Speed bumps and council stupidity at its best

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Speed bumps and council stupidity at its best

Postby Kabwela » 14th June 2012, 18:21

Dear Zambia,

Last week I nearly ran over a new speed bump on the new tarmac road that comes from St Ignatious church at the intersection of the five roads. It had just been created and was placed at a point where there is tree shade. It can hardly be seen from afar. There are no road signs to warn you and it is not even painted with yellow paint. I am pretty sure many drivers have broken their suspensions, especially at night. Why does this kind of thing happen since it is not too hard for the speed bump guys to go with the sign post guys and the painters?
Kabwela

Re: Speed bumps and council stupidity at its best

Postby Kamwendo » 14th June 2012, 19:01

Dear Kabwela,

Please forgive me because I really hate to be the bearer of bad news.

If you hit that speed bump too hard and caused damage to your car, you had what's coming to you. You deserve it.

Those speed bumps are strategically placed to conform with the safe speed limits of a particular area. If you were going at the safe speed limit, you would not hit the speed bump as hard as you did. If you hit it too hard, it means you were over-speeding. You are the kinds of drivers who hit pedestrians and cause all kinds of havoc on the road.

Slow down!
Kamwendo

Postby Efi » 14th June 2012, 21:33

Kamwendo, the council should put road signs and mark their large humps. Those humps are a nuisance and it doesnt matter what speed you are driving (ok, maybe less than 50km/hr) if you hit it, your car will be sent flying especially these tiny cars.
Efi

Postby Kamwendo » 14th June 2012, 21:48

ba Efi,

I believed Kabwela was up to no good and was not a safe driver. But a man of your reputation, I will have to change my mind and accept your explanation. Thanks.
Kamwendo

Postby q-tip » 15th June 2012, 09:06

Kamwendo
if you owned or drove a car yourself you would know that even at low speeds when you run over at a speed hump your car will 'jump' that's why warning signs have to be there to caution the driver to slow down because even at low speeds once you reach at a speed hump you normaly have to slow down further.
q-tip

Postby Kabwela » 15th June 2012, 14:44

Be careful on the road behind St Mary's school in Woodlands. Two new humps there, one by the entrance to St Dominic's Seminary and the other near the school gate and of course there are no warnings of any kind. The top of the humps are already scratched from cars going over at high speed, plus a few skid marks. Only in Zambia.
Kabwela

Postby Efi » 15th June 2012, 19:10

The humps in zambia are better approached at 20km/hr if one is driving a small car. i am not so sure about big cars coz i have never driven one. kamwendo, me is a woman not a man sha!
Efi

Postby Kamwendo » 15th June 2012, 19:42

A woman! even better, ba Efi. Women tend to have a better reputation than men. As you already know:)

q-tip,
you zeroed in on the weak link as far as my understanding of the subject at hand. I don't got a car. So I was really commenting against my better judgement.

And I have gotten quite good on my bicycle. I can do those jumps over the road bumps like a circus performer. Lately I even taught myself that neat trick of lifting the front wheel while peddling and going only on the back wheel.
Kamwendo

Postby Ha! » 18th June 2012, 13:29

Any legal eggheads on this forum ? Wading in peanut butter is of course an understatement as far as the efficiency of the court process in zambia is concerned.but mukwai, i presume the council in providing the humps for safety reasons have a duty of care not to create a hazard with the same speed barriers, is a civil suit posible ? i am so eritated at how these people ( especially LWSC and LCC) act so carelessly, we live with them and they use the same roads abut wouldnt be the wiser to ensure appropriate signs are placed where necessary.When i worked in industrial area a few years ago i personally asked to see the roads engineer to ask him why he couldnt fix a growing pot hole which was right outside his office gate on shake shake road !
Ha!

Postby Vimbovu » 19th June 2012, 16:28

Ms. Ha!

Maybe the blame should be placed squarely on the mayor. The mayor of my city set up a hotline where any resident can call to report a specific road hazard that needs fixing. Be it a pot hole, missing road sign, fallen tree, etc etc. And it's not just a useless hotline. A response is guaranteed within 48 hours. Considering this is Zambia maybe we should realistically expect a response within 7 days. Maybe 14. But for goodness sakes, can't the mayor do something like that? What is he doing in his mayor's office all day anyway?
Vimbovu

Postby Ha! » 19th June 2012, 17:37

@ Vimbuvu, its Bwana Ha!, who is the mayor any way ? which hot line , i must apologise i am in a world of my own and hardly know any civic leaders apart from the former UNIP ward chairman , who is now a PF cadre. Which hotline give us the digits ? they should also run a script on ZNBC of sms hotline posts, similar to the one on BIG brother ( its all i am forced to watch these days ), i have a word or two to share !
Ha!

Postby Donchikubeba » 19th June 2012, 17:39

I like the ring of the word STUPIDITY, makes me feel important !
Indeed , where are the elected ?
Attachments
politicians.jpg
politicians.jpg (51.57 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
Donchikubeba

Postby Vimbovu » 19th June 2012, 17:47

Bwana Ha! my apologies.

When I mentioned "my city", I forgot to add the words "of residence". It's not really my city. Very far from the Zambian borders. Again, my sincere apologies for misleading.

p.s. the name is Vimbovu, not Vimbuvu. Please take note. My ancestors could be turning in their graves if they saw how their name has been corrupted.
Vimbovu

Postby Kabwela » 19th June 2012, 20:03

The humps behind St Mary's have really wrecked havoc. Last time I was driving through the road a few days ago, I saw several cars hit the humps at around 50-60km/h. The top of the humps are now scratched and the skid marks have become longer. If this were a civilised country, someone should have sued these council idiots by now. One thing we can all do is call the MTN traffic watch program on Radio Phoenix ten minutes before 8 and 13 hours (assuming it is still running). I hope Mr Kapata can answer our concerns.
Kabwela

Postby Chipuku » 19th June 2012, 20:16

ba Kabwela,

I see you are kinda pissed. Sorry about that.

Please allow me to suggest a solution to turn this uncivilized country into one where the citizens take matters into their own hands. I'm not talking about no vigilantism. Let me explain.

Why don't we use the social networks to our advantage? Let's use DZ, twitter, FB and even ZWD. Every time one hits a inconspicuous bump in the road, let us alert one another through our social networks by giving exact location of these road bumps. This way, other drivers will know not to hit those same road bumps at 50km/hour.

How about it. I think we have already established that the baboons who are sitting in our city council offices are useless bi-pedal animals. So let's try to take matters into out own hands. We the civilized citizens.

One thing is for sure. If we sit on our asses and simply cry about it on DZ, them baboons at city council will not lift their damn asses to fix this problem.
Chipuku

Return to Roads & Traffic (Road quality, traffics lights, etc.)