Racism at Jolly Boys Backpackers In Livingstone

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Re: Racism at Jolly Boys Backpackers In Livingstone

Postby Elie Wiesel » 10th September 2010, 13:01

No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them.
Elie Wiesel
Elie Wiesel

Postby Chisha Dauti » 10th September 2010, 13:07

The UN does not define "racism", however it does define "racial discrimination": according to the United Nations Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination,
the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.
Racial discrimination is treating people differently through a process of social division into categories not necessarily related to races.
Chisha Dauti

Postby Institutional Racism » 10th September 2010, 13:14

The term "institutional racism" describes societal patterns that have the net effect of imposing oppressive or otherwise negative conditions against identifiable groups on the basis of race or ethnicity.
Contemporary Relevance:

In the United States, institutional racism results from the social caste system that sustained, and was sustained by, slavery and racial segregation. Although the laws that enforced this caste system are no longer in place, its basic structure still stands to this day. This structure may gradually fall apart on its own over a period of generations, but activism is necessary to expedite the process and provide for a more equitable society in the interim.Also Known As: societal racism, cultural racism
Examples:
Opposing public school funding is not necessarily an act of individual racism; one can certainly oppose public school funding for valid, non-racist reasons. But to the extent that opposing public school funding has a disproportionate and detrimental effect on minority youth, it furthers the agenda of institutional racism.
Most other positions contrary to the civil rights agenda--opposition to affirmative action, support for racial profiling, and so forth--also have the (often unintended) effect of sustaining institutional racism.
Institutional Racism

Postby Francis Duggan » 13th September 2010, 09:19

In the Human World it does not belong
We do not need racism since it is so wrong
The racists in their ways are so very small
To have them amongst us a blight on us all.

Since red is the blood we are born with to bleed
The racists amongst us we surely don't need
The scourge of racism is a human disgrace
For it in the Human World there ought not to be a place.

Racism is the source of serious crimes against humanity
Without racists so much better off we all would be
The torch of hatred of difference they set to flame
To have them amongst us is to all of our shame.

To war and to conflicts racism does lead
Without it the Human World would be better indeed
The racists amongst us to us all a put down
They never bring honour to their side of the town.

Francis Duggan
Francis Duggan

Postby Natasha McGee » 13th September 2010, 09:21

I think of times when my parents use to say They have to pick cotton in the field each and every day They would tell me how it made them feel To know how race in the south back some years They speak of the injust and to be thought of as slaves When they would do their best to make it through another day My mom would say the temps would be in the 90 degrees And they would take short breaks sometimes just to eat I wonder to myself how could they go on To know God's Grace help them with a song I tried to imagine how things use to be To be considered less than dirty by the majority Know I know the feelings they must have endured To be abused and mistreated and still struggled through To know their race had to played a huge part In segregation, racism and hateful things from the start I faced just those not those so simple things I thought it can't been happeing till I heard Let Freedom Ring I think to myself how can this be No justice, No freedom, No democracy I see people of my own race Disgrace me with their participation and events that take place I use to think I'm black and I'm proud Until I look around and seen the crowd I see people of my own race Not white, but black participate Racism was a way to unleash one's fear Not to let blacks have a say or any tears I see people of my own race To engage in injustice and slave mentality in my face They seem to forget where slaves had to endure Lynching, hanging and being abused I think to myself they choose not to see What happen to slaves, continues to be One can look the other way and pretend not to see Racism, injustice and inhumanity I see people of my own race I feel sadness, heartbroken and disgrace I know my words may seem not the case But when you look in Mirror what do you say I'm not a Racist, that's what I see But far from the truth for you and for me Maybe, one day blacks will come to see Racism didn't start in the black community It started when slavery took away your name No fame, No fortune and others were to blame I think of the feeling I have today A Black woman against Racism and Slave mentality everyday Only with time can Racism heal No matter how hard you fight on the battlefied It's a word that means fear against one's race I already know what has taken place A great man once said 'Let Freedom Ring' Back when all slaves could do was sing So I keep in my heart a solemn prayer Let freedom Ring everywhere Natasha McGee
Natasha McGee

Postby Clifford » 13th September 2010, 09:25

Racism denotes prejudice, oppression and atrocities against a certain sect or group of people by other class of people. It exists in many forms throughout the world and is a big blot on the humanitarian cause, the foundation of a global harmonious society. The basis of this difference is largely the color of the skin, viz racism against blacks people. African Americans, who form a significant part of the American population were, and in some sporadic cases, are subjected to tremendous discrimination. The Civil War fought in America was partly a movement to stand up to this oppressive system but sadly racism continued to cast a gloomy shadow over the development of the American nation.

The African American Slavery
The Europeans, who settled in America in the early 1600s brought along the African black population, whom they had enslaved. Slowly, as the white population settled and flourished in America, slavery rooted itself in the US. The period from 1619 to 1865, especially witnessed a tremendously racist America grossly harassing the African American populace. After the Civil War, one draconian law after the other was drafted by the government which severely prejudiced the black community. It was a sort of wicked competition amongst the states to inflicting misery against their own population. Massachusetts state legalized slavery in 1641 and was the first to do so in America. The latter half of the 18th century witnessed a big upheaval in America, against the British. The issues of human rights and independence began to gain ground and to hamper the British policies, a lot of civil rights for the African Americans were considered. Many were even freed but the status of the blacks never improved, especially once the Americans gained an upper hand in their quest for independence.

The attacks against the black community and even on the whites, who were associated with their cause increased, towards the end of the 19th century. Since the elections of 1868, the Democrats who openly advocated prejudice against the blacks, used violence, corruption and intimidation to stop them from voting. Similarly, the Ku Klux Klan, founded in 1867, as a secret organization terrorized the African Americans and the black population at large. The group indulged in brutally murdering the black community and anyone socially advocating their cause. In the Southern states, the Colfax and Coushatta massacres in 1873 and 1874 were just some of the many brutal assaults launched against the African Americans. For every 3 whites killed in the fight, 40-50 blacks were killed. This was the real situation, but one which was suppressed and in fact popularized as atrocities against whites, until the 20th century when historians finally unearthed the true story.

Agony and Relief
The period from 1890 to 1940 is known as the Jim Crow era in the history of prejudice against the African Americans. The Jim Crow laws were a series of state and national laws, enacted in the United States that segregated all the public facilities for the whites and the blacks. Millions of African Americans were brutalized, killed and frightened to death for voting and taking formal education, during these years. The concept of 'lynching', where the whites openly 'punished' the black population, was a rampant practice. White people would publicly hang black people for petty reasons, all over the country. The 'America's Black Holocaust Museum' in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, has a collection of photographs and other evidences of the plight of African American populace, over the years. The first half of the 20th century also witnessed mass migration of the African American population from the disturbed Southern states to the North and the mid-west. The search for a better and a peaceful lifestyle, compelled millions to take this migratory step.
Many African Americans fought for the US cause in World war I and World War II. Their exemplary service led to the desegregation of the US Armed Forces in July, 1948.

The African American cause received great fillip during the American Civil Rights Movement which culminated with the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which banned discrimination in employment, labor unions and public accommodations. It was at the threshold of this movement, that Martin Luther King Junior delivered his famous 'I Have a Dream' speech from the steps of the grand Lincoln Memorial. Political and economic rights were soon granted to the blacks. In 2000, there were 8,936 black office holders in the United States. According to Forbes magazine, Oprah Winfrey was the richest African American of the 20th century.

Perhaps the greatest achievement in the history of African American stand for justice was the rise of Barack Obama, the first black presidential nominee, of the Democratic Party. He went on to become the first African American man to win the most coveted office seat in the world. Barack Hussein Obama is now the 44th President of United States of America. The tears that trickled down the face of many African Americans, at his swearing-in ceremony, perhaps, signify the joy of victory against racism which has hopefully ended once and for all!

By Prashant Magar
Clifford

Postby Alisha Crowes- New Orleans » 13th September 2010, 09:29

The word nigger has as much power over me as some benign word such as boy. It is not the word that is the problem. The problem is the sentiment behind the word.

White people profess to have no idea why black people would probably accept the word nigger from another black person but would get angry at being referred to as a nigger by white people. Yet, if I were to be pulled over by a police officer and called him boy, a term of endearment if it came from his parents, I’m sure my opportunity for a favorable outcome would be negatively impacted considerably. Why would a police officer take offense to being called boy? Obviously, the cop would interpret this black man calling him boy as a challenge to his authority and, possibly, his manhood. In the language of certain people the word boy can be interpreted as an attempt to demean, dominate, and humiliate. For many people it is possible and understandable for a police officer to take offense of something so benign as the word boy in just an instant why would it be difficult for people to understand why black people would take offense to white people using the word nigger when the word has been used for centuries as a derogatory tool for the humiliation and denigration of the black race?

The white community has a tendency to choose not to understand the black experience or apply the same consideration to the black community that they would give to each other. They claim to be obtuse to the insults they are constantly making against the black community. And since there are so many black people who are super quick to dismiss any offenses made by white people and come to their defense at the drop of any hat the opportunity for the black community to actually educate the white community and give clear guidance for proper racial etiquette in such a confusing topic becomes lost in a forgiving cloud of tolerance of their indifference. There are a number of instances for that support my supposition:

When Don Imus made his disparaging comments about the Rutgers University women’s basketball team on his television show the black community responded by demanding his removal. Initially the black community was rebuffed as nothing more than the latest nuisance by people with little influence on corporate America. But when black people started to use a strategy with economic repercussions for the sponsors Mr. Imus’ show was cancelled. Stanley Crouch and Jason Whitlock popped out of the woodwork to focus their criticism of the black community for ignoring the language of rappers but coming down hard on poor Mr. Imus.

When Wolf Blitzer was doing one particular episode of the Situation Room during hurricane Katrina the contributing reporter was making a remark on how poor people were unable to evacuate the city. The corresponding video showed an image of black people wading through chest high water. The reporter talked about the poverty of the people left behind. Mr. Blitzer had to add his two cents and made a comment on how the people were so very black. Mr. Blitzer’s comment was inappropriate and unnecessary. Mr. Blitzer has never made a comment about how somebody in a news article was so very white. But Mr. Blitzer thinks it’s unfair that the black community reacts to what he said of the blackness of the people in the article. Mr. Blitzer defends his lack of discretion by saying something that continues his contempt by saying, “Well gee, I don’t know what to call black people now.” So much for all this bull about a colorblind society.

It is not the words that hurt. It is not the word that is offensive. It is the intent of the people using the word. The idea of a white person using the word nigger or even the word boy is offensive. The long history of white people using these words and many others in an attempt to demean the black man and to injure his masculinity is not easily forgotten with just a lame confession of racial ignorance. Mr. Blitzer knows exactly what he thinks of black people and just happened to slip out one day. Mr. Imus can claim that he didn’t know black people get offended at having our women referred to as nappy headed whores. He’s heard too many gangsta rap songs that gave him the wrong impression. But the millionaire radio talk show personality is far from being the impressionable neophyte who made an honest mistake. Don Imus made a conscious choice to be racially offensive to black people that particular day.

And lastly, and sadly, when the racially offensive white person garners too much public attention for their racial transgressions, they can quickly find a flaccid black person who is all too willing to advise other black people to look the other way and to not react to what we may hear. Words have no power. The only power that words have is the power we give them. Many high profile blacks do much to defuse an opportunity for the white corporate community to learn to take the black community more seriously and simply give white people carte blanche to do and say whatever.

Bill O’Reilly can say so much about how he visited a black restaurant and was so impressed that black people behave no differently than white people and Juan Williams wants to give him a pass because Mr. O’Reilly was trying to pay black people a compliment. With so many black people giving so many flippant white people an excuse for the small opinion of black people white people have no incentive to treat African Americans with the same respect the bestow each other.

It is not the words they use. Whether or not the word is boy or the word is nigger isn’t even close to being the issue. Whatever words are chosen the people need to remember that the words are just another tool white people use to show the black community just how little they think of us.
Alisha Crowes- New Orleans

Postby Habib » 13th September 2010, 09:31

At first I was shocked at your use of well, the N word.

Coming from an Arab who spent a good deal of time at Jolly Boys, I think I understand where are you coming from. However, I cannot understand where a racist person would come from. I don’t know whether it is arrogance or ignorance. I don’t know whether it is ridicule or downright hate. But I do know that color means much more than what it may seem on the outside, and these meanings make all the difference sometimes.

What truly pains me, is that it is not only Blacks that need to endure with such discrimination and racism, but it also extends to include practically anybody who is not white. And it is not only exclusive to the Jolly Boys, but you may well find the same scenarios at Chachacha Backpackers in Lusaka. To be honest, if it’s not discrimination against blacks, it will be something else. It would be gays. If it is not against gays, it will be against women, and so forth. I’ve come to terms with the fact that prejudice, racism and discrimination will always find their way in people’s hearts and minds. Somebody stronger (or somebody who may be deluded to think that they are stronger) will try to belittle somebody weaker. It’s always been that way.
Habib

Postby Karen Mills » 13th September 2010, 09:33

Thanks for the feedback Pheras,

I have to admit that you are most correct. People have a need to feel superior and people cannot feel superior until they are able to separate themselves from others. In fact, if black people were free of white people we would probably take steps to segregate ourselves based on superficial differences such as blacks with kinky hair and blacks with straighter hair, light skinned blacks and dark skinned blacks, fat blacks and skinny blacks, blacks from the east side and blacks from the west side. The number of differences we could glom on to are infinite as long as there is another person for comparison.

But these are all hypothetical cases and what ifs. The reality is that the white dominate culture is subjugating other cultures like the black culture here in Zambia. We could spend a lifetime studying all the manifestations of corporate Zambia's subjugation. However, this blog isn’t intended for such a wide scope. This blog is intended to give people some kind of idea of why black people are in their subjugated role and try to cause somebody to pause and think about why these things are the way they are.
Peace
Karen Mills

Postby Umuntu » 13th September 2010, 09:43

What has history of African American racism got to do with us in Zambia? Nothing. We were never lynched.
Umuntu

Postby CHANSA MULALAMI » 13th September 2010, 09:48

Kini deportation: Lession to racist foreigners.

GOVERNMENT’S deportation of Gamma Pharmaceuticals Ndola manager A K Kini last Saturday for making racial statements against his employees must be given a thumbs-up by all Zambians.

It is about time we as a nation re-discovered our self-worth and dealt firmly with those who think they can abuse our friendliness.

Kini, who is of Asian origin, reportedly sent an e-mail to a friend in India in which he said he was supervising Zambians who had no brains.

Dated July 21, 2001, the e -mail read in part: “ I have four production managers and under them, one or two supervisors (non technical) are there. Except me and boss, all are Zambians in production.

“They are lazy and do not apply their brains (whatever little they have ). So it is tough to bring systems.”
These colour-stinging words were enough to finger the trigger of justice and Home Affairs Permanent Secretary Peter Mumba has finally managed to fire the last shell into the matter.

Kini was put aboard a Kenya Airways plane en route to India on Saturday at 09.00hrs.

Since the day he was exposed two years ago, Kini had tried to elude the long arm of the law, postponing previous deportation orders.

According to Mr Mumba, Kini was out of the country when the first deportation order against him was effected but later sneaked back into Zambia.

Thinking he was invisible, Kini continued to work until some people tipped the ministry about his presence last week on Wednesday.

Mr Mumba then sent officers from the ministry to Ndola where Kini was picked up and subsequently deported.

The permanent secretary said that the deportation should serve as a warning to all foreigners working in Zambia to stop insulting local employees who had accepted them into the country.

That indigenous Zambians should continue to tolerate verbal and mental abuse is an issue worth unmasking.

For too long now, Zambia’s open-door policy which has readily accommodated nationalities of all shades, has been abused and confused with inferiority or a lack of self identity.

Thanks to a long hard spell under the grip of colonialism, it seems the element of servility is still deeply entrenched in the mindset of the average Zambian.

The appearance of even the most obscure of foreign personalities sends shivers down the indigenous spine and has it quaking in servanthood!

Have we not seen many soccer fans calling for the replacement of a local coach at the expense of a foreign one?

This is against the background that foreign coaches are technically superior than our own local coaches.

This is also evidenced in some of our best talent in soccer shunning our African leagues for less competitive ones like those in South East Asia.

Even more, we have witnessed how excited some people become when a foreign musician is coming-in to perform and yet, when it is a local artiste, they pretend as though nothing is happening in the city.

Not that there is anything wrong with working under the supervision of foreigners, but there has existed a long series of abuse from some of them.

Remember the days when white miners on the Copperbelt would refer to their black employees as monkeys who had to get to the hospital to get their tails cut?

Remember also how indigenous Zambians were forced to buy what was called “boy’s meat” through pigeon hole windows during the sadistic reign of colonialism?
And hey, they even had the audacity to call black servants “boy” regardless of age.

If it wasn’t for militant torch bearers like first Republican president Dr Kenneth Kaunda and his host of comrades who dared the system by, for instance, demanding for the whole fridge of meat through the same windows, black Zambians would still be lining up like termites in their own country.

But though colonialism seemed to have been killed and buried when Zambia attained independence in October 1964, its brainchild by the name of “Racism” lives on today.

Its physiology can be seen in e -mails like the one from Kini, a surgeon of sorts, no doubt, who could scan the head of an African and conclude that it had no brain!

Though the fight against racism can not be confined to Zambia or Africa alone, it will best be won on local frontiers.

With due respect to all the global efforts being made, such as the World Conference on Racism to fight this demeaning scourge, it is only local political will that will totally obliterate it.

And if the Zambian Government’s deportation of Kini is anything to go by, we may finally be on the right track on our journey to securing the rights and dignity of indigenous people.

Even in the face of globalisation which has reduced the globe into the size of a golf ball, let foreigners respect the rights of other nationalities, especially those that entertain them and treat them like angels.

Failure to do this will only inflate the number of deportees who fail to fulfill their missions in foreign lands.
CHANSA MULALAMI

Postby Statement by Githu Muigai » 13th September 2010, 09:53

Statement by Mr. Githu Muigai, Special Rapporteur on contemporary forms of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance at the occasion of the International Day on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, 19 March 2010

Madame High Commissioner, Excellencies, Ladies and Gentleman,

I am very pleased and honored to be herewith you today to commemorate the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination. Almost one year after the holding of the Durban Review Conference, this event reminds us about the dire need to pursue our collective efforts in the fight against racism. It also provides us with an opportunity to pay tribute to all the individuals who have suffered from racism or who continue to suffer from it on a daily basis in all regions of the world. Fighting racism requires enacting anti-discrimination laws. But that is far from being enough.

Overcoming racism also requires addressing public and private attitudes which comfort, justify and perpetuate racism at all levels and in all areas of life. To that effect, approaches which have the ability to get the message across in a simple and powerful manner are more than ever necessary to encourage as many people as possible to engage in this fight. In this year marked by mass sports events, such as the Olympic Games, the Football World Cup or the Commonwealth Games, which are followed by a very large and diverse public audience, I believe that promoting the message of tolerance and non-discrimination through sport may well constitute one of the approaches needed.

Excellencies,

As recognized by the General Assembly, sport has the potential to contribute to an atmosphere of tolerance and understanding. While relying on the concepts of competition and rivalry, sport also stands for human values such as respect, justice, universality, cooperation and solidarity. By bringing together individuals from a great variety of horizons, sport is an inspirational means to promote peace, social cohesion, integration, inclusivity, as well as diversity. And by its very nature, sport is about participation: every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind.

Thus, as recalled in the draft resolution on “a world of sports free from racism and discrimination” sponsored by Brazil and South Africa, one needs to recognize the potential of sport as a means to combat racism and discrimination. Indeed, similarly to schools, which are one of the most efficient tools to create a cohesive and tolerant society, sport – and in particular team sport – also is an effective means where both youth and adults may learn and experience for themselves, how individuals from diverse ethnic, national or religious backgrounds can interact in a harmonious manner.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

On a wider scale, mass sport events also offer valuable outreach platforms to mobilize people and to convey crucial messages about equality and non-discrimination. In this regard, I would like to welcome the fact that in their respective charters or statutes, the International Olympic Committee, the Fédération Internationale de Fooball Association (FIFA) and the Commonwealth Games Federation, have all inscribed quite prominently that there shall be no discrimination of any kind on the grounds of race, religion, politics, gender or otherwise. Moreover, public campaigns such as the one entitled “Say no to racism” by the FIFA should be encouraged and supported by all means. Due to football’s popularity and influence in society, I believe that such campaigns are extremely effective in order to raise awareness and sensitize individuals from diverse geographical and cultural horizons to the long-lasting problems of racism and discrimination. I have also been very impressed by the potential federative impact of the Olympic Games on the population of the organizing country. As such, the opening ceremony of the recent Olympic Games was quite symbolic; looking back at its history and origins, Canada put forward the role played by its indigenous peoples by organizing an unprecedented dance performance of more than 300 young First Nations, Inuit and Métis.

This being said, one should have in mind that sport does not and cannot constitute a cure-all for racism and discrimination. As a reflection of the society from which it originates, sport also has its shortcomings and contradictions. Indeed, we all have seen the negative side-effects of sport, such as violence, discrimination and aggressive nationalism. For instance, we would recall that a year ago, football supporters uttered racist insults against Mario Balotelli, an Italian football player of Ghanaian origin. We would also recall the racial slurs that surrounded the 2008 campaign for the Football Association of Zambia presidency, when Hanif Adams, a Zambian man of Indian origin, ran for presidency. Examples of racism and discrimination within the world of sport are unfortunately quite numerous, therefore indicating that additional efforts are needed to eradicate racism and discrimination wherever they manifest themselves. Valuable initiatives have been taken in this regard and I would like here to refer to the general policy recommendation on combating racism and racial discrimination in the field of sport by the European Commission against Racism and Intolerance which provides very concrete tools for all stakeholders.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The fight against racism is as relevant today as it has ever been in the past. As a global problem affecting all areas of life, let us ensure that we make use of every single tool at our disposal to fight this scourge. To that effect, let us take advantage of mass sport events such as the upcoming Football World Cup and the Commonwealth Games to demonstrate and convince everyone that integration, tolerance, mutual respect and diversity are real assets that may lead a team to victory.

I thank you for your attention.
Statement by Githu Muigai

Postby Banner » 11th October 2010, 21:31

I totaly agree wit karen,its a pity i saw this leter lately,
to show that im not talking from without but from within i would like to let you know that im a livingstone resident and a victim of racism at this guest house, n 4 that i aint hapy bout n wud probably urge y'all to try 'the rite inn'
Banner

Postby Grave digger » 11th October 2010, 21:39

I am still bewildered as to how racism against Black Zambians can be so prevalent in this land.

Didn't we win our Independence from the racists? Didn't we take back our land? Doesn't it stand to logic that if a racist is found he should be slaughtered? What's the problem? If we adopted this simply policy from day one, all racists in this land would have been subdued into abandoning their racism by now.
Grave digger

Postby Chela » 12th October 2010, 15:50

I can see a whole bunch of rhetoric on this thread and not much suggested action. Something needs to be done. Now. At this very moment. There is no way any self respecting Zambian can stand for such bull cr*p in our own country, not after what my grandfather and several other brave men and women shed their life blood to guarantee our independence. I think we need a new thread to protest against Jolly Boys on this forum urging the government via National Tourism Board to shut that establishment NOW.
Chela

Postby Sampa » 12th October 2010, 20:39

Why bother. I just live my life and avoid such places. I wouldn't take part in any movement to punish them, except by not giving them my hard earned kwacha.
Sampa

Postby 12th October 2010, 21:23 » 12th October 2010, 21:23

Sampa, now you are talking. Let them suffer a slow, agonizing death. Like the gangsters like to say, don't get mad, just get even.

A boycott is a war of attrition.

Like yet another gangster saying goes, give a fool a rope and he will hang himself. That's how you do it with these racist pigs.
12th October 2010, 21:23

Postby chela » 13th October 2010, 09:06

@ Sampa,
I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this my brotha but places such as Jolly Boys are not frequented by locals such as you and I. When taking a vacation in Livingstone most Zambians would opt for staying at either a Lodge/ Guest house, hotel, Game reserves (for the camping enthusiasts) or with relatives and friends. Jolly Boys caters for backpackers and the majority of these are caucasian tourists from either within Zambia or abroad. They dont make their money from us indigenous folks so it wouldn't make a dent in their finances if you and i kept away (because frankly, we wouldn't be caught dead in a joint like that anyway!)

The saliant point of a protest (and i dont mean a bunch of people coming together at their gates wielding placards chanting at the top of our lungs) is to let them know that any type of racism in OUR COUNTRY WILL NOT BE TOLERATED, NOT IN THE LEAST. Imagine if word got around that Zambia tolerated (submissively i might add) racists? It would become a veritable mecca for all the Hitlers of this world. The idea is for government to nip this sort of bull s**t in the bud before more places like this open
chela

Postby 13th October 2010, 18:31 » 13th October 2010, 18:31

Chela,

I like Sampa's point becuase it suggests that if all of us Black Zambians refused to do business with a known racist establishment, they will be forced to go out of business. Kill them silently. As far as I am concerned, that is a good solution to this problem. No muss, no fuss. Easy does it.

Of course, if you don't like the easy way, you can choose bloodshed. That too, is an option.
13th October 2010, 18:31

Postby kalale » 20th October 2010, 13:04

dear zambia,
new stuff.am told the owners of jolly boys bp can actually organiser a commercial sex worker for their clients and not only that but am told people have had a situation.......women desperatly in need of cash have had it with dogs.c'mon people!!!

am so disgusted.
kalale

Previous Page Next Page

Return to Hospitality (Hotels, lodges, motels, bush camps, etc.)