UBA - Pathetic Customer Care

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

UBA - Pathetic Customer Care

Postby Samara » 9th September 2010, 15:03

Dear Zambia,

I walked into UBA Kamwala to last week to make a payment for a Nigerian Visa.Why on earth the High Comission now insists that we go all the way to UBA to pay the administrative and Visa fees i don't know. Before i walked in i was wondering if the bank was operational.There is nothing on the door to show operating hours or even that there was any activity inside.I walk in the place and it is empty except for the workers.The teller opposite the door attended to me.He is a very rude person.As i gave him my 50 USD he checked in the machine and said it was not ok.The dollar note had been bought at a reputable bureau in Kabulonga just minutes before and when later checked at Invest Trust Bank it was found to be genuine.He told me to pay the Kwacha equilvalent - so i lost out on my money because i had to pay more than the normal dollar rate. When i asked if i could use my phone because the dollar was genuine he was like outside.He was extremly rude even when giving instructions on where i needed to fill in information. When i left i told myself, i would never ever use UBA again.It is no wonder they did not have clients.When i got back to my office i told the entire place about my experience and how i think it is simply a plot that you pay more by paying kwacha instead of them getting your dollar. We are already suspicious of Nigerian owned banks like UBA and if they want their bank to be established here they better check their people who deal with customers.Dear Zambia,
Samara

Re: UBA - Pathetic Customer Care

Postby Mat » 9th September 2010, 15:20

Oh it's a Nigerian bank? [Red flags go up].

The more important question is : are the local managers Nigerian too?

If they are Nigerian then maybe the rude tone you were hearing was just how they speak. Their voice is always on aggression mode.
Mat

Postby Big 1 » 26th October 2010, 16:57

They are a bunch of selfish characters! Something stinks about the whole "You must pay at UBA" nonsense. Is UBA now an extension of the Nigerian High Commission? Something fishy is going on here.
Big 1

Postby Plofessor » 26th October 2010, 22:06

Hold your horses people.

There is NOTHING fishy about paying for visa fees of a country at a bank originating from that country. They're simply giving business to their fellow national institution. For a Chinese visa, they make you drive to their Bank of China branch on Longolongo road and make you pay there. The Nigerian High Commission sends us to UBA. Only if there was Investrust all over the world!

They're making us do their job. It's really that simple. They have their respective accounts at these banks and instead of them collecting the money at the embassies and going daily/weekly to deposit, they force us to do it, or else no traveling!
Plofessor

Postby Mild » 26th October 2010, 22:38

Mat,

Have you heard Koreans speaking? My first experience was a shocker. Here I was thinking I should be adventurous that day and try some Korean bar-b-que. I sat down at a table, with a Korean friend of mine. I was going to start by requesting a glass of water. I timidly raised my hand to motion to the waitress. She came down the aisle rumbling something in Korean. I got spooked. I decided not to wait and find out what ticked her off so much. I got up and ran for the exit. The waitress was hot on my heels still blubbering about some crap in Korean. I was like man, this brod is wacko.

The Korean friend came after me and said the waitress was saying welcome to me and wanted to know what I wanted. So I asked why she was so angry? He said no she wasn't angry at all.

Anyway, I later learned that's how they talk. Like it's world war 3. I saw it several days later when two groups of Korean students were approaching each other in a mad melee. I was just waiting to see the first fist flying. Then to my surprise they were hugging and laughing. I was like geez, what's with these nut-jobs?
Mild

Postby Mat » 27th October 2010, 07:44

Ha ha ha! Yes, that's how Nigerians are too. Even the choncholi ( Chinese) when they are speaking English. It sounds like a scolding, which is why some Zambian workers have tried to beat them up!
Mat

Postby Literate zambian » 10th November 2010, 14:03

its obvious that Samara has pre-concieved notions of nigerians. is it not a fact that Barclays customer service is xtremely poor and they externalise their profits? you need to remove yourself from under the white man's thumb in believing "white man-good","progressive black man-crooked." Your xenophobic sentiments have left me feeling sorry for the zambian staff at UBA who are just trying to make a living. Do not judge a whole instution and nation based on one encounter with one individual. However you are entitled to your opinions so i hope you'll be able to afford yourself unbiased/uncorrupted criticism of another nation's nationals.
Literate zambian

Postby Customer » 10th November 2010, 15:19

I dont understand what you aretrying to get at here, if you had gone to any Bank including those that you favour your dollar would have been rejected because it was simply not okay, coming to customer service you probably used to queing up which i understand, honestly whats wrong in finding a banking hall empty, it might be efficiency of service or you came at time when clients had not started streaming in, the signs at the door of that Bank are clearly stipulated, you are just biased and favour every thing WESTERN to be good though it does not benefit any African country.
Customer

Postby msana wanzili » 10th November 2010, 20:33

Literate Zambian & customer
Come on guys, why are you trying to spin on behalf of this pathetic Bank? Theres no need of bringing race into this, everyone normal knows good customer service when they see.
msana wanzili

Postby msana wanzili » 10th November 2010, 20:33

Literate Zambian & customer
Come on guys, why are you trying to spin on behalf of this pathetic Bank? Theres no need of bringing race into this, everyone normal knows good customer service when they see.
msana wanzili

Postby msana wanzili » 10th November 2010, 20:34

.....see it.
msana wanzili

Postby Producer » 10th November 2010, 20:56

wanzili dear, thanks. But no need to stop breast feeding your baby just to come back to finish that sentence. I already knew what you were labouring to express in your first post. thanks again.
Producer

Postby msana wanzili » 11th November 2010, 09:39

Producer
Is that you Mr Guest?
msana wanzili

Postby Literate Zambian » 12th November 2010, 07:50

Wanzili i agree with you on the cust. serv. point but if u properly read what was said about nigerians personally then u'd understand why i am "spinning" as u put it.
Literate Zambian

Postby Guest » 12th November 2010, 21:44

I think the point about poor customer service is clear, and all Samara was supposed to do (before posting his/her complaint on this forum) was to see someone senior in that Bank, and am sure what he/she would have posted would be how much help he/she received.

We should not rush to label an institution because of the behaviour of one person as if that person owns the whole institution. If he said the US dollar was not original even when it could have been, the good thing is that they had an alternative way of having you pay in Kwacha. (Infact all transactions in Zambia better be in kwacha) It would be a different story if they asked you to pay in US dollar and you had kwacha.

When we go to a service provider, we should learn to complain firstly according to the laid down procedure of that institution, and if we dont get help, then it is reasonable for anyone to complain anywhere.

Postby Pondamwendo » 12th November 2010, 22:46

They have recently changed the face of most US bank notes. They now have some kind of pink glow. Maybe that's what spooked the bank worker. He thought, pink?? hell no. Is this a mickey mouse dollar or what?

I don't know. I'm just saying maybe that was the problem.

But dear Guest, again, the clarity with which you express your thoughts is very enviable. Not a good idea to judge the whole company based on the behavior of a lone worker.

Could be any number of reasons why that worker is in a bad mood. Maybe the wife forced him to sleep on the settee in the living room. Maybe he just hit his 40th birthday and realized, holy cow! where did the years go? Or maybe he just ate something bad for breakfast and now he has a foreboding sense of a mini storm brewing in his belly. You never know.

Yes I agree with Guest. best thing is to exhaust all channels of communication with that company before you come to bad-mouth them here.
Pondamwendo

Postby Guest » 5th January 2011, 16:37

at times it goes with the pay theres no way in hell u re going to expect a person to attend to u in a professional manner if theres nothing professional abt his pay,think abt it

Postby guest » 1st February 2011, 09:20

Mr Samara i am sure that your experience was not a very pleasant one.UBA Zambia does have a customer complaints email,which you my find usefull in future to express your disatisfaction with the Bank.you can log your issue on cservice@ubagroup.com or infozambia@ubagroup.com
It is better to express your self than to stay silent

Postby Muletasha bane » 1st February 2011, 13:14

wich is better : a crowded bank or a bank were u walk in & out with no hassle?
Muletasha bane

Postby mulato » 8th February 2011, 16:59

nothing, ....except there was plenty of 'hassle'.
mulato

Next Page

Return to Banking & Insurance