Melissa Supermarket Brown Bread

Tell Zambia about a shop selling some product cheaper than others. Or ask others to help you find something. Compare quality too.
» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Melissa Supermarket Brown Bread

Postby Tiwonge » 1st July 2010, 21:45

Dear Zambia,

Do you know were to get the best brown bread? Melissa Supermarket! I have tried all the breads from spar, shoprite you name it. But they are just an imitation of brown bread. The bread from these other shops looks like 'refined' brown flour. It is neither brown nor white. Melissa Supermarket has been around for a long time and has maitained the quality of their bread (be it white or brown) as compared to other shops. Spar and Shoprite, pleas emulate Melissa or ask for the recipe/source of flour.
Tiwonge

Re: Melissa Supermarket

Postby Sharon » 10th July 2010, 11:08

I totally agree over Melissa Supermarket.The service is impressive and they have the freshest well priced vegetables I have ever gotten anywhere.I awlays get vegetables and brown bread from there.Go Melissa!
Sharon

Postby RICHARD B » 13th July 2010, 19:59

Dear Zambian,
They offer good services and support the local producers hence there products are fresh and best.
Try them and you will find out.
RICHARD B

Postby TRZ » 28th July 2010, 14:49

Yeah. I went to the Pick N Pay and Melissa still trumps their vegetable section.

BTW: i have heard there is a new farmers' market in Bauleni. I am checking it out this Friday. Am told the prices can make you dance a jig and thank your ancestors.
TRZ

Postby Teena » 28th July 2010, 16:12

And its good to see they still have their clientele even after Pick 'N Pay opened. Melissa has been packed as usual since the PNP opened...goes to show that people will appreciate the old, even when something new and shiny is dangled in front of them, so long as they know the old has given them a consistently superb service.

Kudos, Melissa... I always go there when I get my peking duck or goat meat cravings and am never disappointed by the freshness.
Teena

Postby Shish » 28th July 2010, 16:33

Fully agree about good quality Brown Bread from Melissa - just would appreciate it more if they could have it sliced too!
Shish

Postby Mbewe » 28th July 2010, 17:29

Shish,
I do not detect the slightest hint of humour from you. You are serious aren't you? You want them to slice the bread for you??? Some of you guys, I can only imagine the silver spoon with which you were born stuck in your mouth. And that's to put it mildly.

anyway, nuff said
Mbewe

Postby Ba Mwisho » 28th July 2010, 17:51

Mbewe,wats wrong with someone wishing or suggesting that melisa bread would be better if it was sliced?where does the silver spoon come in?I thought sliced bread REDUCES ON TIME that you spend in the morning preparing breakfast.imagine getting a loaf from your bin then starting to cut,then throwing in toaster or spreading it with butter/magarine????but with sliced you just get toast or butter it straight away!and also having to clean the crumbs after cutting???and also the risk of cutting your finger????
lets think on those lines.
Ba Mwisho

Postby Mbewe » 28th July 2010, 18:06

Ba Mwisho,
okay, let us set the silver spoon aside for a sec. Did you know that the bread you slice yourself at home is fresher and better tasting? Okay, never mind the taste. Taste is subjective. But trust me on the fresh.

P.S. I also wanted to point out that Jesus Christ himself ate unsliced bread. But again, I realize the pitfalls of injecting Jesus into bread.
Mbewe

Postby Ba Mwisho » 28th July 2010, 18:20

I thought they did not have slicing machines back then in Our Lords day????
I thought I was just trying to suggest to you some little bit of time management???
I thought saving a little time/seconds wherever and whenever you can is beneficial???
Ba Mwisho

Postby Mbewe » 28th July 2010, 18:30

Ba Mwisho,
I see your point. I am not the bread police. Please understand this. Each man do as he please with his own bread. I like mine unsliced. It takes me less time to slice my own bread than it does to walk from my car to my office, having to stop at every turn, listening to people telling me about their dreary lives and their brown sliced bread. So I'd rather slice my own bread, taste the freshness, fake a phone call on my cell phone as I walk to my office and keep the boring chit-chatters at bay. That's all I'm saying. And thanks for your time management suggestion. I'll take it under advisement.
Mbewe

Postby Bamwine » 4th August 2010, 17:09

The two of you really crack my ribs. Bamwisho, you should replace that west african guy who writes in the post. He pretends to know something about Zambia but I don't get his humour. I think you could trump him. Edem is his name.

But again, i digress - but not as far as introducing the subject of whether Jesus ate sliced or unsliced bread. I am not sure that bread was even in the shape to go through a slicing machine, assuming one was invented.

Coming to Melissa. I thought there was still a slicing machine in the bread section. You have a choice whether to get it sliced or unsliced. Sometimes you need to exercise some patience as the hot bread will not survive the machine's wrath. I also remember that 'iya kumokola' bread is quite nice. Old school style. But then again (again) we are all grown now to behaving otherwise.

I also notice that Melissa has instituted an incentive mechanism for their workers. You can see how they lobby for you to go to their till. And they have to smile (almost like airhostesses) else customers will shun their tills. Other places can learn from that.
Bamwine

Postby Kabusha » 4th August 2010, 17:20

Guys

Ilyashi lya bread is a very delicate subject and needs to be treated with the importance it deserves. Looking back in history where the Tsar Nicolas of Russia was hang by the peasant be cause of umukate we need to treat the subject with caution. I can see how passionate brothers are about it...

keep on flowing brothers but next time I am in Kabs I will surely buy the brown bread, tow loaves one sliced and the other just 'bomfwa', 'shinkwa' or 'bistombi' as super loaf was known in the past.
Kabusha

Postby Ex » 5th August 2010, 08:30

Kabusha, iwe Kabusha! i hear you carrying on about tsar Nicolas and them bomfwa and you bring back to me, memories from 1993-1997 when I was a student at Chadiza sec. History was my forte. Second only to scouting for roasted maize and ganja in the surrounding villages.

My buddies and I used to haul sacks of green maize to a designated bush rendezvous, our pockets bulging with first grade Malawian ganja. We'd sit under those shady trees roasting the maize, puffing on joint after joint after joint and we'd philosophize about Aristotle, Socrates and the histories of civilizations, ancient and contemporary. Once in a while, we even managed a live chicken, whom we’d be-head, de-feather and roast. ya! Memories
Ex

Postby Bamwine » 10th August 2010, 13:40

Iwe Ex. My advise is 'Leka ukupepa chamba'. Get off that weed; its not good for you. 20 years later and we can still get the effects. We are talking about bomfwa and there you go jumping up and down over chamba. Just out of interest: was that brown or white chamba? sliced or unsliced? Maybe we can link it to our bread discussion.
Bamwine

Postby Ex » 10th August 2010, 20:16

Bamwine,buti mudala you can cause someone to want to find a hole and crawl in it. ati sliced or unsliced, white or brown?

okay, the ganja was a dark greenish color with hints of dark brown to give it that extra punch when you smoke it. you know, the oozing tar from the dry leaf.

if you don't mind my telling you a short story. it was after one of these smoke filled festivals in the bush. No chicken that day, but loads of dry pan roasted maize and some groundnuts. then about 20:30, I remembered I had a history paper due the next day. Under candle light I penned an essay. The topic was events that led up to world war one. The essay was a master piece. The history teacher Mr Mwanza displayed my essay on the back board for the remainder of that school term.

If you still don't believe me about the power of ganja, try to smoke a few puffs. Then look at an unsliced loaf of bread and see if you care. You will devour that bomfwa with such speed as if an angry hippo was hot on your heels.
Ex

Postby Bamwine » 11th August 2010, 10:50

Ha ha ha ROFL! again and again and again. You are one funny man!! Do you mean we should encourage our children to smoke it before their exams? I thought that chamba/ganja etc just accentuates whatever abilities you have, and you cannot tell to which direction. So maybe you are already a good writer and ganja just excites you to be more creative. That does not mean it will have the same effect. And what is the dosage: two puffs? three times daily etc??

We had a guy at school who used to smoke that stuff like crazy. The guy could eat 20 lumps of nshima in one sitting!! Obviously that stuff alters his normal appetite to crazy proportions. I doubt it gives him a second stomach so he still has to suffer the consequences of over eating! And I am not about to start eating a whole loaf of bread at breakfast, Melissa or not.
Bamwine

Postby Let's laugh » 9th December 2010, 13:38

Ex wrote :
> Bamwine,buti mudala you can cause someone to want to find a hole and crawl
> in it. ati sliced or unsliced, white or brown?
>
> okay, the ganja was a dark greenish color with hints of dark brown to give
> it that extra punch when you smoke it. you know, the oozing tar from the
> dry leaf.
>
> if you don't mind my telling you a short story. it was after one of these
> smoke filled festivals in the bush. No chicken that day, but loads of dry
> pan roasted maize and some groundnuts. then about 20:30, I remembered I had
> a history paper due the next day. Under candle light I penned an essay. The
> topic was events that led up to world war one. The essay was a master
> piece. The history teacher Mr Mwanza displayed my essay on the back board
> for the remainder of that school term.
>
> If you still don't believe me about the power of ganja, try to smoke a few
> puffs. Then look at an unsliced loaf of bread and see if you care. You will
> devour that bomfwa with such speed as if an angry hippo was hot on your
> heels.

My friend, tell me; how did I miss this topic of yours with other crazie nuts like Kabusha and Bamwine? :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: lol!!!
Let's laugh

Re: Melissa Supermarket Brown Bread

Postby ElenaM » 30th December 2010, 07:46

I equally give a thumbs up to Melisa Brown Bread. Generally, Northmead makes better bread than the Kabulonga outlet. Their brown bread is not just made of brown flour as noted by others sold in Shoprite, Spar and Pick 'n' Pay.

Melisa also really support local farmers and food producers with vegetables, fish and meat. They have been around for many many years and have maintained consistency in their services.
ElenaM

Re: Melissa Supermarket Brown Bread

Postby MISS MUZUNGU » 30th December 2010, 10:09

HAS ANYONE NOTICED THAT MELISA HAS CHEAPEST COOKING OIL (AMANITA) IN LUSAKA. ESPECIALLY AFTER PICK AND PAY OPENED, AND TRIED TO ENTICE CUSTOMERS, WITH CHEAP COOKING OIL, MELISA DID THEIR RESEARCH, AND SLUSHED THEIR PRICES, BELLOW P&P.
I ALWAYS BUY A CASE FROM MELISA.
ON THE LOCAL PRODUCE, THUMBS UP TO MELISA. CHEAP FRESH VEGGIES, AND OTHER LOCALLY PRODUCED GOODS.
UP TO DATE P&P DOES NOT HAVE LOCALLY PRODUCED FETA, OR GREEK STYLE YOGURT.
I DONT GO THERE ANY MORE.
MISS MUZUNGU

Next Page

Return to Bargain Hunter!!!