Asian surprise

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Asian surprise

Postby Diplomat » 20th May 2012, 08:32

Dear Zambia,
Due to the nature of my job, I mostly spend months abroad. In various countries. I have been mostly visiting Europe and the USA.

The fuel prices has always been a matter of great anxiety for me, as in Zambia, we all use BIG cars. I dont know what it is with us, but we dont seem to like small cars. Or may be its because we only get Japanese cars, built during the 90's. have we ever considered that we are buying cars that are consuming very high fuel and also deleting our environment faster as none of them are Euro IV compliant, as far as environmental regulations are concerned.

I had a very pleasant experience this time when I was in India for a month. I rarely visit Asian countries and like many others, I am also very apprehensive about safety in Asian countries. But India was a bundle o surprise for me. I saw millions of high fuel efficiency cars on the road, all MADE IN INDIA. I immediately thought of our beautiful country Zambia, and thought how much more fuel we are wasting by driving those big Japanese cars.

I especially saw small diesel cars from Maruti (A Govt. of India enterprise) Chevrolet, Ford, Hyundai, VW, and many others, and all of them are giving a mileage between 18 and 25 Kms. per liter of fuel. The price of Diesel is half than that of petrol in India. I dont know how that country is managing its economy. But apart from the stinking dirt, dust, heat, neck choking crowd, and crowd crowd and crowd, the country is doing fine. People look prosperous. They are a bit unfriendly though. But I had no issue moving about among them.

I just wondered why Zambia do not get those small cars from India? I am sure they are cheaper also. I particularly drove a car (Maruti Ritz Diesel), which gave me more than 20 Kms on a liter of diesel, which cost less than a Dollar. Wont that be good for our economy too, since there will be a huge cut down on the fuel usage?

We have always been looking towards the West, mainly because we are an English speaking country. But probably there are surprises for us, if we look towards Asia, especially towards India, as I am still not certain about Chinese quality of goods and services.Dear Zambia,
Diplomat

Re: Asian surprise

Postby Slumdog Shalapungu » 20th May 2012, 16:08

Come on man you know when it comes to most zambians its not about fuel efficiency its about nifuna bani one or baza ziba bwanji. When buying a car its not about how fuel efficient it is its about how flashy you'll look to the point where people will be asking nichi ndani chija . Ni pa zed you have have to fake it till you make it , its about the look not reality. I do know those indian cars have secret compartments with a nuclear battery because i do remember doing errands in a tata in zed and the fuel gauge was always on empty but never ran out of fuel. Wghat i don't understand is why the aesthetic appeal of a vehicle is directly linked to its fuel efficiency when it comes to indian manufacturing. Its always the mahindra jeeps, matiz, chenai's and tata's thare fuel efficient, how come the luxury audi's , benz and other
Slumdog Shalapungu

Postby JCK » 20th May 2012, 17:56

Mr Diplomat,

Whilst fuel consumption is a very important consideration we must not forget the deplorable state of our roads, I am more likely to put that first when buying a new car because I want to be sure I will not end up being stuck during the rains but even in the dry season my road and many others are bad. So sometimes it is not about wanting to be seen in big cars but for a few of us it is just practical to drive that type of car for now. Given a choice i would not mind a car that i dont to re fuel even weekend or so.
JCK

Postby Nostrademus » 21st May 2012, 09:26

you know i bought a car from Japan, a really nice German sedan of which im now regretting. i was just blown away with the pics and specs but the damn thing CANNOT be driven offroad or rather off the tarmac. while fuel consumption is fair considering the engine displacement,it's not a very 'practical' ride. when im rolling down Cairo road however, ni zimya neighbour!
Nostrademus

Postby Dilomat » 21st May 2012, 13:18

It was unfortunate that I stayed for a very short while in India. Road traffic is terrible, no one is bothered about any traffic rule and people drive everywhere except the roads. Road rage in India is like watching a film. And its a surprise as to why all pedestrians do not die by the minute. Every one is hooting and honking. In comparison, Zambian roads and driving discipline are 100% better. I am still surprised that how a robust economy like India is driven by more than a billion people, whom I cannot exactly call disciplined. But they have little secrets like 'saving'. The high fuel efficient vehcle is just one of them. And in 2011, hen I was there, the quality of those vehicles have also improved immensely. I have seen even big car like Toyota Corrolla giving a mileage of 18Kms per liter of. I made this thread, so that we also create our little secrets to develop our own economy.
Dilomat

Postby JCK » 21st May 2012, 18:18

So what car do you suggest for pot holes and bumpy roads mr diplomat? You did not say that roads in India are bad but just bad traffic and congestion that is very different from potholes and bumpy gravel roads surely. those tatas dont look too strong to me my neighbour had one in our little farming area and it started looking very shabby after a year. So what other makes can one consider?
JCK

Postby Mabampu » 21st May 2012, 18:32

Nostrademus wrote :
> you know i bought a car from Japan, a really nice German sedan of which im
> now regretting.

Nostra,
you are the genius here. You went all the way to japan to buy a german car. when you could have simply gone over to germany. When you die, please give me permission to extarct your genius genes.
Mabampu

Postby Dilomat » 22nd May 2012, 17:01

You are right. The Indian cars are not really made for farming area. Except Mahindra built Boleros and Scorpion (I hope I got the names right), all other cars are city cars. But you can try Maruti Ritz Diesel. Its a very strong car, with an amazingly powerful engine, although its a 1.3 Litre engine. This engine is built by Fiat and has got many international award. I almost brought one into Zambia. Mileage- 22 kms per liter on the highway and 19 kms in the city with air condition on full blast.
Dilomat

Postby Profiler » 22nd May 2012, 18:18

Dilomat wrote :
> You are right.

Your name is Diplomat not Dilomat. Please take note.
Profiler

Postby JCK » 22nd May 2012, 21:07

Profiler that was a very smart observation LOL well done mr dilomat or diplomat hahahahahhaa
JCK

Return to Roads & Traffic (Road quality, traffics lights, etc.)