I think the councils should collect road tax

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

I think the councils should collect road tax

Postby Donchikubeba » 20th April 2012, 13:54

Dear Zambia,

We drive on our city councils roads why should RTSA collect this money and buy themselves fancy rides for games of cops and robbers ?
Donchikubeba

Re: I think the councils should collect road tax

Postby Vee » 20th April 2012, 17:51

Donchikubeba

I'm sure you would not make this suggestion unless you were convinced it had merit. But I am not sure how your suggestion will help the situation. Knowing what I know about Zambia, the councils collecting the tax is simply replacing one crook with another. It will be the council people who will be buying new rides and playing games of cops and robbers. Some of the worst abuses of power I have seen in these city councils.

These poor countries of ours suffer from a rotten culture of mismanagement, acute corruption and a mentality that is devoid of the ideal of 'working for the common good'.
Vee

Re: I think the councils should collect road tax

Postby Donchikubeba » 23rd April 2012, 08:38

@Vee.You have opened an old wound.Indeed it is disheartening that we dare not subscribe to the basic need for all to work together for the common good.Greed and corruption ( of the souls) has more than consumed our people, they have become the vice itself.

From a practical perspective i beleive localising development is the way to go.Administration and further administration is our current system ,can you imagine what is left of a say your road tax of 68pin,when it has to be routed from RATSA to treasury to RDA to who knows where else ? just the paper work envolved is enough to turn your contribution into a negative digit !
For instance the CDF is a very progresive development vehicle , however as you have rightly mentioned we have too many hungry crooks dressed in shheps cloths on our systems. I pray the day will come when i wont be afraid to open the windows of my own house for fear of the huge whirls of dust that sweep down my street making most waste lands look like the eden of pastures !
Donchikubeba

councils should collect road tax-Traffic

Postby Ha! » 16th May 2012, 15:48

I second the motion propose by Honarable Donchikubeba. How are councils to survive FTJ sold their main source of income and now they are trying to hike rates to make up.The goverment grants are clearly insufficient for them to deliver their mandated services.

E.g the inner surburb roads must be sorted out to help ease the growing congestion, if no one is watching or plannning to mitigate the trend we will soon be like nairobi , a 20km strecth from the airport to our hotel took us 2hrs !
Ha!

Return to Roads & Traffic (Road quality, traffics lights, etc.)