Minibus conductors and heavy women

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Minibus conductors and heavy women

Postby Josephine » 23rd August 2010, 17:01

Dear Zambia,

Some bus conductors are very silly. They make you pay double price when you are fat because they say you are taking up space for two people. That's not fair. Government should look into this on behalf of the heavier women.
Josephine

Re: Minibus conductors and heavy women

Postby Dudu » 23rd August 2010, 17:22

Josephine,

International airlines also charge double if you are on the excessively big size.
Dudu

Postby Cold ice » 23rd August 2010, 17:42

Josephine,

Dudu is right. airlines have been doing the same for years now.

But consider this. What is more silly? A business trying to protect its profits or a person ballooning to size XXXXXXXX-large without pausing and saying to himself, say am growing too fat for my own good. Maybe it's time I reduce my intake of food before I burst wide open.

Tell me Josephine, who is sillier? The business or the balloon man who can't stop eating?
Cold ice

Postby Cold ice » 23rd August 2010, 17:53

I think if any government agency has any time and money to spare, they should be promoting safe bicycle lanes in our cities and teaching good nutrition to our citizens. And not encouraging fatness by penalizing minibus operators for doing what any reasonable business would do.

Maybe not in 100% of cases, but in the vast majority of cases, fatness is self induced and can easily be controlled with discipline and common sense. Fatness is harmful to the individual's health and is a burden to social services like healthcare and minibus space.
Cold ice

Postby Josephine » 23rd August 2010, 18:13

People who get on airlines have money. Those who get on minibuses in Zambia are poor, we can't afford two fares.
Josephine

Postby Cold ice » 23rd August 2010, 19:17

Josephine my darling, please do not mistake me for a cold hearted bugger. Poverty, I understand and sympathise with. It's over-eating that's incomprehensible to me.

If a man is growing too fat, stop eating too much, for the love of God! Maintaining a reasonable weight is in the best interest of the fat man himself.

And if any fat man out there is confused about what weight is deemed "reasonable" do not despair. Simply hop on a minibus and see if they charge you single or double fare. The former fare signifies "reasonable" weight and the latter is an indication of "unreasonable" weight. Believe it or not, it's that simple

There are many things in life, one can claim poverty as a defense. Fatness is not one of those things.

What is that old old saying?? "...Blessed are the poor, for they shall inherit the earth. Better to be poor than a fat man in the eye of a needle..." something.... something.
I forgot the exact words. but anyway....
Cold ice

Postby Doctor P » 24th August 2010, 08:02

Poor people find it easier to get fat because

1. They can't usually affordable healthy foods and eat junk foods (in many countries, not all).
2. They are uneducated, so they don't know about healthy foods or fat avoiding habits
3. They may eat a lot whenever they have the chance because they don't know where the next meal is coming from, so they end up with extra fat to carry.

Before you jump to judging them and thinking they are just "silly", try to think about these points first. I think it might be senseless to add punishment in fares on top of all their problems.
Doctor P

Postby Cold ice » 24th August 2010, 08:33

Doc,

You must be talking about such desolate places as the USA or UK and maybe Australia. The Samoan Islands too. China as well, with their modern day genetically engineered fat pigs. These places have the distinction of having very cheap fatty food.

I grew up in Zambia. On good days I had breakfast. That consisted of mealie meal porridge. Or what the Jamaicans call corn porridge. Bob Marley raved about it in his ‘No Woman No Cry’. It’s all carbohydrates, no fat. Mealie meal porridge was maybe 50-50. Half the time, we had to make do with no breakfast at all. Lunch and supper consisted of more mealie meal and mostly green vegetables or beans. Sometimes we had fish, beef, pork or chicken. Those were special occasions. In season, we had dried caterpillars or termites. From our own sweat and ingenuity, we could have wild bird for dinner if our sling-shots were on target. Sometimes, that wild bird was the size of Rupiah Banda's fat finger nail. That is poor, Doc, Zambian style.

All n all, the diet of a poor Zambian is lean, short on fat and sugar, big on veggies and carbos. Most Poor Zambians have the “blessing in disguise” in the form of a non-fat diet.

Doc, I s#!t you not. That fat man being charged double fare on a Lusaka minibus has an easy way out of his predicament. STOP SWALLOWING TOO MUCH FOOD!
Cold ice

Postby Doctor P » 24th August 2010, 09:37

Cold,

you just read my first point and quickly rushed to click on "reply to this letter" before you could lose your thought. There were more points after that.

Take a deep breath now and read the entirety of my last post before your fingers jump to click anything.
Doctor P

Postby Dizo » 24th August 2010, 10:32

Doc,

I agree with you, lets not be judgemental on people pre-disposed to a heavier weight. Some of this is attributable to genetics and has got nothing to do whatsoever with food intake. I know a few like this, who starve the whole day but lose not a millimetre on their waist.
Dizo

Postby Cold ice » 24th August 2010, 16:42

Doc,

I read your entire post twice before I replied. You may want to consider that I chose to reply to the points I want, not those you wanted me to reply to. It's ok to disagree, however.

Dizo,, you been watching too many Oprah TV shows perhaps. Those who are "predisposed" to be porky, just have to work extra harder to maintain a healthy weight. Just like some of us dull chaps in school have to work extra harder in our studies to keep up with the genius folk like Doc. Excuses in life will get you nowhere. I think those mini bus operators have every right to charge Mr. Fatso, double fare. It's nothing personal. Just business.
Cold ice

Postby BBW » 26th August 2010, 13:55

I beg to differ,not all people that are big are that way because they overeat.I dont understand why people cant hustle the short people or tall ones,better still,the slim/thin ones.Respect other people's body's we are all fearfully and wonderfully made.-
BBW

Postby Cold ice » 27th August 2010, 02:01

My darling BBW:

A neologism is a newly coined word or phrase that may be in the process of entering common use, but has not yet been accepted into mainstream language.

BBW (Big Beautiful Woman) is such a phrase. It is often used as an affirmation of sexual attraction to women who are, shall we say, "above average weight". In plainer terms, fat mamas.

The terms "Big Beautiful Women" and "BBW" were coined by Carole Shaw in 1979, when she launched BBW Magazine, a fashion and lifestyle magazine for fat women.

So there you have it, my darling. I just thought you may want to know, in case you are wantonly going around shaking what God gave you, without a clue as to what your name stands for.
Cold ice

Postby Vesta » 27th August 2010, 12:59

Dear Zambia,

No one is criticising the fat/thin/short/tall here. The bottom line is, if you want to be fat you will pay double the fare. Period! We understand that some are huge due to genetics and tyroid problems (these are exceptions), but you wont be excused in a bus/flight (unless you produce medical document). For now, just exercise more and eat healthy as it will take off even a kilo.
Vesta

Postby Cold ice » 27th August 2010, 18:06

You see now, people like Vesta understand how the modern world works. You can blame genetics or whatnot for being fat, but without documentation, the minibus operator has the right to charge you double fare.

In California and Oregon USA today, you can smoke ganja openly as long as you can produce prescription for a doctor. Medical marijuana, they call it. No police or employer or anyone can harass you for smoking ganja if you can produce the documentation. As for the police, if they catch you, you better have that piece of paper in your possession at that very moment. Otherwise you will be carted to the police station in a patty wagon.

But that is how things work. Without the paper, you have nothing. How are you going to argue that you have the right to deprive a minibus operator his fare by parking your fat buttocks into two seats, and with no papers from the doctor? Sorry madam.
Cold ice

Postby Sorghum » 31st March 2015, 01:35

[quote="Josephine"]Dear Zambia,
Some bus conductors are very silly. They make you pay double price when you are fat because they say you are taking up space for two people. That's not fair. Government should look into this on behalf of the heavier women.[/quote]

For the love of God!
Sorghum

Postby Anti-Politics » 31st March 2015, 12:55

Cold ice wrote:
> Doc,

> All n all, the diet of a poor Zambian is lean, short on fat and sugar, big
> on veggies and carbos. Most Poor Zambians have the “blessing in disguise”
> in the form of a non-fat diet.

Ba Cold Ice,

You are so very mistaken. What you are calling carbs (the nsimas and the porrige), is also sugar. It is STARCH, which is made of GLUCOSE sugars. So after digestion, those starches are also broken down to simple sugars. And when you have excess sugars, the body stores them in the fact in form of fats. So almost anything you eat can make you fat.

But, us the poor people in Zambia, have one natural advantage, we naturaly live active lives - alot of walking, hard work, cycling na fimbi ifingi. That is why if u find a very poor zambian who is very fat, then there are 98.98% that it is genetical.

The biggest problem peolpe in Zambia is the middle class. Once they buy a used automobile from Japan, they can no longer walk, or bike. And with the mushrooming of junkie foods place in zambia (like KFC, PIzzas, etc), they stop preparing healthy (and cheaper) meals at home. These are the biggest problem.
Anti-Politics

Postby mr zambia » 31st March 2015, 13:29

Josephine wrote :
> Dear Zambia,
>
> Some bus conductors are very silly. They make you pay double price when you
> are fat because they say you are taking up space for two people. That's not
> fair. Government should look into this on behalf of the heavier women.

Thats what u pay for being greedy and eating too much food carelessly they must be taught a lesson.
mr zambia

Next Page

Return to Roads & Traffic (Road quality, traffics lights, etc.)