Rhapsody's Restaurant

» Topic locked   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Rhapsody's Restaurant

Postby Chansa » 1st July 2010, 11:14

Dear Zambia,

I had a not so great experience in Rhapsody's at Arcades some months ago. It seems the waiters and waitresses have something against their fellow blacks. I went there with a friend of mine who had just come in from South Africa for a holiday. We sat down and called for a waiter who quickly answered that he had to attend to something else and he would be back. Several minutes passed and we asked another one (female) and same thing happened.

In the meantime I saw a group of three white people come and sit at a nearby table only to see them attended to soon after. I tried a third waitress and the same nonsense happened. 15 minutes had passed with no service and we finally got fed up and left. Rhapsody's had better get their act together if they expect me to ever go back there. I heard from a friend later that they love whites since they get lots of tips but that is no excuse because they get the service charge which is added to the bill and in any case, it is still wrong to make customers wait for 15 minutes without being served, regardless of the tip issue. I hope management will look into this issue.
Chansa

Re: Rhapsody's Restaurant

Postby Don » 1st July 2010, 21:26

Has anybody explained to waiters what their duty is? Its to WAIT on guests regardless of tip! I suggest that Rhaposody's management invest in the training of their staff for long term benefits. Frequent customer service trainings are essential in the service industry otherwise you lose clients to upcoming restaurants. Or perharps the waiters are paid minimal wages... A win-win situation for employer and staff is important for success of the business.Rhapsody's management, please look into this.
Don

Postby Bella » 9th July 2010, 08:59

Well put Don. i also have a complaint about Rhapsody's waiters. My spouse and i + a couple of our friends were at Rhapsody's having drinks and meals by the outside bar as the place was packed. after having one too many we asked for our bill; and to my surprise the bill was inflated beyond imaginable doubt(266,000!!!)- i dono if the waiter thought we were too wasted to notice. unfortunately for him we were a bunch of accountants/auditors n before he knew we caught him out!! upon asking to see the manager he quickly apologised and said he had made a mistake. i did not think he deserved a tip even tho my spouse left something. Rhapsody mgt look into the pipo u employ. cheap labour will cause u to employ ba kawalala!!!
Bella

Postby Akulu » 9th July 2010, 10:01

I have a simple philosophy on these issues. Walk away and don't go back there, then management will wake up and do something about the attitude of their waiters. If you keep going there nothing will change. As a consumer, you have the power to change things. Once they see their customer base diminishing they will wake up and take action if they wish to stay in business that is.
Akulu

Postby Michelle N. » 9th July 2010, 11:07

I also have a complaint about Rhapsody's i rarely go there because this has been going on forever and i think 101 also has aproblem with the way they mix there so called cocktails..They put too much ice fo one thing and know one knows what measurements they use when pouring shots because i was ordering double shots of whisky and all i ended up paying for was a whole lot of ice and knowing my limit i would think after so many double shots i'ld feel the effects but because the drinks were so iced down i was practically drinking whisky flavoured melted ice cubes!!
The same thing happended at Rhaps after ordering Mojhitos it was pathetic!first the servrd it in a tall glass like the type they use for softies and then its jam packed with ice to the brim and all i could see was the actual drink right at the bottom of the glass i jus took one sip with the straw and jus to decided to leave.AM NEVER GOING BACK THERE.
Should we be limited to now order drinks that come sealed in bottles because this is the only alternative to getting your moneys worth in these places.They seriously have to improve there standards especially when we pay so much FOR that standard..
Michelle N.

Postby Roula Lostrom- Director Rhapsodys Cafe and WIne Bar » 9th July 2010, 11:36

Dear Dear Zambia readers,
thank you for bringing your complaints forward.
It is always good to hear from our clients of any bad experiences you might have had, but unfortunately people do not wish to come forward and present their complaints in person, but wish to rather voice their complaints in a public manner. This is sometimes not constructive but rather destructive. We strive ourselves in offering Lusaka a fine dining experience and make great efforts to keep standards high at all times, and take every effort to resolve any issues. We certainly wish to hear of such complaints regarding racial discrimination or incorrect billing- because we pride ourselves to be a venue where our guests are treated with the greatest of respect in spite of colour, creed or religion!

I would like to comment on a few things for customers general understanding of our industry.

Firstly regarding employing waitrons at Rhapsoyds- we have an intense training program to bring them up to the standards that we require- before they even start taking orders. We do not have a pool of experienced workers to employ from, as the industry standards are generally very low. So we take on youngsters who have virtually no knowledge, and train them to a level that is acceptable. We have daily training constantly- regarding service. This is a priority in our business.

Further, let me inform you that we DO NOT CHARGE SERVICE CHARGE! The law in Zambia clearly states that hotels and lodges should charge service charge but restaurants are not obliged to charge service charge. We clearly state so on the bottom of our bills. Our waitrons are paid a good basic wage but they earn tips for the extra effort that they make on service. It is your discretion if you offer a gratuity or not. We believe that a good waitron will earn more if his service standard is high, that way he will be motivated to make every effort to give his guest the best service. This is an internationally accepted norm in the restaurant industry.

We currently employ over 40 waitrons - and if there is ever an incident of racial discrimination please please bring it to our attention. There is no other way of stamping out this issue if it is not brought to our attention. The same applies to incorrect billing. If a guest feels that he has been billed unfairly in any way and the manager has not addressed this issue correctly please bring your complaints forward.

We at Rhapsody's believe that our customer is our king - and we instill that motto in our staff every day. As in every industry there will be members of staff who do not behave appropriately, help us give you a better service by coming forward with your complaints.

Please feel free to contact me on : 0977675000 or 0966754475 or roula@rhapsodys.co.zm
We also have our data base forms available where you could write your comments, complaints and constructive criticism - i would encourage you to do so.

My sincerest apologies to those of you who have had such bad experiences in our restaurant.

Regards
Roula Lostrom
Roula Lostrom- Director Rhapsodys Cafe and WIne Bar

Postby Ba Zambia » 9th July 2010, 12:21

Dear Roula,
Thank you very much for your elaborate explanation. I do believe you are sincere and would like to request that you really take people's complaints seriously. I have been to your place and I agree that there was a day I walked out due to delayed service. I came there with a Zambian model who I had invited for dinner. Unfortunately we sat there without being served until we decided to walk out. Its very difficult for people to come to you and complain because to start with they dont even know you personally as the MD and its not always that you are there. Moreover discrimination/racism is very difficult to prove due to lack of tangiable evidence. But we see that whites are quickly served and attended to. So my suggestion is that you deploy about 3 supervisors every day especially in the evening to just go round tables and monitor the quality of service. Its your duty as management to ensure that your staff are doing their work. Its not that customers take pride in bringing such issues to the public. They do this as a last resort to warn others and ensure that such things do not happen to other unsuspecting customers. Its a common "shaming" practice in business which unfortunately you cannot avoid as long as you are serving the public. For me the question you have to ask yourself is why so many people have raised the question of discrimination/racism about Rapsodys'. I dont think we all hate your place. To the contrary we love the place. Its beautiful, clean and just simply amazing. All we are saying is that please please improve just in one area where we feel you are lacking, that is, treat all customers the same.

Ba Zambia
Ba Zambia

Postby Cindy » 9th July 2010, 12:39

Share same sentiments about Rhapsodys restaurant, same as Michael Angelo restaurant in Ndola. Even the proprietors of these resatuarants know about the discimination their workers practise in these reataurants but will NOT ADMIT because they started this discimination anyway and passed it on to their employees. Sad, annoying and shamefull. We all pay for the service, regardless of our skin colour so try to think again. POLITICALLY INCORRECT!!
Cindy

Postby Kangwa Chansa » 9th July 2010, 13:02

I commend you Roula for being the first person in management to publicly answer the complaints we all haven about your otherwise fine restaurant. I have another perhaps more useful suggestion.

Why don't you get some people you know who are black Zambians but not known to your staff to randomly come and eat at your restaurant on a regular basis. They can tell you if they have been discriminated against against, etc.

(By the way, send them there on a very busy night like Friday or Saturday and make sure there are lots of white people present as a test.)
Kangwa Chansa

Postby Makaveli » 9th July 2010, 13:04

[deleted by admin]
Makaveli

Postby Thandi » 9th July 2010, 13:27

I like the professional manner in which you have responded to the criticisms being leveled against your establishment. Going by the trouble you have taken to make a lengthy response, am sure you take these concerns very seriously.

Well, I can not resist to share my own experience which happened over a year ago. My friend and I were dining at your restaurant on a Friday when it was very busy and we were quite appalled by the service from your staff. First, we had to wait for a while to get attended to. I initially thought that was understandable given that the place was full of clients, until some white folks walked in, and before they could even find a sit, a waiter was already attending to them. It was another 30mins or so before we could make an order. The drinks took forever to come. However, this wasn't too bad compared to what we were to experience next!

We had ordered our meal and were told it would be ready within 30mins when we asked how long it would take. After waiting for over an hour and making countless inquiries about our order, the order finally came. Unfortunately, the two meals were not only cold, but one of them was completely wrong! To add insult to injury, there was no sign of any cutlery with the meals or on the table and the waitress who delivered the order quickly disappeared without giving us a chance to talk. I was so upset that I called the nearest staff member I could see and told them to take back the food and give us the bill for the drinks because we had completely lost our appetite and were leaving! He refused saying only the person serving our table could do that: we had already been "served" by over 4 different waiters and waitresses at that point! I just couldn't take it any more and just dropped the money for the drinks on the table and we walked out!

I have not been ever since but with what I am currently hearing from people, I might never return - unless drastic measures are taken to really improve the service.
Thandi

Postby Guest » 9th July 2010, 13:45

Makaveli wrote :
> people supprise me alot especially zambians!i guess the anger is coming
> from seeing your bill afterwards huh?Y even go there in the first place?if
> u kant afford it just stay home and eat your nshima/chibwawa/bukabuka OK
> other than smearing good places with all sort of mud.no wonder MC wabwino
> sang y'all in his PHD song.and about that person complaning abt club101,i
> dont think you have even been there?????pretence zambians,too much
> pretence!

That is such a typical comment, the complaints raised regarding overbilling are so relevant that they should not be trivialised. It's disappointing to read such an unintelligent comment after the thoughtful debate preceding it. Overbilling is a big problem, i have encountered it at Times Cafe on at least 4 different occasions. Either the billing system has to change or a better complaints system has to be put in place. For example where do i go if i have a complaint to make at Rhapsody's or Times Cafe, we need a VERY VISIBLE complaints office where matters can be handled IMMEDIATELY. No one wants to make a scene by publicly accusing the waitress of theft, you'd rather go and do it in a dignified manner in the relevant office. Hats Off to The Rhapsody man for actually responding, i wish the Times people could do the same.

Postby Makaveli » 9th July 2010, 13:50

[deleted by admin]
Makaveli

Postby Realist » 9th July 2010, 16:22

First of all i must congratulate Roula for coming in to clarify somethings as well as apologise to the customers who had recieved bad service at Rhapsodys, i think thats the way to go. I am a proud african who works hard for her money and is well paid, if i might say so myself, and i beg to differ with Makaveli's assertions. I think when one gets up from their house to go and spend their hard earned money at any joint they deserve good service, if they feel like having a Mosi that will cost K14,000 that is their choice and they should get decent service for it. Mind you the lady whose family noticed their bill had been inflated had good grounds to say so cause in the end the thing had to be corrected. I have been to rhapsodys several times and i must say most (notice i say "most") of the times the service i have gotten there has been decent. Once or twice tho their waiters have been rude and i have some of my friends who to this day will not set foot in Rhapsodys because of the negative experience they had there. Customers deserve good service whether rich or poor, it has nothing to do with "acting rich" coz at the end of the day we all pay for whatever service we get.
Realist

Postby Kabusha » 9th July 2010, 17:58

It's good to see an establishment owner come out in the open and even offer his cell number(I am sure it will be busy soon) to unhappy patrons. Ladies and gentlemen Rome was not built in a day but chances permitting it would have been destroyed in a day. You will agree with me that we have seen establishments come and go because they took patrons for granted.

If you are unhappy with the service go somwhere where your cool cash will be appreciated and soon this will be turned into another finished joint struggling to even pay the guy that does those toilets because believe me, this guys is not feeling the pinch because your patronage is keeping this joint running all the way to the bank so if you feel aggrieved please hit him where it hurts the most, the pocket.

Mr establishement owner what has been suggested is called a 'mystery shopper' this person will provide constructive feedback that will definately provide sufficient MI for you to make a decision and ensure that your tuma waiters are trained in specific weaknesses.

I will not comment on racism because the perpetrator's (waiters) are as native as anyone of us all complaining, unless if they are specifically instructed by their 'bwana' to only serve 'muzungu's' and 'ba bunu's' then 'chifitas' last...
Kabusha

Postby Lady Kim » 10th July 2010, 13:02

With all these complaints from customers about Rhapsody restaurant in Lusaka I think the Livingstone is different.They do not look at someone's colour as long as that person is bringing them money.They make u feel @ home.
Lady Kim

Postby Akulu » 12th July 2010, 10:43

Funny you mention Michangelo in Ndola, I felt quite unconfortable/unwelcome the first time I went there. The service however was however much better on my second visit.
Akulu

Postby Michelle N. » 12th July 2010, 16:25

Thank you Guest..for telling people like Makaveli to grow up!!He talks about pretence simply because we complain about 101??if u know the owner or u work there then fine but dont try to insult people who are just making their complaint known.I didnt dis 101 completely i jus dissed their cocktails..read my complaint properly!!I actually mostly complained about Rhapsody and thats my right!Stop being a jerk makaveli!
Michelle N.

Postby besa » 14th July 2010, 15:26

Dear Roula,

yes get some people to eat there as mystery clients unknown to the waiters once in a whole to access if your waiters are really practising what you have taught them in your ongoing training e.g on customer service, knowledge of prices etc. This should only be known to you who is coming to the restaurant and what day and time but the waiters should only be told they could get a visit at anytime son it is vital to be consistant. This has really worked in restaurants and supermarkets in the developed countries. Please get name tags for your waiters!!! Good Luck!!
besa

Postby menace » 15th July 2010, 17:05

My wife and i went to Rhapsody's with some white friends and the waiter took orders from our friends and not us even though we were sitting at the same table. we left and haven't been back since. Their service is terrible.
menace

Next Page

Return to Eating places (Restaurants, fast-food, etc.)