Manda Hill Great East Road traffic lights

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Manda Hill Great East Road traffic lights

Postby Mangani Jere » 9th July 2010, 12:28

Dear Zambia,

I have a huge problem with the traffic lights that control the Great East road exit from Manda Hill. They cause unnecessary traffic jams because they are not synchronised with the ones at the foot bridge where Addis Ababa and Great East roads meet. So when the ones at the exit are red, the other ones are green and traffic coming from the other two main roads piles up until the junction is blocked. This so frustrating during peak hour.

Over seven months ago, I called the MTN traffic watch program to complain to Mr Kapata and I made a very practical suggestion that they should just remove the traffic lights and close the exit into Great East road from Manda Hill by extending the middle island so that no one can turn right into Great East Road and everyone would have to use Manchinchi Road if they need to go towards Addis Ababa drive or town. This solution is immediate and has instant results and has been used in INdependence Avenue at Kamwala and in Freedom Way near North End.

He answered saying that his engineers had advised him that the best solution would be a new signalling system that would syncronise the two sets of traffic lights. Nothing has been done in more than half a year. Their 'best' solution is more expensive and time consuimng while traffic gets worse every week. What is wrong with these people? Dont they experience the same things as the rest of us? Why insist on a solution that wont work in a hundred years?
Mangani Jere

Re: Manda Hill Great East Road traffic lights

Postby TK » 9th July 2010, 15:39

Mangani,

You are one of the many zambians with innovatative ideas which go to waste because when you present them to our Myopic leaders,they go to waste.

MandaHill will be a disaster come december if yours and other ideas about traffic in mandahill and lusakaa at large are not taken seriously.Lets just keep talking.

My suggestion was to extended great east road by three lanes so that the left lane from town be just for traffic into the Mandahill and do an over bridge for traffic from the Airport because manchichi might no handle all the trafic.The stretch from the robots is short.
TK

Postby Mangani Jere » 25th August 2010, 12:23

The traffic lights are now off for almost two weeks. Maybe they finally listened to our complaints. But then again, they could just be faulty, hopefully for good. The middle island is not closed though.
Mangani Jere

Postby Tired Zambian » 17th September 2010, 14:15

These lights have been an issue for a long time. they were recently switched off because of the high construction going on at the mall itself and now they are back on!!! surely they can be switched off during peak hours especially from 4pm to 10am the next day because this is when traffic is heavy flowing either way. I went to manda hill when the traffic lights were off and i managed to go in and out without problems so why is there a need to have traffic lights so close to a bigger junction like the manchinchi/great east road/addis ababa junction? either that or change the exit to manda hill to be at the back, at manda hill road and have entrance only at the front. i mentioned this on the MTN traffic watch too and mr kapata says that manda hill management agreed to fix these lights. so, in the meantime we suffer? and isnt it the responsibility of the council to fix this and not a private individual? im sure they get hefty rates from manda hill management, where is this money being used?
the road being manda hill begs to be fixed too, it cAN be made into a two lane road all the way to Rhodes Park school so that school traffic is diverted from the main road. there is so much that can be done if we the people raise our voices
Tired Zambian

Postby Konga » 18th September 2010, 01:47

All this broken infrastructure might begin to sound a bit weird and absurd. Until you remember that we are in Zambia, gentlemen.

Do you remember KK? I hope you still remember him. Here is a man who was a god, for all practical purposes. Then one day he asked himself. Can I go on My TV station ZNBC and declare that Zambia will become self sufficient in fuel by extracting fuel from elephant grass? Can I do that and still be respected as the president? And somehow he answered to himself, 'yes, I can'. Do you see what I mean gentlemen. This is Zambia.
Konga

Postby Shi tata » 18th September 2010, 17:32

In fact its high time we started having traffic lights that are controlled from a traffic control centre where cameras are mounted at very busy junctions so that someone from the control center controls the traffic rather than the old one we have where specific time slots are given to each route. This would drastically reduce traffic because on more time will be given to those that have longer lines of cars compared to those with less or no traffic at all.
Shi tata

Postby Penwell » 19th September 2010, 14:31

I think engineers working on traffic lights in the entire city of lusaka are somehow responsible for the heavy traffic experienced.the timing for lights to change from one colour to the other takes long which keeps vehicles piling up from all directions.i believe a lot of vehicles can pass through in a minute. I have observed this in kitwe where traffic is well controlled by the lights compared to lusaka.a minimum of 5 vehicles pass through before lights change direction.they should also work on timers.
Penwell

Postby Stock » 19th September 2010, 16:23

Shi tata, I like your idea of someone controlling traffic from some remote control centre. But I don't think it can work in Zambia. The traffic controller will sometimes come for work drunk. I leave the rest to your imagination!
Stock

Postby KC » 20th September 2010, 22:26

Are you trying to suggest that Zambians drink more beer than Nigerians?

I once witnessed an altercation here in Diaspora, which almost came to blows. It was between a group of Zambian students on one side of this fools arena and Nigerian students on the other side. The debate was, who drinks more beer, Zambians or Nigerians?

Now a decent man like you Mr. Shi tata Stock you might think the desired title was 'who drinks less'. But you will be wrong. These two groups of knuckleheads each claimed they could out drink the other.

By the time I had had enough of that donkey's dispute, they had even started placing bets and looked quite eager to carry their braggadocio to fruition. I never found out what happened to those donkeys and frankly, did not want to know :oops:
KC

Postby Mbamba » 20th September 2010, 22:54

Guest my friend, are you going to make your point anytime this year? :mrgreen:
Mbamba

Postby Mr Bo Jangles » 22nd September 2010, 08:10

I have the answer to all the traffic light woes, just like all infrastructure developement is being done by the Chinese, let us ask them for a loan to sort our traffic light woes......easy.
Mr Bo Jangles

Postby Keeke » 22nd September 2010, 08:30

Mohammed, give it up, bro. You are slowly becoming irrelevant.
Keeke

Return to Roads & Traffic (Road quality, traffics lights, etc.)