MADISON INSURANCE

» Topic locked   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

MADISON INSURANCE

Postby bamwine » 21st July 2010, 15:14

Dear Zambia,

Can somebody tell me if this is true: A few years ago, Madison sent a few clerks or into the 'field' to dupe people into signing these forms. Apparently signing them up into a three-year savings scheme. I know at least two people who did and nothing has come of it. Their millions (which should have multiplied) are now tied up in stories and referrals from one office to the other. Years have come and gone and Madison has refused to pay them back as per arrangement. Now hospitals and clinics are even shunning his cards? what is really going on at Madison Insurance? Is there a consumer body that can help, do we need an Erin Brockovich or should we be talking a class action here?

If others have experienced this, it will be nice to hear their stories.

[Post edited by admin.]
bamwine

Re: MADISON INSURANCE

Postby Vuvuzela » 21st July 2010, 16:25

Most private clinics and hospitals now refuse to treat you when you have a Madison card because the company is strict when it comes to settling bills.I agree someone ought to sought this out.
It's also been the experience with most people who sign other policies with insurance companies,when it comes to refunds it's hell to get them and even when they pay you it'll not be in full.
Vuvuzela

Postby Fat Konto » 21st July 2010, 17:28

Somehow i agree with you. I had that scheme and after 5 years of saving with them all i got was almost the same (atleast i did get it, maybe because i look like an executive and they were scared - ha ha ha) i put in. NO multiplication of bucks as promised at recruitment! I would advise anyone wanting to try this (buying units or whatever) to better personally invest it and reap the rewards a hundred fold than making these guys make themselves rich at the expense of the unsuspecting clients.
Fat Konto

Postby KALIZ » 21st July 2010, 17:59

I have been a Madison policyholder myself and i live in ndola for the mentioned policy with the clerks. I got the priviledge of having a phone number of a manager at madison and when my policy came up for expiry, i contacted him and he was very helpful. unless one was just cheated by somebody else with rampant thieves around, i don't see why one cannot go to madison officials and claim what is due to them, i mean if you have a legally binding document. i could help just post your number here.
i worked for another insurance company actually and i have experienced this among zambians... you know like vuvuzela says madison is strict to pay these medical bills for hospitals. it is unfortunate and amazing that some people want to pay so little for insurance and expect to be treated their diseases expensively, some ppl are HIV + and that is not cheap. now insruance comapnies, i know even PICZ for example has same problems, they are in busienss, we should not expect that they will pefrom miracles to pay for exorbitant medical bills where people who are treated even cheat, they send relatives who are really really sick with all sorts fo diseases on one card and unfortunately the hosptials go along with that and accept it... unfortunately that is what has been realised and medical bills are not cheap here in zambia and even elsewhere, more especilly with an HIV rate of more than (70% in real terms). i feel for the insruance companies. i have been there!!! God help them too especially with rampant jealousness around (PHD syndrome)its a pity. s please just ppost your number if you have problems with anyting, i can help you as long as you have a legal doc you signed with them. i can assure you they are not cheats and you dont need an erin brokovich.

cheers
KALIZ

Postby Guest » 21st July 2010, 18:07

interesting reading above. i work in the medical field. medical insurance cannot work here in zambia because people are not willing to pay the real price for PRIVATE CARE. unless if government hospitals were much more heavility subsidised and treatment was restrictred to these hospitals. Insurance companies take it from me.
but also with some genuine complaints outlined above, i think insurance companies like madison just need to improve on customer advice because clients do not understand the policies they sell correctly, they need to be educated because these policies are very helpful. they also should improve on information systems like the way banks do.

Postby bamwine » 22nd July 2010, 07:53

KALIZ wrote :
> I have been a Madison policyholder myself and i live in ndola for the
> mentioned policy with the clerks. I got the priviledge of having a phone
> number of a manager at madison and when my policy came up for expiry, i
> contacted him and he was very helpful. unless one was just cheated by
> somebody else with rampant thieves around, i don't see why one cannot go to
> madison officials and claim what is due to them, i mean if you have a
> legally binding document. i could help just post your number here.
> i worked for another insurance company actually and i have experienced this
> among zambians... you know like vuvuzela says madison is strict to pay
> these medical bills for hospitals. it is unfortunate and amazing that some
> people want to pay so little for insurance and expect to be treated their
> diseases expensively, some ppl are HIV + and that is not cheap. now
> insruance comapnies, i know even PICZ for example has same problems, they
> are in busienss, we should not expect that they will pefrom miracles to pay
> for exorbitant medical bills where people who are treated even cheat, they
> send relatives who are really really sick with all sorts fo diseases on one
> card and unfortunately the hosptials go along with that and accept it...
> unfortunately that is what has been realised and medical bills are not
> cheap here in zambia and even elsewhere, more especilly with an HIV rate of
> more than (70% in real terms). i feel for the insruance companies. i have
> been there!!! God help them too especially with rampant jealousness around
> (PHD syndrome)its a pity. s please just ppost your number if you have
> problems with anyting, i can help you as long as you have a legal doc you
> signed with them. i can assure you they are not cheats and you dont need an
> erin brokovich.
>
> cheers

Kaliz,
You do sound knowledgeable on this but your quoting HIV at 70% a little too high. Off the cuff, there are more HIV negative people than HIV+ people in Zambia. I know we get that wrong almost all the time. 70% would be everybody! Almost!! The real rate maybe higher than the CSO 15%, but 70% is a crazy fetch.

I would be glad to get the number but am not sure i want to post my phone number in a public forum. Thank you. I will continue to follow-up on that policy issue. On their health insurance, I doubt that it is because of the patients. Hospitals like St. Johns (former Monica Chiumya) or Lusaka Trust are big enough to know what should and should not be paid on the insurance (and they cannot treat relatives who do not appear on the card). So I doubt that that is where the problem is coming from. My feeling is that Madison is failing to settle hospital bills because they are busy investing all that money elsewhere (I hear East Africa), and the hospitals are also in business and so need their payments on time. We cannot blame it on HIV. Insurance companies have actuaries who calculate how much people need to pay and what diseases need to be covered. For example I cannot go everyday and claim for eye glasses. Some dental issues are also not covered. There is also a limit on how much an individual can claim on an insurance card.

tx
bamwine

Postby Khaliz » 22nd July 2010, 08:47

Bamwine,

I am a client of Madison for a number of their policies. What people dont realise on that 3 year policy to me it seemed was that a portion of it is life insurance and the balance was what was really investment. For the life insurance part, you know like if you die that is when your family is paid an amount a multiple of some sort or somethign like that. so if you dont die my friend, insurance is not paid back, just lke all insurnace. but this is something people did not know and were unfortunately not educated much by these clerks who went round. ok, you cant give me your number but try to call a lady called chilufya, she is the manager in-charge in their office in Lusaka town and she will of of great help; thats th best i can do in that case
okay, HIV+ maybe 70% is off the roof, but it is not as low as 15%, not everyone gets tested. i had a medical staff scheme with PICZ a year ago, i stopped it because it became expensive. the bills were so high and i got the opportunity to see the medical bills for our staff when the insurance comapny claimed what they called excess from us-they were not cheap. some people even without knowing frequented the hospitals so much without being tested for HIV but they did not know they were HIV +, and bills per person were not cheap. and in private clinics is not like public health centres where ARVs are free. this poor insurnace company openened the medical scheme to everything but the premiums we paid were much less than the medical bills that came through. we do not not have actuaries in zambia actually and it is either insurance companies just use guess work or they use foreign actuaries who do have a test of what is on the ground-pity.

cheers al the best.
Khaliz

Postby Dennis Kapata - Group Public Relations Manager, LSA Group of Companies » 24th July 2010, 09:49

I write to respond to an article posted on your website by “Bamwine” of which the complaints contained therein on “Madison Insurance” have been noted.

At the outset, I want to point out that the LSA Group has two insurance companies namely:

1. Madison General Insurance Company Limited (MGen)

2. Madison Life Insurance Company Limited (MLife)

We also have Madison Health Solutions Ltd which is the marketing wing of MLife for health insurance and global travel insurance products.

Second, I would like to thank “Bamwine” for making the complaint and to take the opportunity to encourage all policy holders who have a complaint to write to me on the following address in order to ensure that their complaints are dealt with and resolved within the shortest possible time:

Dennis Kapata

Group Public Relations Manager

LSA Group of Companies

316 Independence Avenue

P.O. Box 37013

Lusaka

Tel:+260 211 257151/2/4

Fax: +260 211 255075

E-mail: dkapata@lsa.co.zm

We recognize that unless our valued clients voice out their complaints we shall not be able to improve the quality of our products and services and hence our gratitude to “Bamwine” that he or she took the opportunity to complain.

I also wish to assure all our policyholders that our Group Executive Chairman Mr Lawrence Sikutwa takes a keen interest in all complaints against any of the Group companies and will be fully involved in ensuring that there is a satisfactory resolution of the complaints made.

For the benefit of our policy holders, I take this opportunity to inform you of the structure of our Group.

Our structure is such that each subsidiary company has a separate Managing Director who reports to a Board of Directors of that company. These boards have independent persons in the majority. As far as possible, the chairmen of the separate Group Companies are independent persons. In fact all the chairmen of the financial services companies including MGen and MLife are independent persons.

Therefore, complainants are also free to write to the chairpersons and managing directors of the insurance companies, Madison General Insurance Company Zambia Limited (MGen) and Madison Life Insurance Company Zambia Limited (MLife) and state his name or name of scheme and policy number and the nature of their complaint.

Complaints may also be directed to the Group Executive Chairman Mr Lawrence Sikutwa. Complaints can also be directed to the Pensions and Insurance Authority (PIA) who have the responsibility of protecting the interests of all policyholders.

The top management structures of the insurance companies are as follows:

Madison General Insurance Company Zambia Limited:

Chairman of the Board of Directors - Mr David Phiri (Independent person).
Managing Director - Mr Chabala Lumbwe.

Madison Life Insurance Company Zambia Limited (MLife):

Chairman of the Board of Directors - Mr Abel Mkandawire (Independent person)
Managing Director - Mrs Agnes Chakonta

The Madison Pension Trust Fund is headed by Mr Ken Muhanga who is also an independent person.
Meanwhile, readers may be interested to know that the shareholders of LSA Ltd are: The W.B. Fyfe Estate, Mr Rhoydie Chisanga and Mr Lawrence S. Sikutwa. Policyholders can also complain to them.

In ending, I wish to assure “Bamwine” that the Group Chairman has immediately started looking at the complaints raised in the article for immediate resolution and you are welcome to visit any of our offices at your convenience.

Thank you for writing.
Dennis Kapata - Group Public Relations Manager, LSA Group of Companies

Postby Chileshe » 24th July 2010, 21:46

Dear Mr Kapata,

You have set a very high standard for the sector!

You have responded in very clear terms and directed all of us with regard to the institutional structures and available channels of communication.

The ball is now in our courts to make use of these and hold the entire LSA Group accountable.

It would be good if those that have made complaints on Dear Zambia would respond to the information provided by Mr Kapata and then, in due course, advise all of us (via Dear Zambia) as to how things have gone with their griviences.

It would be very sad if things only ended at complaining. This would actually be unfair to yourselves, to LSA Group and to all those that may be in similar situations currently or in the future.

We are watching and waiting . . .
Chileshe

Postby Bushe » 25th July 2010, 12:30

Mr. Kapata,

It's wonderful to see managers who can take time to respond on a forum like this when complaints are raised by the public. I know you prefer to have complaints directed to you privately, but the advantage of such public complaints is that others who may have heard similar rumors or experienced something similar will also see your answer and be satisfied. This is the sort of change Zambian companies have to live with in the information age.

God bless you for coming out.
Bushe

Postby Mercy » 25th July 2010, 13:09

Dear Mr Kapata,

Thats the spirit, we are proud of Madison Insurance! Keep it up
Mercy

Postby Advisor » 25th July 2010, 22:35

Bamwisho,

Mr Kapata has availed you full structural lines to air your complaints. Make use of them and not merely complain on a website. The doors are open according to Mr kapata. Make use of even by phone.
Advisor

Postby Ba Mwisho » 26th July 2010, 08:30

Hey Advisor,it was not "ba mwisho" but was "bamwine" who put in that complaint.no wonder you fail exams,you let simle wordings confuse you.read,read,read,read and read!
Ba Mwisho

Postby Bamwine » 26th July 2010, 08:38

Mr. Kapata

That is very impressive! Thank you. Now that is what I call PR! There must be something to this Kapata name (thinking about the other guy at the LCC).
I will be following up and will let you (and others) know of the outcome.

Thanks.
Bamwine

Postby Akulu » 27th July 2010, 13:38

Well done Mr. Kapata for the professional manner you have addressed these issues.
keep it up. We need more Zambians like you.
Akulu

Postby Umu-zambian » 27th July 2010, 14:32

Hey people dont just thank Madison and end there,go up to them and buy up their products!u have seen how professional they are from Mr kapata's response.Personally these are the kind of people I would want to do business with.
Big up Mr Kapata,I can even buy an ice-cold mosi for you hehehhehhehe !
Umu-zambian

Postby Bamwine » 27th July 2010, 14:52

Mr Kapata should get a raise right? Ok Mr. Sikutwa, at least an annual award :)
Bamwine

Postby Cpt Solo » 27th July 2010, 15:13

Am now begining to think mr kapata and Bamwine are relatives!just joking!
yeah Kapta deserves a pat on the back for coming out like that.most of these PR chaps from other companies would have just been stumbling,mumbling,blinking and blah blah blah but Kapta came out so diplomatic!
Cpt Solo

Return to Banking & Insurance