Infuriating incompetent drivers on Zambian roads

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Infuriating incompetent drivers on Zambian roads

Postby Swaka » 30th October 2010, 11:25

Dear Zambia,

I cannot believe how incompetent Zambian drivers are. They change lanes without indicating, cut into your lane or join the road at a T-junction even when they can see you coming. They stop in the middle of the road to pick up / drop off people and cause traffic pileups. They drive through red lights without a second thought. Sometimes I barely make it just when the lights are turning red from amber, only to see three to four cars behind me drive though and block people on the green side.

Zambian drivers do not understand the rule of 4 way stops and roundabouts. I routinely see people driving through a roundabout from six O'clock to three O'clock in the outermost lane instead of using the inner lane. They even cross over the line from the slip lane. Minibus drivers are the worst. They dont follow any rules at all.

The most annoying thing is people driving in the inner fast lane at 40km/h and blocking people behind. Trucks do this a lot and its upsetting when the guy on the left is also slow or I have to go to the outer lane and weave through left and right.

Then there is the lack of courtesy. You can indicate that you are changing lanes and everyone behind you will just keep cruising past you for a long distance. When you are backing out from a parking slot people will keep driving past in the road instead of stopping and letting you go.

Even women have now become as incompetent as their male counterparts. What is wrong with this country kanshi?
Swaka

Re: Infuriating incompetent drivers on Zambian roads

Postby Mr.CC » 30th October 2010, 14:46

Don't be depressed, Swaka. Nothing wrong with the people as such. This is just what you get when there is a weak system of enforcing laws. In developed countries, for example, there is usually a camera that "sees" who violates red lights. The charge then comes in your mail.Traffic cops are also everywhere. But you need lots of money as a country just to do that.

This inability or failure to enforce laws results in general anarchical attitudes that even evolve into death of etiquette. It's the law of the jungle at work.

Things will only change when the economy is drastically improved - in about 300 years!
Mr.CC

Postby Guest » 1st November 2010, 11:12

Well, women are the most civilised drivers, but well, women have failed to beat incompetent male drivers. As they say... If you can't beat them...

Postby A4 » 1st November 2010, 15:49

i am always on the Lusaka Kapiri Ndola road just about every fortnight. driving on this stretch is fun but i have observed something about the fast drivers especially those in German cars, SUVs and turbo-charged pick-ups: most of them tend to have their parking and/or fog lights constantly on during the broad day light. Is this meant to be some sort of warning sign, a statement saying " i'm fast, please get out of the way" ? I have also picked up on this habit because my V6 can also go.
A4

Postby Fem » 1st November 2010, 16:02

:lol: :lol: :lol: A4! You've sent me cracking... So, for you it's been "OK ba stupid, so you think I can't do this? Let's see who..." Ehehe!!! I also wonder about those lights on some cars on that highway. Like you, I do the highway fornightly but to Copperbelt. Only my Japanese car doesn't have them fog lights, and I don't do that kinda speed, kind of 'unlady-like'! Plus my car is red so you wont miss that reflection!

Now, Tired Zambian, tell us more about those lights.
Fem

Postby Tired Zambian » 2nd November 2010, 11:46

Dear Swaka,
please see my posts concerning the same...we are on the same wavelength, we find a lot of infuriating and incompetant drivers (and, as you say...most of them are minibus drivers).
i would urge the RTSA police to take a drive down Lumumba road, at any time of the day and you will find minibuses who don't want to go into the bus station, loading and offloading passengers ON lumumba road. if they can get away with it, why can't we do the same? because i say, do not behave like a minibus driver, you are more civilised than that!!!
Yes Mr CC, we do need money...but more than that, why do the traffic cops on their flashy bikes and even flashier cars do something about it? let me give you an example:
the other day, i was in Kamwala and i wanted to cross the lights at the Burma/Independence lights. So, me being the patient and 'stupid' person, i waited in the queue that stretched from the mosque to a bit further down the road. these other impatient drivers overtook me trying to get to the top of the queue...where there were some traffic cops (YAAAAY, for me being patient and stupid!!!)., who promptly pulled these impatient drivers to the curb by the mosque.
they carried this exercise for a few days and then guess what? a) traffic flowed smoothly and b)people were no longer recklessly overtaking.
of course this being zambia, im sure a couple of weeks down the line, those impatient drivers will return but that is the point: let RTSA make random stops to arrest people like this!
Tired Zambian

Postby Fem » 2nd November 2010, 13:00

Tired Z I'm still waiting for you to enlighten me on those highway fog lights on some cars. They are constantly on, what's with that? :|
Fem

Postby Mr. CC » 2nd November 2010, 13:23

Tired Zam, you're right. When there are few resources our traffic cops can still be a little more creative. We could still go a long way with our little money, if we had a bit more imagination.

Thanks.
Mr. CC

Postby Tired Zambian » 2nd November 2010, 14:34

Fem, i do not know why they switch on fog lights, maybe they were trying to switch on indicators and did not know which switch is for what? or maybe they saw someone and thought 'oh wow, when do we ever get to use fog lights in Zambia...since there never is any fog, let us misuse them'.
btw, how did you know i was going to comment???
Tired Zambian

Postby Guest » 2nd November 2010, 14:47

Hey TZ, was trying my luck; thought you'd be in the know...especially with your knowledge of road use. Thanks though.

But hey, it's not one car but many of the big fast cars on the highway doing long distance. Ofcourse on-coming motorists and other road users will spot their lights from a distance; maybe speed is the justification.One day I'll flag down one and satisfy my curiosity.

Ciao! ;)

Postby Tired Zambian » 2nd November 2010, 15:45

hahaha, ok Fem, i will also keep my eyes and ears open...watch this space!
Tired Zambian

Postby Paulos » 2nd November 2010, 15:59

I know people do not follow traffic rules in Zambia though I wonder if it is mainly about law enforcement. I mean can't people at least follow one of the most basic rules of keeping to the left most lane at all times unless overtaking? Must we have police all around to force people to do this? And even if they do, people still bribe police officers and do the same thing the following day. Maybe the answer is to pay police a lot of money taken from other useless expenditures like trips and workshops.
Paulos

Postby Tired Zambian » 2nd November 2010, 16:16

Yes Paulos, i agree...it is so frustrating to have a slow vehicle in the right lane, then you have to undertake which is dangerous. and sometimes, BOTH lanes are taken up by slow drivers who apparently do not look in their view mirrors!!!
the problem here is at the root...the 'driving schools', they teach all the bad stuff and do not adhere to the rules and laws of the road. do any of these schools even have a certificate to show that RTSA have approved of the way they teach? some of these instructors take passengers so that they can 'instruct' the learner to drop them off somewhere. this is extremely dangerous, the passengers may distract the learner and they might even get the idea it is okay to drive and stop anyhow.
and yes, take the money from the useless trips and expenditure and put it to good use like marking the lanes properly, fixing the traffic lights when not working and covering the drains before the rains...will that ever happen?
Tired Zambian

Postby Zen master » 2nd November 2010, 20:27

I hope we all can agree that there is a difference between a slow driver and an incompetent one. Most of us drivers may be very good at the wheel. But we also do not pay much attention to speed limits or take into consideration other hazardous conditions like rain or residential areas with children playing or street construction areas, etc.

There is a secret to avoiding too much frustration on the road. It's time. If you have a 20-min drive to work, give yourself 40mins. You are less likely to lose your spleen over a slow driver ahead of you. Be your own Zen master 8-)
Zen master

Postby A4 » 3rd November 2010, 09:52

these cars now have zenon or LED lamps.even the new post buses. love those lights.when i see them in my rear view mirror i turn on my left indicator
A4

Postby A4 » 3rd November 2010, 16:51

meaning they should over take me! they are fast kaili
A4

Postby Kambwili » 3rd November 2010, 18:16

A4, i think I recognize the car you drive. It sounds very much like mine. is yours a 1972 Datsun hatchback too? :D
Kambwili

Postby Miles Finch » 3rd November 2010, 21:25

I doubt that. Looking at his name, i would say he drives an Audi A4, nice car!
Miles Finch

Next Page

Return to Roads & Traffic (Road quality, traffics lights, etc.)