dual citizenship experience

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

dual citizenship experience

Postby mukolwe » 12th February 2016, 15:56

mwe banandi,

has anyone gone home recently with/on a "foreign" passport, landed and then presented the Zambian passport to immigration, gone on their merry way..... and when it was time to go back, went with the foreign passport and boarded with no hustles?

I asked my relatives but they didn't seem to know how it's working out first hand.

kalebalika mukwai
mukolwe

Re: dual citizenship experience

Postby Mbovu » 12th February 2016, 16:24

munandi mukolwe,
I don't think that's such good idea. Let's say you pull it off and you go back to your adopted country and then the customs official there accuse you of traveling to Syria? The only way to prove you traveled where you claim you traveled is by showing all your appropriate vindindo. Do you really want to admit to those customs officials that you broke the laws of your country of birth? I'd just wait until Zambia makes it official instead of trying to pull a fast one.
Mbovu

Postby Guest » 12th February 2016, 17:11

ba mbovu natotela

...i am not trying to pull a fast one lol

i wanted to find out if anyone has landed in Zambia and presented two passports to immigration (Zambian and the other one) and then left on the other passport.

if i read you correctly, you're saying the dual citizenship it's not official as yet? (signed & passed constitutionally and lawfully but isn't applicable just yet)

i wouldn't encounter any issues when i come back here. all my questions and concerns are to do with zambia

i intend to visit 5 near by countries when i come home and i figure it's less complex using my Zambian passport than my "foreign" . but i also want to make a couple stopovers en route to Zambia, and that's less problematic when i travel that leg on my passport from here.
you see my dilemma?

kalebalika mukwai

Postby Mbovu » 12th February 2016, 19:21

munandi mukolwe,
I see your point. And please if you have the latest news on dual citizenship for us Zambians feel free to share the info. My last information is from an article I read right around Christmas time of last year. The article simply said ba Ediga is considering approving the dual citizenship clause so he can encourage Zambians in Diaspora to make business investments back home.
Mbovu

Postby mukolwe » 12th February 2016, 19:28

ba mbovu, yea the bill/clause has already passed and signed

i am curious to find out if in fact any one (on here) has gone home with dual citizenships and what their experience was like at the airport..... both on arrival and departure

chisuma mukwai kalebalika
mukolwe

Postby Mbovu » 12th February 2016, 19:35

Thank you, munandi mukolwe. That is news to me. Now I have the task of finding my Zambian passport that expired many many harvests ago. I really don't know where it is. So munandi mukolwe, going by what you are telling me, if I wanted to take advantage of this dual citizenship thing, I'll have first to renew my Zambian passport and have to deal with the boys at local Zambian mission all over again. To be honest, I'd rather go to a dentist and have him pull out a perfectly healthy tooth out of my mouth.
Mbovu

Postby mukolwe » 12th February 2016, 20:04

ba mbovu lmao!

it's that bad huh! I've heard many such regrettable tales by Zambian embassies. I've never had to deal with them thankfully...knowing myself it wouldn't go too well.

but yea if you intend to "reap" the full benefits of dual citizenship, you'll need to bring your other citizenship up to date. time to fight with the guys at your mission. good luck with that....or maybe wait till the next time you go home.

kalebalika mukwai we munandi
mukolwe

Return to Embassies (Visas, Embassies/High Commissions to Zambia, etc.)