Internet for Tablets

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Internet for Tablets

Postby Guest » 21st August 2012, 17:06

Dear Zambia,

I will be visiting Zambia in a few months. What internet options are there for a tablet? I will be using a blackberry playbook and need to be constantly online to sort and manage a few things while am away (I currently use it on my home Wi Fi). I have searched online for internet providers and they all seem very expensive with a slow connection.

Any recommendations will be much appreciated.

Re: Internet for Tablets

Postby Owen » 21st August 2012, 17:13

Guest, don't ask me. I don't know anything about this.
Owen

Postby Guest » 21st August 2012, 19:40

guest don't go on xhamster while in Zambia bazaku manga, just stay strong and no wrist olympics. I know you have an addiction but please find something else to do in your spare time

Postby Kambwili » 21st August 2012, 20:37

Mr. Guest,

I don't think you are following what Mrs. Guest is saying. She wants to be online while in Zambia for nchito, not play. ati ni business che.

And Mrs. Guest also indicated that she is watching her pennies very very carefully so she doesn't want internet providers who are expensive. She wants cheap but fast Internet connection. In Zambia, that's like asking someone to walk on water. It would be a miracle.
Kambwili

Postby Guest » 21st August 2012, 20:45

Ndimwe ba Nyama who want to update your Facebook statuses all the time , ago guest is at portico kanshi muntu Ali ku mutendere . Listen enjoy Zambia and cut yOurself from technology you will appreciate life that way .

Postby Mebo » 21st August 2012, 20:47

Intenet connection in Zambia awe sure mwandi!

Expensive and slow - sums it all up. Guest just do what you can before you leave for Zambia. Its like going back into time once you hit KKI Airport. I was there on holiday and just to get one webpage open, you will wait till your holiday is over ha! Ifyo ifyama tablet is a little too advanced for Zambia, they will get there one day though. Just stick to good old laptop nangu desktop.
Mebo

Postby Guest » 21st August 2012, 20:49

Mebo mulina na setting muntu anyamule desktop ku musana futi

Postby Guest » 21st August 2012, 21:41

I pay a small subscription fee for my current phone line and internet with super fast connection. I saw on one of the website asking for almost £200 a month for what seemed like a slow connection with a small GB allowance to use,I pay £25 a month for unlimited broadband,including free weekend phone calls so it is quiet reasonable to ask if their are any reliable and cheaper options around that are not widely advertised perhaps.

Mebo - what about local mobile networks,would know if they offer internet services? I do not need to download movies,music etc. I run some online shops and need to constantly log in to update customer order status,log in to online banking that kind of thing that's why I thought a tablet would be ideal instead of a big laptpo.

Postby ZedTrader » 21st August 2012, 22:09

Hi, internet on a tab like a playbook is very cheap, get yourself a blackberry phone with 3g and get the blackberry internet subscription for a month for k60,000 which is equivalent to 12 dollars, and you hhave unlimited internet, bridge it to the playbook and your home and dry, with airtel downloads go up to 40-80kbs, with mtn up to 350kbs. I currently sell the playbooks and they are a hot seller here cause of what I stated above.
ZedTrader

Postby Mebo » 21st August 2012, 22:17

First ba Guest mwafula. Is that the only pseudo name available pa DZ?

Secondly I had mobile (Zain) wifi when I went to Zambia. All I can say is that the internet was mighty slow. I mean unbelievably slow. If you are are a regular youtuber - forget it! I never once managed to watch a youtube video. Internet in Zambia is a fairly new thing and the time I was there internet banking was unheard of, I only heard of Xapit but not sure how that worked. My cards were only accepted at Barclays or Stanbic banks. You just need to forget some of these things cos you'll get frustrated 1. at the money you spent on aquiring the wifi or dongle 2. the bad connection, all seem like a waste of time and money.
Mebo

Postby Guest » 21st August 2012, 23:11

Zedtrader
That sounds like a good plan, can't believe I did not think of that! I might as well invest in a blackberry phone. Thanks :)

Mebo
I also do not have patience especially if I am paying for a service and getting a nothing for it, don't know how you kept your cool. I will try the blackberry phone route.

Postby Nichani » 22nd August 2012, 07:16

Enough of the bashing. I am updating using my tablet - and I am in Zambia.

I use a wifi dongle from MTN. The speed right now is 118 Kbps or 0.12 Mbps. That is sufficient for basic tablet or computer browsing. When it's good, it goes up to 2 Mbps.

Internet banking depends on your bank. I have pretty good iBanking from StanChart. So, guest, your best bet is to get a simcard and load it with data bundles - if your tablet allows that or get a cheap blackberry and use its Internet connection as somebody advised.

Internet is still expensive compared to other places and it is also slow, but it is not true that you cannot see a YouTube video or do Internet banking. Thats BS!

Overbashing their countries of origin seems to be the opium of choice for our African friends in the diaspora.
Nichani

Postby Guest » 22nd August 2012, 18:14

I'm still baffled by this 2 Mbps stuff. Do you like start to load a web site and go take a shower and then come back to find it fully loaded? my computer has 100 Mbps. Not to brag or nothing, it's just a fact.

Postby Mebo » 22nd August 2012, 18:40

Ba Nichani, am no talking from without. I visit Zambia and can only say what I've been through. Why would I be bashing a country that I visit every now and then? I have nothing against Zambia just that internet is expensive and slow, which you yourself have acknowledged. U seem to have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to people in the diaspora, why? try to calm down and just help Guest get round this issue. This is the mentality that I was referring to in another thread about 'them and us syndrome'. One Zambia One Nation bane. God bless you and try to have a nice evening!
Mebo

Postby Nzimbe » 22nd August 2012, 19:04

Mebo,
don't sweat too much over the Diaspora haters. They will always be there.

I myself, envy the guys back home but I don't beat up on them. I'm doing quite well here, even better than the average citizen of my adopted land, but I still envy those lucky buggers back home. The food, the language, a comedic clown in state house. I bet many of these guys, any time they choose, they can simply go out and purchase a sugar cane and chew it. I miss such luxuries.
Nzimbe

Postby dot.com » 22nd August 2012, 19:19

Ba Guest...
Nichani said 0.2MB, which I agree is pathetic but 2MB is pretty good, even some areas of industrialized countries (US,UK,France...) don't get that download speed!
"My computer has 100MB..." what the hell are you talking about?? Is your computer a router as well?? If so then you'll probably be the bill gate of the 21st century! Is that simply the speed you're getting right now?
Btw, here is the 2012 average download speed by country
1) S. Korea: 17.6Mbps
2) Japan: 9.1Mbps
3) Hong Kong: 9.1Mbps
4)Netherlands: 8.2Mbps
5)Latvia: 7.8Mbps
6)Switzerland: 7.2Mbps
7)Ireland:6.8Mbps
8)Czech Rep:6.2Mbps
9)Romania:6.2Mbps
10)Denmark:6.1Mbps...
So...unless you're referring to a business internet speed or are "have more money more than common sense" to pay >$/£100/month for your internet....you're simply bragging with your "my computer has 100Mbps" -whatever that means!
dot.com

Postby Guest » 22nd August 2012, 19:24

Guest wrote :
> I'm still baffled by this 2 Mbps stuff. Do you like start to load a web
> site and go take a shower and then come back to find it fully loaded? my
> computer has 100 Mbps. Not to brag or nothing, it's just a fact.

Guys ukazina mushe ati my computer is 100mps ninshi ni computer ya sangma na gazigazi from shaka. Your computer doesn't control the speed of the internet thats down to the providers, the 100mps you are probably mistaking is the data it can handle. Unless you live in south korea where they have the fastest speeds of internet that don't even average that figure then uti shinka butter

Postby Slumdog Shalapungu » 22nd August 2012, 19:33

Last guest was me , forgot to add my trademark
Slumdog Shalapungu

Postby guest** » 22nd August 2012, 19:57

Slum is at it again...

; )
guest**

Postby Guest » 22nd August 2012, 20:11

Professor dot com and Doctor Shalapungu,

Thank you for your kind words. No really, you guys are too, too kind.

Our computers are on Fast Ethernet. Look it up, gentlemen, if you think I'm talking right out of my ass. The data traffic speed is really 100 megabits per second. It is the actual data transfer rate of downloaded content. No shit.

And no, I'm not bragging. I wish I could swing a magic wand and upgrade all of your dinosaurs. But I'm afraid I'm not so lucky as to have such powers. You will have to forgive me.

Next Page

Return to Communication companies (Telephone companies, Internet service providers, etc.)