Roundabout Rules

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Roundabout Rules

Postby Tired Zambian » 26th October 2010, 16:19

Dear Zambia,

Does anyone know how to use a roundabout (or traffic circle) in Lusaka?!!!!! i constantly see minibuses changing lanes whilst on the roundabout...and as if this was not enough, they use the wrong lane to join the circle and then cut you off when you want to exit the circle! c'mon...simple rule, if you want to use the 1st or 2nd exit, use the outermost or left lane. if you want to exit at the 2nd, 3rd or 4th...you use the innermost lane. when exiting, indicate after the last exit and CROSS the roundabout into the exit lane...SIMPLE!!!
i tell you, if i could get a school to coach these minibuses (if it was made law), i would be rich by now because they dont know any of the road rules!
Tired Zambian

Re: Roundabout Rules

Postby Martin » 26th October 2010, 17:09

They do know the rules. But they break them because they don't care. And there is no one to enforce rules so they will continue not caring.
Martin

Postby msana wanzili » 26th October 2010, 20:38

The solution would clearly marking the lanes from entrancies through to exists with a lot of white paint.
msana wanzili

Postby Chuchu » 26th October 2010, 20:51

Wanzili mufana, your genius is outstanding. lots of white paint. Brilliant! :mrgreen:

For the record, let me raise my hand as one who doesn't know these roundabout rules. am sure it's a good thing for drivers on the road that I don't own a car
Chuchu

Postby Guest » 27th October 2010, 08:36

Chuchu wrote :
> Wanzili mufana, your genius is outstanding. lots of white paint. Brilliant!
> :mrgreen:
>
> For the record, let me raise my hand as one who doesn't know these
> roundabout rules. am sure it's a good thing for drivers on the road that I
> don't own a car

...you mean it's a good thing for Zed drivers that you don't live pa home ground! Hehe! Catch! :lol:

Postby Bella » 27th October 2010, 10:03

So true!!!! it is not just the bus drivers even tu bantu che!!! it is annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we need roundabout 101 refresher for these people (if they even attanded driving school!!!)
Bella

Postby Ah! » 27th October 2010, 10:25

Iwe Bella,
Ise tu bantu eeh!!! We went to the driving school, idiot! Just organize the 101 refresher, we could use mwe!!! We tend to lapse!!! :geek:
Ah!

Postby Guest » 27th October 2010, 10:27

Im glad someone has finally brought this issue up becoz it really irks me. With all due respect to our menfolk (who I absolutely love and respect), I have observed that the biggest culprit are men. Someone told me that it is becoz most men dont go for driving school and thus they never learn some of the basic rules of driving. True dat??

Postby Tired Zambian » 27th October 2010, 10:42

Masana, will white paint help? i dont think LCC even has white paint let alone the bitumen 'weather wearing' paint that they are supposed to use on the roads.
one thing that makes me shake my head is Independence ave...have you noticed it is usually painted around May (freedom day) and october (independence day) but just down the road Ben Bella road is completely unmarked!!!!
maybe its because the president and digintaries are the only ones who need markings and the rest of us can just use our judgement...we are not that important anyway! i wonder if there is an alternative road to state house...you'll see that that will be properly marked and painted but other roads suffer....
Tired Zambian

Postby dot com » 27th October 2010, 13:40

Tell you the truth i also dont know the rules i get confused, you would find that even the one in front of you confuses you even further.
dot com

Postby Girl » 27th October 2010, 13:54

Ba TZ I like this one that you started here, forget Mint Cafe and Lounge... Let us concentrate on safety for a while. Truth? I went to a driving school but I've had conflicting advice, shoot! I get confused at the roundabout. E.g Kabulonga roundabout coming from Lusaka Golf club to go round to join the single lane into Belvedere lodge road (past road going to kabulonga) can I use either lane?

You can send the bill to admins
Girl

Postby Chuchu » 27th October 2010, 17:00

Guest iwe! don't tell anybody, ok? :mrgreen:

why don't you bring me up to speed with these roundabout rules? I want to know so when I come back home, I will not drive into one and cause pandemonium :?
Chuchu

Postby msana wanzili » 27th October 2010, 19:57

Those you got their Zambian driving licences genuinely please raise your hands, i can see none of you. If anyone would name even one Zambian Driving school thats even 20% upto the required standards, i'll eat my hair. I can boast that i worked very hard for my drivers licence, i had to pass both theory and the dreaded practical tests after a lot of stress. There are no complicated roundabouts in Zambia, as far as i know none has more than 4 entrancies/exits so for those of you who bought their licences if:
1. the entrance has three lanes
- if you taking first exit, get into the outer lane
- if you taking second exit, use the middle lane
- it you taking the third exit or 4th(u-turn)' go in the inner getting into the outer lane as you pass the 2nd exit and exit at the 3rd, if you making u-turn get into the outer lane as you pass the 3rd.
2.the entrance has two lanes
-1st and 2nd exits, get into the outer lane
-3rd and 4th exits, the inner lane.
As you approach the round about as long as its not a drunk coming from the left just mind the one coming from the right.
After this lecture what could possibly go wrong, now go practice and approach the round about with confidence.
msana wanzili

Postby Chuchu » 27th October 2010, 20:07

Oh dear lord! Msana, why do you have to make it sooo complicated? :shock:

maybe my way out of this conundrumis to hire a chauffeur. But at my cheap going rate, maybe the only chauffeurs I can afford will be just as clueless as I am in roundabout rules
Chuchu

Postby Chuchu » 27th October 2010, 20:22

You right mate, instead of putting your family, yourself and other road users at risk just hire a chauffer, problem solved.
Chuchu

Postby msana wanzili » 27th October 2010, 20:24

Chuchu
is that too complicated for you?
msana wanzili

Postby msana wanzili » 27th October 2010, 20:25

chuchu
Sorry mate, i meant to address you and not impersonate.
msana wanzili

Postby Chuchu » 27th October 2010, 20:28

hey hey ba Msana, did you just steal my nice name?? :P

I hear you, my brother. I will seriously consider that chauffeur. The last thing I want is to be caught in the middle of these roundabouts and start going in circles endlessly
Chuchu

Postby Chuchu » 27th October 2010, 21:26

One muzungu missionary once told me that he was made to take the driving test in Zambia 16 times before he barley passed on his 17th try. Do you guys think there is any truth to this story or maybe the muzungu missionary had too much wine and decided to tell me a tall tale?

And as you can imagine, the muzungu cried :cry: foul saying he was treated unfairly because he is white and they probably wanted to milk extra cash out of him because he had to pay a new fee every time he took the driving test.

To be honest, when he was telling me that, I sincerely felt sorry for the poor bugger.
Chuchu

Postby msana wanzili » 27th October 2010, 23:01

Chuchu
You losing it mate, you know as much as i do that you're lying. 17 times???? what are you on?
msana wanzili

Next Page

Return to Roads & Traffic (Road quality, traffics lights, etc.)