Roads of death

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Roads of death

Postby Fearfull » 10th August 2012, 09:19

Dear Zambia,

I read an article about the 13,500 road accidents and 870 deaths resulting from them, on our few roads in Zambia. I read comments on the article where people were blaming the government, RTSA etc. I lay the blame with road users and the Police force. Over the long weekend the police have put up more roadblocks, which is all good and well, but honestly, you can have a license and a road worthy vehicle and still drive horribly where you know, no police officer is ever found. And they are not. How many times have you seen them pulling over a vehicle overtaking on a white line? And yet those are some of the worst accidents. When is the last time you found them conducting a speed trap in a 100km zone to catch the @$$holes that drive 140km per hour and over? What about public transport busses? I had the horrible misfortune to have used them and sat there terrified and crying as the bus driver was well over 140 km per hour, overtaking anyhow and since I was the only person complaining, just kept driving like that. All the other passengers just happily sat there, chaffed that they will get there faster, while he refused to let me off. At each and every road block, his bus was never checked, he greeted all the police officers by name and sped off again. I find it hard to believe that the police cant afford a ticket to put a police officer in plain clothes on these busses every so often. On the road I use to go home, there is an unholy conglomerate of mini busses. They park in the road, on corners. If you hoot at them you get verbally assaulted and told to f off, since they pay a lot of money to do whatever they want. You have to wonder to whom? I had the misfortune to have one of those same minibusses make a turn straight in front of my oncoming vehicle and had a bad accident. Like a flash, the minibus drivers had called all their friends, moved the bus, and called their friend at the police station. I was charged with causing the accident, although it was evident who caused it. The minibus driver had no drivers license, no fitness, no insurance. I refused to sign admission of guilt and had to pay a lawyer for my court case. Not once did even the prosecutor let up and even she came to my office just hanging around (I'm assuming expecting something) Then we get to the point of cyclists and pedestrians. I could be wrong, but I am pretty certain that cyclists and pedestrians are not allowed to use a highway? Yet, travel to the Copperbelt and not only do they use it, they drive and drink beer (???) talk on mobile phones and swerve wherever they want. And then God help you if you hit one. I had asked the traffic officers to tell me how many cyclists and pedestrians they have charged with causing accidents and everyone just gets uncomfortable and mumbles and tells me its none of my business. Can we assume they don't get charged because they don't have enough money to give the officers? Then they should do jail time. If they use the road, they should also do so responsibly. Further on there seems to be an alarming mentality amongst especially male drivers that they are the gods of this road and may drive however they want. They seem to think it makes them a big man. Why are the police allowing this? WHY?
Fearfull

Re: Roads of death

Postby Observing » 11th August 2012, 10:05

The problem is simple ban alcohol and see the sobberness which will arise from this road carnage per zed especilly this f '''''minibus and taxi drivers
Observing

Postby Peter Parker » 11th August 2012, 14:55

Observing

some of us are more alert pa road with two Castle in our blood stream and we actually drive even better. my panoramic view is super enhanced, i develop those spider-man danger senses but TRUST me i am the most courteous driver you will ever see.

ok on a serious note mwandi, i fully relate with what fearful has stated and ive observed just about everything he's talking about. ive always been of the view that all import taxes on motor vehicle spares especially tyres should be completely scrapped off. most of my driving is long distance, town to town and ive seen what our bad roads can do to our tyres, especialy ma used ones.
Peter Parker

Postby crystalite » 13th August 2012, 16:14

Drove from the copperbelt over the weekend, saw about 7 motor vehicle accidents... these are not even reported on the news and stuff like that. They are to many to keep up with. Some cars appeared simply banged up here and there and others looked like someone drove through an industrial shredding machine, like the muzungu farmer's hilux we found being towed away... shredded bane and the truck involved, burnt to ashes. The amazing things is the way people drive. The speeding. The arrogant truck drivers, especially the foreign ones. The overtaking anyhow, even at blind corners. The careless parking on roadsides. Death traps, proper. Don't even blame the police. Take a drive on the major roads and see for yourself. We have crazy experimenting drivers on our roads and most of them are sober.
crystalite

Postby ED » 13th August 2012, 17:31

Observing wrote :
> The problem is simple ban alcohol and see the sobberness which will arise
> from this road carnage per zed especilly this f '''''minibus and taxi
> drivers

Let's be real and practical. Banning booze is not only impractical but impossible. If we are serious about this problem, lets look for realistic solutions. Enforcing strict drunk driving laws would help. You cannot stop people from drinking. But we can help preventing them from getting behind the wheel. It's not easy to do when half the police officers themselves are drunk on the job. But it can be done.

We can also try to have the booze providers shoulder some of the responsibilities. When they see a patron who is drunk and seems to get ready to go drive, they should be given the right to confiscate the car keys.
ED

Postby Ha! » 14th August 2012, 09:15

crystalite wrote :
The amazing things is the way people drive. The speeding. The arrogant truck drivers, especially the foreign ones. The overtaking anyhow, even at blind corners. The careless parking on roadsides. Death traps, proper. Don't even blame the police.

Crystalite , youre absolutely right, 90% of drivers are halfwits ! some idiot was bragging of getting to livingstone in 3 hours in his 2nd hand 5 series BMW, all for what ? a waiting girlfreind ? @$%*:/.And our roads dont leave mcuh to chance , where you thought the road was good two days ago now has a pothole the size of a fishpond.
A colleague of mine told me one day
'If you drive a car be mindfull that if you :
-Dont damage the car , you wont damage yourself
-if you damage the car and yourself you are likely to damge someone else !
Ha!

Return to Roads & Traffic (Road quality, traffics lights, etc.)