other end to ride to the the Univeristy.... the routine continues. My years in that Country made me happy coz i could ride and drive there with no problem. I think we need to appreciate these very important issues that are being brought to this fora. My mail was targeted at the authorities who can help us the people.

Thank you for your response, though.
Kasoka K

Postby chileshe L. » 27th October 2010, 15:05

kasoka K.

my experience as a drive onthe Zambian roads not europe of any other country. luapula province has a big number os cyclist as like eastern province . our pedestrians. even if our roads were to be made wide i tell you they will never stop walking in the roads. their reasoning is that once you bash someone the family of the victim will depend on you ie if the victim is killed and if the vitim is just injured then you will start buying this victim food , clothing and paying for their medicals for as long as they live.

these people are full of temptations and i dont know what the police and RTSA are doing about it and poverty levels are also high maybe it may be the why pedestrian and cyclist behave in such a manner luapula province. in a nutshell Kasoka lusaka maybe slightly better than the temptations we are going through.

chileshe l
chileshe L.

Postby Yes » 27th October 2010, 15:50

Ehehe! These Luapulans, they might as well throw themselves on the cars and die.

But seriously Lusaka cyclists risk their lives, the way cars fly in this City and there goes a cyclist or pede; lackadaisically walking/cycling without really bothering about the cars speeding around them. Ati it's upto the motorist to see the obstacles when driving. To avoid hitting one you can actually cause an accident, just like with the street sweepers in town.
Yes

Postby Hypertensive » 27th October 2010, 17:34

I agree...driving around these cyclists and pedes is a really stressful thing. I have my heart in my mouth everytime I am driving down Roan road in kabulonga. In the morning, you find school kids from Kabulonga Girls and Boys' schools who insist on walking on the tar road and risk getting knocked down rather than get their shoes dirty walking on the gravel road alongside. In my time, we used to go to school with a ka shoe brush knowing that our shoes would get dusty and we would clean them when we got to school. Now, these youngsters, its all about the so-called 'swag'...strutting in the middle of the road as if they own the world.

Then we have the cyclists on Kalingalinga road... gosh. This road is a chaotic enough with mini buses and trucks parking and overtaking like they are in a zambia style grand prix! Those cyclists will be on the road, taking up a quarter of it and you are forced to move inwards risking scraping against on-coming traffic in the opposite lane.

What also baffles me on this road is why the minibuses will park along the road blocking views and making you swerve every each way to avoid hitting into them, when barely 4 meters ahead is a bus stop with an inlet for them to park...which is most often empty of buses!

Zambia traffic chaos awe mwe!
Hypertensive

Postby Lelo » 27th October 2010, 17:43

The undeniable truth is that having this many vehicles on existing Zambian infrastructure is an abomination.

The cheapest fix, in my opinion, is to improve the quality of public transportation so people don't see the need to drive their own cars everywhere.
Lelo

Postby Plofessor » 27th October 2010, 18:40

Kasoka,

You worry about the lives of cyclists or pedestrians. I, as a motorist, worry about mine were I to hit into cyclists or pedestrians. The thought of being attacked and killed by an instant justice mob is chilling and sobering, so much so that I am nearly always on high alert when driving. But still, anything can happen and LCC with RTSA and whoever else this problem falls under should do something about it.

The women cleaning the roads it seems have never washed their previously orange, now brown, reflective jackets or cones, and this makes it all the more difficult to spot them. Pedestrians cross the roads whenever they like, wherever they like, at whatever pace they like. Cyclists cycle on the road however they wish. I once nearly hit into one at night. You guessed right, no reflective jacket or reflectors, no bicycle lights nor street lights. When I hooted at him and dropped down my window to shout and then advise him to get some reflectors (I was of course pissed off), before I could even utter a word he told me to "futsek, mwenye!" I promptly drove off.
Plofessor

Postby Dakota » 27th October 2010, 19:06

futsek, mwenye.

Was the man who screamed at you a portly fellow? Round fellow with chubby cheeks? Did he flash a big smile right after he cussed you out? Did you notice a stretch limo in the vicinity? what about body guards? were there any spooky looking fellows wearing long trench coats wobbling about the area? coz I'm suspecting our head of state was the profane caster
Dakota

Postby Plofessor » 27th October 2010, 19:55

Haha, very funny Dakota. Slyly getting it off your chest!

Actually, he looked more like a simpleton to me who had just 'knocked off' work after a long, hard day's work toiling in some man's garden.
Plofessor

Postby Tired Zambian » 28th October 2010, 15:36

Dear Kasoka K,
yes i agree with you and isnt it a shame that though our leaders and their subordinates travel all over the world that they cannot see some of the things that are law in those countries and try to adapt them to ours? take for instance the push button for pedestrians,they could try to adapt them to our roads that even if some hooligan decided to keep pressing the button just to create havoc, they could make it such that it can only be pressed once for such and such period of time and if someone tries to vandalise it, they will get a shock!
and Plofessor, you should have just smiled at him...you see, this will give that curser a shock! but i also agree with you, these cyclists and pedestrians are also very dangerous. for instance, the other day i was trying to join at a T-junction, i am going left so obviously i do not look left until i am sure the traffic on the right will allow me to join (mind 'join' not cross traffic). if i hadn't looked to the left as is my habit, i would have knocked down this cyclist who thought that he could cross the road in front of me (i was the first car at the junction). it is simple, common sense...if you want to cross the road at a junction, you do so BEHIND the vehicle that is at the stop line NOT in front. now pedestrians have learned a new thing, they put out their hand as though they can make you stop with that gesture! and like i said previously, i have seen agressive behaviour from these pedestrians esp if there is a woman behind the wheel. what can we do, the govt doesnt want to educate people on road behaviour, just on aids etc. if it saves lives, i think that this education is just as important as aids education!
Tired Zambian

Return to Roads & Traffic (Road quality, traffics lights, etc.)