matebetos

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

matebetos

Postby Chama » 13th August 2010, 23:44

Dear Zambia,

The many small restaurants specializing in nshima and other Zambian food are now very popular, the matebetos. But I wonder if there's anyone who monitors their standards of hygiene in the kitchens where they cook. People are quick to call on government inspectors to check the higher end restaurants. What about matebetos?

I have felt ill after eating at two different matebetos so far. I think we should be careful about the environment of these small places. I believe someone will soon discover that they are very unhygienic in their food preparation.
Chama

Re: matebetos

Postby Kb » 15th August 2010, 16:58

Chama,
you may be right about this..i remember i once had nshima at one of those restaurants in thornpark..i must admit i totally enjoyed the food!especially the t-bone..but like you've pointed out,i doubt the hygiene is up to standard..but then again,u wonder how come that place is always packed with all sorts of people.. Including big guys in big companies..
Kb

Postby Dudu » 15th August 2010, 21:39

Kb,

It being packed with 'big guys' from 'big companies' has nothing to do with hygiene. That is why the fella is bringing it to the attention of inspectors, so that they can be inspected ( if hygienic) we can go on enjoying the food. Note that if they are unhygienic, they will be closed even if we enjoy the food. Inspectors, there is a job for you (get on with it).
Dudu

Postby Logan » 16th August 2010, 10:35

I JUST LOVE THEIR FISH!!!!!!!!!!!

(suddenly feels hungry)
Logan

Postby Kb » 17th August 2010, 20:50

By the way,am told they once tried to close down that place and people protested.. Not too sure about this information though..
Kb

Postby Bush doctor » 17th August 2010, 21:31

Chama,

Relying on some government agency to inspect these matebetos may be too much to ask. Just going by how slow the wheels of government turn here in Zambia. If you are looking for a solution that is entirely dependent on you, I have a couple of suggestions. Maybe three.
1. Learn to cook nshima.
2. Date someone who will be willing to cook for you.
3. If somehow the first two listed above are not an option for you, then pack some cloves of garlic when you go to these places. After a meal, eat one clove of garlic. It is a natural antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal medicine.

And since for you to resort to option #3, means that you haven't had much luck on the dating scene, you will not have to worry about the bad breath garlic will give you. You will not be kissing anyone anyway.

But in case you have to work in close proximity with other people and they complain about your bad breath, try to rinse your mouth with hydrogen peroxide. It's the cheapest, yet, best remedy for bad breath. If you are using 3% hydrogen peroxide, mix it with an equal amount of water. 1% hydrogen peroxide, you can use all by itself. Just make sure you gaggle for about 20 seconds.

Good luck and I hope you will enjoy your nshima next time at the matebeto without a belly ache.
Bush doctor

Postby gormandizing » 18th August 2010, 02:58

Logan boyi,
please indulge me. What kind of fish is your favorite? and how do they cook it? Myself, I think one of my all time favs is a fried fresh Tilapia. That thick skin retains all the flavor.

Say you pinch a ball of nshima in your hand then you roll it into a nice oval shaped lump. While it is resting on your four fingers, you make a small dent on the lump using your thumb. And then you scoope a chunk of tilapia flesh and wedge it into that small dent on top of the lump of nshima. You bring the two to your wide open mouth. With one gulp, eyes closed and just before saliva drops from your mouth, you make the grub disappear and your mouth begins a celebration.

oh dear, why did I even join this discussion? Now I am dreadfully hungry.
gormandizing

Postby Pro » 18th August 2010, 05:27

do these people offer cow's intestines? I like that stuff with nshima cooked to soft, sticky paste. Not too hard. When you bring that nshima in the hand, you can barely hold it coz it's hot hot. You are forced to dunk it in that greasy cow intestine soup and swallow it whole. I like when you can feel the heat travelling down the digestive tract. Cow intestine is a super delicious relish.

The anatomy of a perfect match between nshima and a relish should be a course taught at UNZA.
Pro

Postby Chama » 18th August 2010, 10:01

Bush doc.

Thanks for the tips. I do have a wife but I have little time to go home for lunch. The matebetos are convenient and nearer to work. I will have to try your garlic formula although I am not keen on the hydrogen peroxide phase. I hope it won't kill me. If it kills me, i will sue you.
Chama

Postby Bush doctor » 18th August 2010, 16:47

Chama,

good to hear that you are happily married and the matebeto scene is purely out of necessity.

Which one are you afraid might kill you? The hydrogen peroxide is a mouth wash only. Not a drink. You not supposed to swallow that one. Just gaggle and spit out. Besides, if you buy the common variety kind, it is 3% at the most and you want to mix that with water. Swallowing a small amount of that (by accident) will not kill you. You have my assurance.

Garlic is in the onion family. That will definitely not kill you. It is used in food recipes all the time. The health benefits of garlic have been well documented since ancient times of the pharaohs in Egypt and the ancient Chinese dynasties and many other civilizations. Garlic has all sorts of uses. In some tribes they even use it to ward off evil spirits. If you believe in that sort of thing.

But check this out. If you ever go to a mosquito infested area, try to rub garlic all over your body. Not one mosquito will bite. Although needless to say, you will be one stinky man. Even the wife might ask you nicely to sleep in the next room please. hehe. But yes, garlic works as an ingested medicine or from without.
Bush doctor

Postby Cindy » 19th August 2010, 13:55

Ba Chama,

Like Bush doc advised, if you choose to go the garlic way... PLEASE make sure you find a solution to kill that garlic breath bcoz trust me your wife wont relish your kisses, and women as they/we are, she may not tell you, meanwhile she's dying inside, depending on how the two of you relate with each other. Now, the kiss being the starter... we don't want to mess that part, do we?
Cindy

Postby Experience » 13th January 2016, 21:47

That matebeto nsima goes down very well after a few drinks. Well, perhaps that's not saying much at all. Anything goes down well after a few drinks.

speaking of a few drinks,,, I knew a mechanic in Chipata who was an expert at fixing any kind of mechanical problem on any car. But on the condition that he has to have a few drinks before he starts the mechanic job. When he was sober he was as useless as a lamp post
Experience

Return to Eating places (Restaurants, fast-food, etc.)