DRIVING IN ZAMBIA

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

DRIVING IN ZAMBIA

Postby Jezabel » 9th July 2011, 17:50

Dear Zambia,
When someone says if you can drive in ZED you can drive anywhere, it's shockingly true!
I seriously have no idea how most people get their license...oh yes they pay for it!
Because generally these are the hazards /incidences that occur:
-Indicating just before a turning or better still not at all, if you're lucky a hand signal!
-No idea of the difference between a FAST and SLOW lane!
-Chaos at 4 way stop- everyone wants to go when the rule is FIRST ARRIVE IS FIRST TO GO!Not last is FIRST TO GO!
-WRONG lanes constantly especially at roundabouts- plan yourselves if you are going left then be in the left lane NOT the RIGHT!
-Free lanes these are found at roundabouts like ZRA roundabout- coming from the Great North Rd- the left lane is a free lane heading onto the Flyover ONLY not Cairo Rd people! Also coming onto great East from Katima Mulilo left lane is FREE.
That means GO in the correct lane NOT stop!

Gosh do yourselves a favour and apply some basic sense, so everyone can get around!
Jezabel

Re: DRIVING IN ZAMBIA

Postby Drive a Sccoter » 11th July 2011, 03:27

Jezabel,

I had all those problems when i moved to a new country (outside zambia) almost all the streets where bloody one way (things you hardly ever see in Zambia) so you can imagine my chagrin--i was lost half the time. so maybe all those nasty drivers you see are migrants from all over the world and are still getting the hang of zed roads.

"No idea of the difference between a FAST and SLOW lane" --you can forgive this group too. after navigating crater holed roads in the townships the live when they get to town theyve pretty much lost their sense of direction.
Drive a Sccoter

Postby Tired Zambian » 26th July 2011, 11:12

Oh Yes Jezabel,
That is all true...I agree with you, unfortunately most of the 'drivers' have licenses without ever learning the highway code, traffic rules and ESP common courtesy.
@Drive a Sccoter, please keep riding your scooter because these people are NOT migrants from a different country, they're are ZAMBIANS! You cannot forgive anyone who does not know the road rules because it may cost a life. So NO, NO FORGIVENESS.

LEARN THE TRAFFIC RULES and not just the highway code, people do not know how to read a traffic sign (if they even exist in this country!!!!)
Tired Zambian

Postby santos » 19th December 2014, 13:12

before getting on the road i suppose one must have read already the driving guide lines found in the code. that is the reason why there is driving school. the fact that my uncle,dad or who so ever related to me has a car, hence he taught me how to drive must be a reason to get on the road ignorantly. friends that is why we witness alot of accidents. when one has the knowledge of the driving code he knos what to do at a right time in a right place. the exhortation goes to ratsa pipo to make sure that pipo dont just get licences but are also trained by qualified pipo, i even wonder how they obtain them. zambia is respected in Africa in terms of discipline on the road, compared to central and west african countries. getting a Zambian driver taking him to the city of kinshasa or yaoundé i ask myself if he can drive, meaning the formation has to be authentic i feel we luck tha!
santos

Return to Roads & Traffic (Road quality, traffics lights, etc.)