ZAMBIA OR CONGO - LET'S EXPLORE

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

ZAMBIA OR CONGO - LET'S EXPLORE

Postby ZED BOY » 11th July 2011, 09:21

Dear Zambia,

First up, congratulations to the Zambia Tourism Board for coming up with a new look brand campaign for our country. Bravo!

Now, let's deal with my problem - explain to me if you kindly will, which moron thought it was a brilliant idea to invite a CONGOLESE chap to roll out a ZAMBIAN brand campaign. Methinks some clown is a fan of this Folly Ipupu (pun intended) and has used ZTB money to bring his favourite artiste to Zambia at our expense! Do we not have our own musicians that would have done a far better job than this fellow? The chap came, did his thing and took his hefty pay-check back home with a big grin on his face. We've been punked again and Zambian musicians should feel hard done by this foolishness. How the heck will a French speaking boy "market" Zambia out there? I'm certainly not going around singing about the wonders of Kinshasa Fried Chicken or the awe-inspiring Ituri Rain Forest....

Anyways, ONLY in Zambia.....but Let's Explore........
ZED BOY

Re: ZAMBIA OR CONGO - LET'S EXPLORE

Postby Chachine » 11th July 2011, 09:45

ZED BOY you've got a point. Never thought of it like that. The Post have featured him again in today's edition - 11-7-11. Perhaps they also have something to do with him. Someone like ANgela Nyirenda would have made more sense or maybe they wanted someone 'international'. Our artists hardly evey perform live and are barely if not known across our borders. I know of some well known local artist who I believe has released over TEN albums but I doubt you will find any of his CDs on a shelf in Botswana or Namibia
Chachine

Postby april » 11th July 2011, 13:38

Zed boy our local musicians are not inspiring to say the least...ok that Nyirenda lady she is good but some of these fellas yaba...when you just tune to any station "nikukonda what what oh boy its boring....the mixture of that congolese and Nyirenda YES....
april

Postby ZED BOY » 11th July 2011, 18:05

Most of our artist aren't world class but don't you think that the organisers could have pulled off a winner with the likes of Angela Nyirenda, Sakala Brothers, Marsha Moyo, the new kid on the block Mutinta, the ever-brilliant Sir Jones Kabanga and such like. The point is the are Zambian and will only improve when given opportunities to do so.
ZED BOY

Postby The Beginning » 11th July 2011, 18:16

I thought I was the only one who was irked by that move. Thanks Zedboy for airing it. I wouldn't have put it any better myself.
And to think people actually approved the stupidity (excuse the French). Only in Zambia indeed!
The Beginning

Postby Local is Lekker » 11th July 2011, 22:22

Zed Boy,

Thanks for bringing it up. Was thinking the same. I remember a Proudly Zambian radio show (promoting local products), where the DJ kept going on about how local is 'lekker', obviously blind to the fact that that slogan was used in SA for their campaign. I mean, let's get serious! And now this Fally Ipupa guy, a Congolese promoting Zambia. To stab the knife even deeper into the heart, they are using SAA to sponsor 10 Zambians to go to South America to 'exchange ideas'. What a load of nonsense.
Local is Lekker

Postby Local is Lekker » 11th July 2011, 22:23

You know what, I will actually phone ZNTB tomorrow. I will record the conversation!
Local is Lekker

Return to Miscellaneous (Anything not covered in the other categories)