Zambian companies and email

» Topic locked   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Zambian companies and email

Postby Masauso Banda » 16th May 2011, 13:16

Dear Zambia,

Zambian companies rarely respond to emails. They can have a website with email address but try sending them an email enquiry and you get no answer, or if they do reply, they take like 3 days to a week. They don't even acknowledge receipt of emails leaving you guessing if they got them. Why is this so, considering that most of the employees use email, facebook and check news online? And why do they insist you go to their office when they can give you all the info you need by email? You end up calling them so many times just to get a reply which defeats the whole point of using email.
Masauso Banda

Re: Zambian companies and email

Postby Frustrated » 16th May 2011, 14:23

Masau,
I'll tell you something; we Zambians love red tape, bureaucracy and pomposity so much that we feel we can do whatever we want whenever we want. We do not understand the concept of customer service. I keep saying these same people that ignore e-mails and what-not would not be in business if it wasn't for people like you and I. In a nutshell, they are a bunch of bumbling egoistical idiots who have no clue what they are supposed to be doing.

)Phew!!! That's felt good, getting that off my chest.)
Frustrated

Postby Munthu » 16th May 2011, 18:47

Frustrated wrote :
> Masau,
> I'll tell you something; we Zambians love red tape, bureaucracy and
> pomposity so much that we feel we can do whatever we want whenever we want.
> We do not understand the concept of customer service. I keep saying these
> same people that ignore e-mails and what-not would not be in business if it
> wasn't for people like you and I. In a nutshell, they are a bunch of
> bumbling egoistical idiots who have no clue what they are supposed to be
> doing.
>
> )Phew!!! That's felt good, getting that off my chest.)

well well ba Frustrated, that's some indictment on our people!

You remind me of the bad customer service at US postal service. It's like one of the qualifications to become a US postal worker is to be a total idiot. Around Christmas time is the worst. The know they have got you by the bolls. They know that you need them more than they need you. And they make sure they make you sweat.
Munthu

Postby The Dancing Tyrant » 17th May 2011, 08:06

Frustrated - I agree with you on this one. I wonder what exactly it is that Mubita C. Nawa teaches these numbskulls in his so-called workshops. It's a common trait from employees to think they call the shots but when are first to dodge the bullet of responsibility. My thinking is we're lacking professionalism ... but then, no surprises there if people are employed based on their tribe, boobs and looks.
The Dancing Tyrant

Postby Slumdog Shalapungu » 17th May 2011, 10:35

Send a forwarded email and attach some dry jokes to it and you will get a response, it seems thats what the majority of people in Zambia use emails for.
Slumdog Shalapungu

Postby kay » 17th May 2011, 11:43

Dear Masau,

I totally feel your frustrations and honestly speaking, I am hoping our Zambian companies and their employees would one day change their mind set towards communication? we spend too much time studying communication skills at school and college but yet only a few employees apply those skills.

Recently, I sent an email to ZABS enquiring about the newly introduced PVoC and it took them 5 working days to respond to my email and instead of giving me right info they decided to invite me for a meeting at their office. To add salt to an injury, the person I was suppose to have a meeting with was away when we actually had an appointment. I blasted at every one for wasting my time and not being effective, but guess what? some bastard answered at "Twalibelesha ukutu shout."

come on ladies and gentlemen, we need to change this idiotic culture of avoiding emails, apparently it is a very effective way of communication and less tedious!

Hope one day we will see change.
kay

Postby Frustrated » 17th May 2011, 13:45

Dear all,

The complacent attitude that seems to be ingrained in our culture is revolting. And, as someone said earlier, the egoistical companies know that they have us by our balls (for those that have them), so to speak. I remember going into an office to ask why no-one had taken their time to respond to an e-mail enquiry from myself a few weeks earlier. The attitude!! It stank to high heaven! Anyhoo, I let the very pretty girl that was manning the reception desk know exactly what I thought of the company she worked for. And I also let her know that it takes more than just bleached skin (za-yellow), fake nails and fake hair to do a job properly. It actually takes a few active brain cells. In her case I reckon 2 brain cells would have sufficed, as any more than that would have given her an aneurysm. Boss came of out of his office to find out what the commotion was all about and I gave him what-for as well. Bloody idiots.

Anyhoo, I feel like a grumpy old person but something's gotta give. What is the point of having technology if you're not gonna use it? If you can't use it then get your asses back to the IT classroom!
Frustrated

Postby dale » 17th May 2011, 19:43

Munthu wrote:
> You remind me of the bad customer service at US postal service. It's like one of the qualifications to become a US postal worker is to be a > total idiot. Around Christmas time is the worst. The know they have got you by the bolls. They know that you need them more than they > need you. And they make sure they make you sweat.

You are exactly right about customer service at government agencies in the US. You could say the same thing about the Department of Motor Vehicles!

But, they are not good examples of the complaint about customer service. They are government agencies with NO competition by law. The law protects them. So customer service at the US Post Office? That's a joke, right?

Frustrated wrote:
>Anyhoo, I let the very pretty girl that was manning the reception desk know exactly what I thought of the company she worked for. >And I also let her know that it takes more than just bleached skin (za-yellow), fake nails and fake hair to do a job properly. It actually >takes a few active brain cells. In her case I reckon 2 brain cells would have sufficed, as any more than that would have given her an >aneurysm. Boss came of out of his office to find out what the commotion was all about and I gave him what-for as well. Bloody idiots.

In my opinion, it rarely helps to give the girl at the reception desk a lot of complaints. Even if they do agree with you (and they might!) they are not in charge enough to change what is happening. It is the management or owners that MUST get involved to change this situation. Personally, I have had a job where I got customer complaints. It was so frustrating because I agreed with the customer, but there was nothing I could do. And the management was not listening. I quit that job!!! So, now I always ask for the manager, rather than take it out on the hired help who have no authority...

Could someone translate "Twalibelesha ukutu shout." for me?

thanks for the conversation,
dale
dale

Postby Kanswa » 17th May 2011, 20:09

It was actually supposed to be "Twalibelesha ukutu shoutwa" which means "We are used to being shouted at". It is in the Bemba language.
Kanswa

Postby Mabvuto » 17th May 2011, 20:15

Kanswa, are you sure?? i thought Twalibelesha is just some dude who likes to shout.
Mabvuto

Postby Kanswa » 17th May 2011, 20:29

Yes I am sure Mabvuto. In this context, "twali" means "we are", eg "twali kosa" (we are strong). "Belesha" means "Used to" or "familiar with", eg "twali belesha uku celwa" (we are used to being late). "Ukutu" is "To be", eg "Ukutu pela" (to be given). "Shoutwa" is a Zambianization of "shout".
Kanswa

Postby Kanswa » 17th May 2011, 20:38

Just realised I made a small mistake. I meant "ukutu shouta" and not "ukutu shoutwa".
Kanswa

Postby Mabvuto » 17th May 2011, 21:17

Kanswa,

you sound like you actually know what you are talking about so I will not accuse you of fabricating a translation.

I'm glad I did not offer ba Dale my version of the translation because I would have surely sent the man on a completely bogus road. I was way off. I really thought "Twalibelesha" was a dude's name and he shouts. And I thought ukutu was just some kind of interjection expressing the gnashing of teeth or something. Like when a man is munching on dry roasted maize we say "akukuta chiwaya".

Thanks Kwnswa. I'll bag this one in my Bemba vocabulary cache.
Mabvuto

Postby Mabvuto » 17th May 2011, 21:19

sorry, a typo on your name at the end there ba Kanswa. no offense.
Mabvuto

Postby Kanswa » 17th May 2011, 22:01

Language is interesting and dynamic. How did we come up with "shouta" and "shoutwa"? I was pondering this as I thought about the difference between "Ali shouta" (He/she shouted) and "Ali shoutwa" (He/she was shouted at).

Back to the topic, I would suggest a small experiment to you all that I have carried out myself with terrible results. Go to the websites of the local ISPs and see if they have email addresses listed. Take note. Send an email to those that have emails listed asking for their pricing for different internet speeds. Note how long they take to respond. Also take note of bounced emails.
Kanswa

Postby Customer » 17th May 2011, 22:27

Companies that give out their e-mail addresses but then take too long to respond, show two things. Incompetence and laziness.

If you send an e-mail and you get an undelivered message, it probably means the company went out of business. And if they are in business and did not bother to update their change of e-mail address then they just need to be flogged. No trial, just an open market public flogging of the big chief of that company. Honestly.
Customer

Postby Frustrated » 18th May 2011, 15:33

Mabvuto wrote :
> Kanswa,
>
> you sound like you actually know what you are talking about so I will not
> accuse you of fabricating a translation.
>
> I'm glad I did not offer ba Dale my version of the translation because I
> would have surely sent the man on a completely bogus road. I was way off. I
> really thought "Twalibelesha" was a dude's name and he shouts.
> And I thought ukutu was just some kind of interjection expressing the
> gnashing of teeth or something. Like when a man is munching on dry roasted
> maize we say "akukuta chiwaya".
>
> Thanks Kwnswa. I'll bag this one in my Bemba vocabulary cache.

Mabvuto,

You made my day when I read that you actually thought Twalibelesha was a dude's name and 'he shouts'. That was ace.

And thank you, Dale. Point taken about not shooting the messenger. It is just so frustrating sometimes. It makes me wonder what these people (or most of them, at least) think they are meant to be doing when they say they are going to 'work'. Keep the customer happy and everything falls into place, I say. The other problem is that reputation kinda doesn't really matter in Zed. Again, it all comes down to poverty because, see, if a comapny has a bad reputation BUT offers cheap goods and/or services people will still go there as that's all they can afford. I call for a revolution. Who's is with me?!

To all companies that think they can get away with zero good customer service y'all better get your asses in gear. I shall set up some kinda watchdog themed column in a national paper to name and shame y'all. I AM WATCHING YOU!!!
Frustrated

Postby Dale » 18th May 2011, 22:29

Frustrated wrote:
" Again, it all comes down to poverty because, see, if a company has a bad reputation BUT offers cheap goods and/or services people will still go there as that's all they can afford."

Now this topic is much more than just wishful thinking. In my opinion, the companies you are discussing have not really examined where they fit in the mix of price vs. service. They have set up an expectation of service by putting their email address out publicly, but then do not follow thru on the expectation because of the cost of doing so. (I assume).

A company MUST determine the level of customer service vs. price. For example, I had a business that went bankrupt. One of the big reasons was that we tried to be the lowest price AND the best customer service. This is extremely difficult to do and stay in business. You can focus on the price (like Wal-Mart) or focus on service (lots of examples).

Now, my outside view of Zambian businesses is that they have not really examined this trade-off and plan where they want to be. Does it really make sense to advertise an email address and then not respond? They would be better off to NOT offer the service of answering emails. But to tantalize the customer with an implied level of service and then not deliver just builds anger - and correctly so. People should be angry!

This is the continuing business opportunity I see in Zambia. Offer the best customer service you can and charge for it. A certain group of customers will pay for this. Maybe a lot of customers. But the message I hear over and over on this forum is crying out for good customer service. What will it take for more businesses to see this???

thanks for the conversation,
dale
Dale

Postby My Opinion » 19th May 2011, 06:44

Slumdog yaba u funny..
My Opinion

Postby Teacher » 19th May 2011, 08:14

It is actually supposed to be "twalibelela uku shoutwa."
Teacher

Next Page

Return to Miscellaneous (Anything not covered in the other categories)