Why no direct flights upto now?

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Why no direct flights upto now?

Postby Plofessor » 28th September 2010, 06:24

Dear Zambia,

Can someone please explain why in the year 2010, we Zambians still do not have direct flights taking us to the far & middle east? Every time, we either have to fly via SA (most expensive) or the useless, dodgy hubs of Addis Ababa or Nairobi. If you have to get on these planes, esp the East African ones, you'll notice how many Zambians are travelling to China, Thailand & of course Dubai. I'm sure other places too.

Not only would it work out cheaper for passengers, it would even make imported goods cheaper as well. Kenya Airways & Ethiopian Airlines have it in their interest to prevent the introduction of direct flights, but Zambezi Airlines? It would surely benefit them, and they're Zambian, so what's the hold up?
Plofessor

Re: Why no direct flights upto now?

Postby Voter » 28th September 2010, 06:49

As long as MMd is in power, no such development can come to Zambia.

That is not gospel. It's an opinion of a man who enthusiastically voted in MMd with kafupi, only to be terribly disappointed.

You reap what you sow. So they say the bible says. I don't know,, maybe I should read this bible thing. How can a man as corrupt as kafupi be voted into office twice by we the Zambian people? And ironically, the kafupi years were the freest years Zambia has ever experienced. Today we are sliding into the abyss of dictatorship.
Voter

Postby Civil Servant » 28th September 2010, 08:54

Dear Plofessor,

Zambezi airlines hasnt reached the right economies of scale to embark on these direct flights beyond africa. the quickest way this would have happened was if Govt had a national airline as is the case with other countries but the economics of our time again do not allow Govt to under such an initiative.

...n i stand to be corrected but i think Zambia still falls on the list of countries whose planes are baned from flying on european airspace
Civil Servant

Postby koppala » 20th January 2011, 13:17

what is not known is that direct flights out of southern africa (SADC) will not be coming our way for a very long time. this is because zambia has a very poor safety record with IATA. zambian planes for example are banned in the european union. this does not mean that our planes crash on a regular, it is in relation to maintenance of aircrafts. they (EU and other countrys) dont want our crafts to crash in their territory then zambians should start making noise for them (eg 1993 gabon).
koppala

Return to Transport (Buses, coaches, railways, airlines, logistics, etc.)