Road Markings & Pedestrian Crossings

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Road Markings & Pedestrian Crossings

Postby Tired Zambian » 29th September 2010, 15:38

Dear Zambia,

Why is it that only the roads that the President uses are marked properly? Take for instance Great East Road (from Manda Hill to the Airport) and Independence Avenue (from State House to the Freedom Statue). If you go down Cairo Road (our MAIN road), you'll find that there are no markings separating the lanes, the pedestrian crossings (which have been placed in the wrong points to begin with) are so faded you could not be blamed for not stopping there.
All the pedestrian crossings are at the wrong place, for instance how do you have a zebra crossing at the junction of Nkwazi & Cha cha cha road at the point where a) a car stops to see if the way is clear and at b) just after you cross Cha Cha Cha road at the CORNER (where Book hut is)???
Does a car stop far from the junction so that they cannot see on coming traffic so that pedestrians may cross? or should it stop in the middle of Cha Cha Cha road so that a pedestrian may cross?
trust me, im not against these Zebra crossings, they are a right of way for the walking traffic BUT LCC seems to have placed them in the wrong points!!!
HELP!!!
Tired Zambian

Re: Road Markings & Pedestrian Crossings

Postby Got it » 29th September 2010, 15:44

Yes we are all sick and tired of complaining to each other - why can we see the problems and "they" cant???
Try driving from Lusaka to Chirundu - there are stretches in the road that one cannot distinguish what the markings are, but the cops sit and wait for a mistake.......just outside Lusaka and just after Kafue. And....it takes 6 of them to wait for the "kill". What a joke.
I am not only tired, but sick and tired.
Got it

Postby Plofessor » 29th September 2010, 20:04

Tired Zambian,

I can see you're one Zambian who is very, very tired of the way things are running in the country. Hang in there. Don't go kill yourself. Elections are next year, maybe things will improve. I doubt though.

Anyways, if you think those zebra crossings are bad, how about the one on Cairo Rd just before you turn right on to Church Road flyover. When the right arrow is green for motorists, walking traffic continue, well, walking, just because they see fat white lines on the road. And because most of the time, they are in groups, it's hard to scare them off (strength in numbers), but when only 1 or 2, you can actually speed a bit to make them think twice about crossing. When you point out the green arrow while swearing, they look at it, and swear back & walk even slower!

The other one is by Findeco House just when you're approaching the Kafue rondabout. Here, it's even worse. And LCC/RTSA decide to put those "Walk/Don't Walk" lights for pedestrians only in the middle of Cairo Road, when these should be everywhere.
Plofessor

Postby Tired Zambian » 30th September 2010, 12:19

Yes Got It, how come we see all the problems in our city and country but 'THEY' can't? it is indeed a mystery.
Yes Ploffessor, I am very very tired but I will hang on to see what the next (or this if re-elected) govt does. Indeed, that zebra crossing at both roundabouts on Cairo road are hazards. imagine, you are coming down the flyover (either Great east or Independence) on the slip lane and you have to screech to a halt at that pedestrian crossing, watch out for traffic in front and behind you (sometimes even the right side as drivers cannot see the lane markings).
as for the pedestrians, you are right Ploffessor, they actually slow down when the vehicle is bearing down on them!!! yes, it is their right of way BUT only if there is no vehicle when they set foot on the crossing. and they should know they are crossing a road, hence please walk faster and not as if you are on the pavement! the other day, i was waiting at the same lane as you talk about about (near the optician) and a lady was trying to go straight but could not cross the pedestrian traffic while the light was green for her to continue. the poor lady got people blaring horns at her, the walking traffic were swearing at her for trying to cross them as they walked by. shame,it was not her fault.
those walk/dont walk lights: these are not even lit up for the pedestrians, when they do work the walking traffic doesnt even see the red dont walk signs. Yes, i agree these lights should be put everywhere but with a minimal period of Walk time or drivers will go crazy!
Tired Zambian

Postby Feminine » 26th October 2010, 16:02

Please I drive on cairo road to and from work everyday and these pedestrian crossings at the wrong spots drive me crazie!!! Often than not I've had to apologise to pedestrians because they've given me the eye or sweared! I feel I should have stopped to let them cross but then the traffic lights are green and I needn't derail the flow of traffic, that don't make no sense! Seriously did LCC and RTSA think this through before drawing the lines on those spots? One wonders... REALLY wonders...
Feminine

Postby Tired Zambian » 26th October 2010, 16:13

Thank you Feminine for helping me make a point...it is true, the other un-thought of road disaster is when you have a hump (or sleeping policeman or yump whatever it is called) just after you make a turn!
some of these humps are so big, i wonder how vehicles like a corolla can even get over them!
as for the markings (ESPECIALLY on the roundabout), it is so dangerous when you are looking in your mirror to get off the r.about and you have to worry about a pedestrian who is crossing at that crossing in front of Toyota Zambia!!!
Tired Zambian

Return to Roads & Traffic (Road quality, traffics lights, etc.)