Roundabout Rules

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Re: Roundabout Rules

Postby Chuchu » 27th October 2010, 23:52

Msana mate,

according to my last psych evaluation, I am a nutcase :P

but aside from that, I speak the whole truth and nothing but the truth when I tell you this story was told to me by one missionary muzungu. Catholic. if it weren't for the Admin's threat the other day, against posting people's names, I'll da given you his name. Last I heard, he was based somewhere in the eastern province boondocks.

when I left Zambia, I didn't drive, let alone afford buying a car. Maybe I would have had to sell both my kidneys and throw in my left eyeball, in order to afford a car :D So I have no idea how driver's license business goes in Zambia. and that's why I asked, if that muzungu's tale was plausible.
Chuchu

Postby Girl » 28th October 2010, 09:24

Halt! Pepe and Msana! I'll be back! Let me just attend one ka meeting... I see you were busy last night!

Pepe, caught dat one? ;)
Girl

Postby Tired Zambian » 28th October 2010, 09:54

im sorry Msana, but there are people who got their license the proper way...I learnt the highway code properly before i got on the road. but unfortunately, you are right, A LOT of people have got their licenses 'back door' and those who go to 'driving schools' (I use that term loosely...explain in a bit) are even worse off because the instructors themselves dont know the rules of the road!!!
'Driving schools' are a farce...they claim they can teach you how to drive and get you a license in two weeks. first of all, i'd think the FIRST thing you teach a learner is safety...seatbelt, mirrors (and use of them), what to do if the vehicle breaks down (consider the safety of yourself and other road users) etc, this includes the theory of the road as well. then, teach them how to stop and start a car in a place that will not inconvenience other road users. they should be able to confidently get a car moving and stop it BEFORE they even get onto the main road. then the next step is to take them on a main road BUT one that is not as busy as Cairo or Freedomway...you'll scare the bejesus out of them. once they are confident, that is when you ease them into major traffic.
but here, i see someone who can barely get the car over 20km/h WITH 3 people in the back seat! a learner imagine! isnt that against the law (the learner doesnt have a license and yet he/she is carting passengers around!)
and BTW, if the traffic lights are not working, please people...make it a four-way stop (i.e.a) give way to the driver on your right. b) the person first at the junction has right of way and c) if the person opposite is going straight or making a left turn, you are able to make a left-turn too IF the way is clear.
and yes you are right about those round about rules....shall we hammer it into those minibus drivers heads :)
Tired Zambian

Postby msana wanzili » 28th October 2010, 11:55

chuchu
Please dont crack my ribs chuchu hahaha. So how did you manage to get out of country? Thank God you dont drive mate, the pills you take are too strong. One request dear, please stick to one name.
Tired Zambian
To be honest whoever uses Zambian roads does so at owners risk, probably thats why RB travels only by air these days.
msana wanzili

Postby Tired Zambian » 28th October 2010, 15:20

hahahahahahaha....you are right msana
Tired Zambian

Previous Page

Return to Roads & Traffic (Road quality, traffics lights, etc.)