Anti-Robbery squad & 'punkaling' motorists

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Anti-Robbery squad & 'punkaling' motorists

Postby Feminine » 19th December 2012, 11:56

Dear Zambia,

Anti-robbery squad, C5 or what ever! If they bash you in traffic whilst doing their otherwise appreciated job of chase of criminals, what happens then? They've refused to compensate my friend. Where can we take the matter? Please advise.

P.S She does have insurance but should C5 just get away with bashing people's vehicles???
Feminine

Re: Anti-Robbery squad & 'punkaling' motorists

Postby Umupondo » 19th December 2012, 17:44

Feminine,
Those fools don't play. I had a similar incident happen to me once a couple years ago on independence avenue and church road. I was heading into town and the C5 chaps where racing down towards the high court round about. It was morning rush hour so you know what that means. I had to have been rushing to some "emergency" or something - I could careless. But the scene they caused with cars trying to get out of their way was chaotic. I was almost hit by one of them as there was not enough room fro me to move my car. I hit that curb pretty hard and messed up my cars' suspenssion. Either that or I would've more than likely been in a nasty head-on collision. I saw that happening. God spared me that day.
Point is, these guys have the liberty to drive as fast as they possibily can, provided they can get around without putting the public at risk. They have no regard for other motorists and tend to be overly excited sometimes, like little kids with brand new toys. Truth is, they are part of the government's "criminal investigative wings" or whatever...much like what happens with presidential or foreign dignitaries motorcades. You are supposed to yield or give way as it were - within reason ofcourse. For the most part, you just have to use your common sense as a driver and do what is reasonably right to allow them to get through.
If your friend wasn't in the wrong, perhaps engaging a good lawyer will help. Otherwise her insurance should cover her; it's a not-at-fault accident!
Umupondo

Postby Feminine » 20th December 2012, 11:00

We mupondo, mwe ba pondo, LOL!

Thanks, man....albeit sad here... And you know I had a similar incident like yours in Woodlands just past Pick n Pay toward the stadium. C5 were coming the opposite direction at 19hours, and I had to give way but there was a ditch on my side so I had no room to manouver, I went quarter way into the ditch, and car askew. I was not impressed, months later I'm still very angry! I still want to swear at them. Are helicopters chases not feasible? We don't have skyscrapers in this Country.

Save us please?
Feminine

Postby april » 20th December 2012, 13:33

i now get it so they are called C5 i didnt know i dont give them way no wonder they were pointing at me...kekekeke
april

Postby Umupondo » 20th December 2012, 18:10

Ba Feminine,

These chaps can be a nuisance and be down right rude and there's not a damn thing you can do about it either. Boma ni boma. You asked about helicopter chases? You also, where is the fuel going to come from? Those things will just be running out of gas and crashing every month...killing innocent motorists and jay-walkers. That is a very serious concern by the way. LOL.

@April - yes C5 AKA, flying sqaud. I guess coz they have to fly (speed) everywhere they go hahaha. Please, whatever you do don't disobey them...give them way EVERY single time. Bakakulopola fye one day...they don't give a shit if you're a woman. They literally enjoy slapping people around and from my experience, it's quite demeaning! Many people wonder as well, but when they just point at you if you're in the wrong, it's to warn you. It simply means, they know you're wrong but they have no time to stop and discipline you at that very moment. In other words, that pointing means..."next time ti za kakushapula, swine iwe". Please, take my advice seriously dear April. Those guys love to indulge disobidient citizens in the most degrading way possible. I'd hate to drive passed you and witness the instant punishment you'd recieve.
Just pull over next time!
Umupondo

Postby Bola » 20th December 2012, 19:09

These are untouchables. Do not even think about them. Just avoid them if you can. You can never ever claim or lay a charge on them.
One night a couple years ago a police officer committed a serious accident along Kafue road. He was so drunk I could not even overtake him because he was moving in zigzag formation at about 21:00hrs. He was seriously drunk like a fish but on a wheel. He kept going at a great speed and oncoming motorists kept avoiding him but he went to hit into a coming Rosa minibus while I was following at a safe speed. Both vehicles were badly damaged and this officer had a serious injury. When I went to testify his fellow officers told me that he would lose his benefits and so they would not take my story. I was scoffed at and they made funny jokes on me.

So talking about police may not be easy!
Bola

Postby Guest » 21st December 2012, 03:19

As far as I know, motorists around the world are supposed to give way to service and emergency vehicles ie police cars, fire trucks and ambulances. I have seen cars mounting curbs and practically park on pavements to get of the way of a siren blaring vehicle in other countries. In some countries if there is a police chase going on and police officers lose a car, they have the right to take an ordinary citizens car for the purpose of that police chase. They compensate for any damage and inconvenience of course.

Maybe lodge complaints on the damage compensation side of things but do not complain about giving way to these officers who are most likely rushing to the scene of a live crime. You will be the same ones coming back here to complain how it takes so long to get a police/C5 response when you expect them to give you way and time as you drive with baby gloves.

Postby Umupondo » 21st December 2012, 16:03

Ba Guest,
you are right, though in Zed it may be a slightly different case altogether. Reason being, I for one have actually witnessed these so-called C5 or flying squad guys speeding through a densely populated residential dwelling with no sirens just horns blarring intermittently. Now, you and I both know that any crazed chap can get behind the wheel and hit the pedal at high speeds in any car at any time.
So, it can get a bit tricky to discern who's behind the wheel in order for you to give way thus avoid getting hit. In this instant, I actaully thought it was a bunch of armed bandits who were from or going to armbush someone as the 3 toyota vans were actually unmarked. It wasn't until I saw 'police' printed on the backs of 2 of those chaps' jackets as they sped through. But then again, theives/robbers/bandits have been known to pose as police or wear army gear. Am just saying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The point to take home here is, just get out of their way for your own safety anyway.
Umupondo

Postby dumbfounded » 5th February 2016, 18:04

Given the amount of thievery going on in Zambia one would never guess that there is an Anti-Robbery squad ka.
dumbfounded

Return to Government (Ministries, Police, Departments, Offices)