Zambian Music: Teti Njende Nobe

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Zambian Music: Teti Njende Nobe

Postby MRC » 9th August 2010, 10:02

Dear Zambia,

Zambian music has really improved over the last couple of years. The song I am enjoying most now is "Teti Njende Nobe." It's a song about a man who helped a lady from a very poor family (in his poor neighborhood) to get educated, through his little money, because he really liked her. But when she finally graduated and he asked her to marry him, she turned him down ("teti njende nobe" - I can't even date you.)

I guess the guy forgot that when he was paying for her education, she was becoming more advanced than him since he had remained in the same village or compound. She couldn't handle the idea of marrying him!

There are a lot of things to complain about in Zambia, but Zambian music is really great!!!
MRC

Re: Zambian Music: Teti Njende Nobe

Postby Tx » 9th August 2010, 17:02

Where can I buy songs like this one on the internet? Surely there must be a website.
Tx

Postby Tyola » 9th August 2010, 23:39

Yeah right,, that's a hell of a tale, boss. I fail to see how the story of this pathetic loser who got swindled by a young greedy gold digger makes for great Music. But I'll take your word for it.
Tyola

Postby Kombwe » 10th August 2010, 01:51

Mr. C

First off, I think we will both agree that Music, like food or art, is very subjective. What is good music to one man, could be confused noise to another. But that's the nature of it. At my place of work, they like to blast this awful noise they call ati classical music. Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, and all these other awful noise makers. I tell them that one of these days this music is going to drive me loko. Why can't they play some really sweet sounds like Bob Marley? Music that makes sense huh? Not that classical of theirs, it's just this annoying, twisted whistles and pintos and vingelengeles and oh god! It boggles the mind.

Anyway, where your taste in music and mine seem to differ entirely is when you say, "Zambian music has really improved over the last couple of years..." Are you joking? Did you ever hear the sound and power of abena Mike Nyoni? Amayenge? How about Keith Mlevu? Masiye Band? These were real real musicians, my friend. I mean for real music, not this child's play of today. In those days with the crisp clear sound of them vinyl records, it was the time of big sound and lyrics that touched you at the very core of your being.

When a good song started playing on the radio in the old days, some of us young chaps knew to get out of the living room because so much as an accidental sneeze while the song is playing, would earn you a belt beating. No joke. This was the power of music in those days. It transported big men like my father into a trans of another dimension. I bet you can't even name one song of today that can achieve such a feat.

No, my friend. I must respectfully disagree with you. The days of real quality music are behind us. Today we are lucky to get a semi decent song in 5 years. The music industry of today seems like a production conveyer belt of one piece of rubbish after another. That is only my opinion, of course.
Kombwe

Postby watcher » 10th August 2010, 11:22

Kombwe, I think we can safely say that you have reached that age they refer to as OLD. The age where only the music of the past sounded good and everything new is trash. Can you remember your parents saying the same thing when they became old? That's you now, my friend.
watcher

Postby Bamwine » 10th August 2010, 13:29

Iwe C. you were only whacked because there was no way of rewinding the music playing on Radio. There were very few people with record players let alone cassette players.

now music is being shared on flash drives its illegal but will not pretend that it is rife. if you want a one-day listen you can listen to samples: just search on google or check out lastfm dot com.
Bamwine

Postby Kombwe » 10th August 2010, 17:18

Bamwine
you is right, man. I'm almost sure that's precisely why we be whacked. No rewind, and my mudala was furious that we had robed him of one trip down memory lane or what ever emotional storm the songs had cooked up.

watcher,
You are right. I am old. Sometimes I look in the mirror and I vaguely remember a time when I had one chin. I don't know where these four chins came from. awe mwandi! But trust me on the music. At this place in Lusaka,, what's the name? DB Joint? dB studios? It's a riot over there? At Teal records in Ndola they are squeezing out one headache after another. I don't know what the hell is going on at ZNBC. the music they play is just painful. Yes the good old days are gone. Enjoy, young man, while you can. A day will come when you too will fantasize that when you were young the world was a nicer place, prices were lower and music was music.
Kombwe

Postby TINDINGOMA » 10th August 2010, 17:57

Kombwe

It's good you know that you are in the evening of this sweet life. It's good you have warned these young fellas that even when they call you mudala they will also be 'mudalalised' sooner or later...

The ZED music we hear today is good if not excellent! the test is when you ask an artist to sing his own song live. Believe you me he or she will fail. This is the stark reality and hence maybe Kombwe's viewpoint. Back in the days Paul Ngozi or even PK Chishala could play their music anywhere, today I challenge any band apart from Amayenge Asoza to play a live gig and bring in kids to 'spot the song' it will be an impossible feat.

Bravo to yesterdays music the pace was set and I challenge the synthesizer/computer era performers to pull up their socks and deliver quality music both on CD and live performances.
TINDINGOMA

Postby MRC » 11th August 2010, 07:09

Dear Kombwe.

When I said the music has improved, that's in relative terms. Whereas the Zambian music of the past was great, that era ended and there was practically no music in Zambia. When some people tried to restart the music industry their songs were terrible. But over the past year or two they have made tremendous progress in this direction. I dare not blaspheme against the old golden era of creative Zambian music by suggesting that these new lads have improved on that era. So I'm with you, my brother.
MRC

Postby Ulelekedwe » 11th August 2010, 16:49

Ba Kombwe,

You are right, music has gone downhill.

It only sounds better today because of much lets call it "computerisation". Out of the 10 times I hear a Zambian music song on radio nowadays, 9 of those will have computer effects on the singer's voice. And the so-called live performances are voice-over renditions of the original song, not the sound trax alone mind you - with the main vocals still on the track. Personally I consider this a sham, and in the west it is not taken to kindly, just google miming by pro singers.

I agree todays music is quite rythmic but it lacks originality - 99% of the music in the west can be played live with real instruments - just watch the talk shows on series channel and you will agree with me. Mais helas, we cannot say the same for our music.

i rest my case (maybe am also ageing ha ha! but aren't we all?)
Ulelekedwe

Postby Critic » 25th October 2010, 11:18

"Computerization" is common even in America nowadays.

I have to hand it to the Zambian lads doing the music. Their tunes are quite addictive. You can't get them out of your head once you hear them. That's usually a sign of a powerful creative tune. Going to any night club where they are playing these songs loud is just paradise really.
Critic

Postby skeptic » 26th October 2010, 10:04

I was once on a mini bus and the bus conductor kept on singing some song, the song was more clear when it came to a part saying "hardcore mu chinyanja". out of interest I asked the conductor what hardcore mu chinyanja meant - hid not know. I put it to him that it meant "manyozo mu chinyanja". This caused some moment of silence in the bus and could feel the impact the translation made. The conductor did not continue singing.

I am a fan of Zairean music - the rhythm. I do not care what they say, but this is not to say Zairean music has evolved as much as ours. The problem with our new age music are quite many.

1. manyozo - if you know chinyanja very well you will agree with me and I have vowed not to waste my money on manyozo so how these fellows will make their money I do not know. If I may ask what is the essence of any industry/economic venture? Will i become a singer/musician so that I end up failing to look after myself. I have met many so called musicians at shops, the only items they can afford to buy are cigarettes, while they expect to be noticed.

Just a bit on the chinyanja music. Most of them are sang as idioms, this implies that you can not get the true meaning. Almost all the sentences in the songs are not completed. Look at "tiye tikamwe" and "tiye tikamwe manzi", do the two mean the same? May be most of the people who like the same music do not at all have a clew just like me to the Zairean music that i like religiously.

2. Attitudes - they think they are stars by trying to out manyozo one another and by being rather crude/untidy. It appears to me their back grounds are bad and are try to show us that. Let them reform and live positevely by making reasonable contribution to the nation through good character and non manyozo music. Musicians can gain icon status if they want.

3. Rhythms/tunes are just to strange or non indigenous. For you to tell that this is Zambian music you first have to hear the language. I have failed to identify myself with the new Zambian music. What will make me buy it? Computerization can not be to blame. We could learn the art of synthesizing our tune/instruments or pay experts to do it for us. Americans do it for themselves and if us Zambians will use their systems we shall just sound American. We end up giving wrong impressions like being rich/advanced/exposed. We need to do things to our natural abilities.

To every situation I say I will not put my money if I an not satisfied with it. I encourage all Zambians - when you have money in your pockets it is yours, do not waste it, put it to good use!! I try to lead a modest life.
skeptic

Postby skeptic » 26th October 2010, 13:32

Manyozo/kutukwana is insults/abusive language in english.
skeptic

Postby Muntublest » 26th October 2010, 17:41

Zambian music is coming out thick and fast nowadays. Only problem is it doesnt last - like real music. Those years it was ka ja ka gelo kani tengela mutima today it is Lupupa lupupa, tomorrow its another 'hit' song. the underlying beats in every song are the same. That cant be music, unless to undiscerning ears. Bubble gum music, chew on it today, 5 mins later it done. Muchinche (change) ba Z musicians
Muntublest

Postby Pepe » 26th October 2010, 17:56

Muntublest

If you allow me to offer my expert [cough-cough] opinion:)

In the old days, the musicians were poets. They were real song writers who poured their soul into their lyrics. And that is why those good oldies lasted. To this day when I hear a Keith Mlevu or Mike Nyoni, I can't help but drift into another dimension.

But today's young musicians are all about the latest and cleverest digital music mix. It's all about the beat and the high tech dancehall sound. It lacks depth and soul. And that is why it lasts a few weeks and becomes obsolete. Unlike the old classics which stand the test of time.
Pepe

Postby Donkey » 26th October 2010, 20:26

I am a fan of Zairean music, skeptic says.

webo skep, where have you been these past 13 years? DRC they now call it. no longer zaire.

that dictator who called himself Mobutu Sese Seko Nkuku Ngbendu wa Za Banga was forced to flee the country in 1997 because of unrest following the many side effects of the collapse of the Soviet Union. the new thieves who took over the country wanted to erase eveything Mobutu had done including the Zaire name. so they sat around a mango tree and asked one another, how does DRC sound? They all agreed it was a fitting name for a country as pathetic as theirs.

That's what went down these past 13 years ba skeptic baba.
Donkey

Postby Ars » 27th October 2010, 10:16

Ohohoho! I bet Skep suffered amnesia before Zaire became DRCongo; only to regain his memory in 2010; he has yet to get tuned to the new name. Ohohoho!
Ars

Postby Muntublest » 27th October 2010, 11:59

Pepe,

You couldn't put it more accurately.
Muntublest

Postby skeptic one » 24th November 2010, 14:12

Postby learner » 26th October 2010, 12:25
and manyozo means?

Learner I am waiting to hear from you since I answered your query!
skeptic one

Next Page

Return to Entertainment (Concerts, musical events, film festivals, etc.)