Lusaka Traffic including Cairo Road & Banks

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Lusaka Traffic including Cairo Road & Banks

Postby Tired Zambian » 17th September 2010, 12:35

Dear Zambia,

Am I the only one who dreads going into town everyday? Cairo road is a nightmare to travel if you are not used to cars changing lanes haphazardly, traffic lights and pedestrian lights work when they want to, cars PARKED in the outermost lane (and more recently in the middle lane too!). Want to decongest Cairo road? Take out ALL the banks except for Bank of Zambia. What causes someone to park in a spot for more than 20 minutes? Banks. The other day, i went to a bank (no names here) and spent 45 minutes just waiting in a queue which did not move so i gave up. now imagine if the job i had was urgent and i couldn't leave...i'd have been there for a couple of hours minimum.
most of the roads coming into lusaka and out need expansion. take mumbwa road, at a major junction like lumumba road, it is a single road which causes so much congestion, especially when we get some 'vip' who is on the way to the funeral houses located along mumbwa road. then we get a funeral car blaring a siren (aren't sirens only supposed to be for emergency vehicles like ambulances and police vehicles?) with lights and hazards on to push you to the side of the road while it carries on to the funeral home. Apologies to the dead but they are so and the cars carrying them can last a few minutes like the rest of us.
another thing which makes me shake my head at the authorities is the state of our roads and traffic lights. traffic lights at the lumumba/kalambo junction have been in such a sorry state for over a year 'because the authorities a) have no money b) want to link the kalambo road to mumbwa road using a slight detour.' a) what happens to all the rates, taxes and rent we pay? is it so little that the council cannot REPLACE a light bulb? b) it is a good idea but when will it materialise? a huge pothole starts from a tiny little hole, if it is fixed in time, craters such as the 7 on Katanga/Mwembeshi road can be avoided and the council can use the money saved for other useful purposes.

One more sorry trend that has cropped up amongst drivers is the running of red lights. in lusaka an amber or yellow light means 'put foot, speed up!' and not 'beware, the lights are turning red now.' sit at the lumumba/mungwi lights for half an hours mr RTSA and you will catch 5 vehicles per light change who just IGNORE the red light and push through. please set up cameras that can pick up the date,time and number plate of the offensive driver. So stop these road blocks which check the license and fitness (these are issued to unroadworthy vehicles anyway, whats the point of them?) and place the officers just after a traffic light to catch these offenders and bring sanity back to our roads.

Finally Zambia, i visited Zimbabwe recently and guess what? at every road block, i was met with polite and concerned police officers who smiled as they conducted their duties. asked me how i was, how far i was going and have a safe journey. in all my years in zambia, i have only ONCE met such a police officer. he was at a roadblock between mazabuka and monze and he was such a pleasant person, asked me if i was travelling far, how the journey had been and to please enjoy monze. i wish i could duplicate him, he seemed to be the kind of person you'd be glad to have serving your nation.

hope the relevant authorities help us on these issues,
have a good day!Dear Zambia,
Tired Zambian

Return to Roads & Traffic (Road quality, traffics lights, etc.)