My wife and I

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

My wife and I

Postby Bushman » 1st March 2013, 22:37

Dear Zambia,

The two of us are on opposing sides of the chicken. The likes the skin off and I like it on. She is the better cook by far so you can guess who always comes out on the losing end of this bitter feud.

She claims the chicken skin is unhealthy. All I’m asking from you my dear DZ friends is a scientific argument to prove to her that her claims are bogus. I cannot stand that skinless chicken so please help me. Please help me put an end to this skinless nonsense.
Bushman

Re: My wife and I

Postby gourmet gonzalas » 2nd March 2013, 13:29

For a more authentic and succulent chicken flavor, you would leave the skin on during cooking.
When you cook a chicken with the skin on it, always start with a high heat so the fat can “fry” the skin (this works with both roasting and frying). You’ll know the fat is working to fry the skin when the skin turns a golden brown. Once you have a nice browned skin and the fat is no longer in a solid form between the skin and the meat, you should turn the heat down and slowly roast the bird at a lower temperature (the lower temperature helps keep the meat from getting unbearably dry).
gourmet gonzalas

Postby Zingane » 3rd March 2013, 22:33

Your wife is right that the skin of the chicken is unhealth if what you are buying is these exotic ones. If it is the village chicken, the skin is a delicace because if is organically grown. Most of the antibiotics/other chemicals used in the poultry industry are easily trapped in the fat layer and may be passed onto you in the food chain. Chronic exposure of such chemicals may manifest into fierce diseases in later days of your life resulting into various forms of dissabilities. You may not experience such health problems now, but much later on. I am sure you have heard of the hypertetions, cancers, strokes, obesity and diabetes. About 70% of these communicable disease are nutritionally related.
Zingane

Postby Zingane » 3rd March 2013, 22:37

Your wife is right that the skin of the chicken is unhealth if what you are buying is these exotic ones. If it is the village chicken, the skin is a delicace because it is organically grown. Most of the antibiotics/other chemicals used in the poultry industry are easily trapped in the fat layer and may be passed onto you in the food chain. Chronic exposure of such chemicals may manifest into fierce diseases in later days of your life resulting into various forms of dissabilities. You may not experience such health problems now, but much later on. I am sure you have heard of the hypertetions, cancers, strokes, obesity and diabetes. About 70% of these non communicable disease are nutritionally related.
Zingane

Postby RudeNudeDude » 4th March 2013, 16:13

Phew!!!!

After reading the your wife and you part plus the mention of skin i jumped the gun and thought the argument was of with or without foreskin.
RudeNudeDude

Postby Bushman » 4th March 2013, 18:23

Dear gourmet gonzalas,
Thanks for that tip. I really appreciate it. One of the few things I have learned in the kitchen is that recipes are never as simple as they seem on paper. And I have enough near-death explosions in the kitchen, under my belt, to back-up my theory.

Dear Zingane,
You are killing me! Unfortunately, ours are not village chicken. I wish they were. Although both my wife and I are health conscious enough to buy as much of “organic” foods as we can. The chicken we buy is usually labeled, “free-range”, “no growth-hormones”, “blah blah, blah”. In any case, I do not need to tell you that you did not help my case against my wife at all. I’m still open to the possibility that she’s right and I’m wrong but the taste of that skin makes my brain refuse to believe that there is anything unhealthy about it.

Dear RudeNudeDude,
Every once in a while, it helps to get your thoughts off sex.
Bushman

Return to Eating places (Restaurants, fast-food, etc.)