My friends future wife wants a prenup

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

My friends future wife wants a prenup

Postby ???? » 26th May 2012, 11:07

Dear Zambia,

My friend's future wife wants a prenup. They have dated my wife for 3 years, and have been engaged for 1 year. Both 31 years old.

After they got engaged, his Fiancée told him, that her sister won the lottery 4 years ago and shared it with her, my friend (the guy) had no idea, she and her sister does not live like she they are millionaire but her bank account says so. In fact she has maintained a regular job & life style all this time, her investment she kept on the low.

She asked if him if he had a problem signing a prenup, he said yes, he said was marrying her because I love her, and didn't know about any money.

This situation made him wonder if he really knows her, and if she could keep a secret this big from him, then what else is she capable of. Me his friend told him that he was being irrational with those doubts.

My question is, do you think she is right to ask him to sign a prenup? he says he has no issue signing it as he does not think we'll divorce but then again neither do most people that get married think they will divorce.

If roles were reversed, and he was the millionaire, and he asked her to sign a prenup, would your answer be the same? To put things into pespective, my friend is Zambian and his future wife is French, but they live in Canada.

Who ever responds to this - please tell me how you feel about prenups. If you had the money, would you ask your partner to sign? I also wonder if its common in Zambia for a partner to take the spouse to the cleaners as they say? Are prenups common in Zambia?
????

Re: My friends future wife wants a prenup

Postby Pro prenup » 26th May 2012, 11:15

Marriage is a gamble, why should she wager millions on you? odds are it won't last. That is my opinion. I think prenups are a good idea, its a way of protecting yourself, but i think it would be frowned upon here at home in Zambia. Prenups make a lot of sense. Further, i think some Zambian if not most are ignorant about Prenups.

I have not heard of divorces in Zambia were someone has been taken to the cleaners. In most cases the women just wait for the man to die, so that way they can have everything. Thats just my opinion - feel free to insult me if you like.
Pro prenup

Postby old skool » 26th May 2012, 11:17

I would have had to tell her I would not be with a female who had more cash than me. If i loved her or not tell her to give it away then I would marry her. It's that simple.
old skool

Postby Ronaldo » 26th May 2012, 11:24

Yes, she's right for making you sign a prenup. Curb the ego and crush the pride. And, yes, if the situation was reversed, I'd ask HER to sign a prenup. If I got married today, I'd ask her to sign a prenup, and I don't have that much. Maybe if i had alot.

That being said, i think prenups are a western thing, but african or Zambia. But i will tell you this, even if we divorced she would not take me for half. Over my dead body.

Good luck and God bless.
Ronaldo

Postby Sense » 27th May 2012, 01:33

prenup is a Western import. Unfortunately we Africans are going at a super accelerated speed in adopting anything Western. We don't care if it's good or bad. As long as it's Western, we want it.

I can bet you there is a village girl in Zambia who asked her husband-to-be for a prenup. Not because she knows what a prenup is. but because she saw it on TV. And if that husband is smart, he can give her a pair of shoes and tell her, that's your prenup honey. And the village girl will say, thank you, I got my prenup now.
Sense

Postby Slumdog Shalapungu » 27th May 2012, 13:40

Prenup is a wise thing especially in these days where marriages are not home cooked but microwaved. Its become the norm to get married 5 years later divorce and resent the person and look to destroy them somehow. All that love business doesn't mix with money, in a materialistic world where people kill their own family for money you have to be stupid not to take that into account. Marriage should be about you leave with what you came with and what you contributed. The woman is right because a prenup is only used scheisse hits the fan, so if dude ,loves her why is he worried unless once he heard they were milli's an agenda was formed in his lukobo. Put yourself in the person asking for the prenup lets say you have 5 million in bank account somewhere, when it comes to the divorce a person takes half when you know damn well they did not put a calorie of energy towards getting that money. Good thing these prenups and divorce laws don't exist in zambia because we are a paternalistic society unlike america where its maternal society thanks to the militant feminists. Only law from the west that needs to be implemented is child support maybe that will make zambians wear condoms instead of going live
Slumdog Shalapungu

Postby Airborne » 28th May 2012, 22:02

Never marry a woman who earns more than u do.
Airborne

Postby JCK » 29th May 2012, 09:46

Let him just sign the pre nup she is just trying to make sure that she does not lose her money, she had this money before she met him and has been wise enough not live an extravagant life so there is nothing wrong with wanting to protect herself. Both men and women have been known everywhere to swindle spouses out of money.
JCK

Return to Roads & Traffic (Road quality, traffics lights, etc.)