Racism at Jolly Boys Backpackers In Livingstone

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Re: Racism at Jolly Boys Backpackers In Livingstone

Postby Papanikolas » 20th October 2010, 18:31

Kalale, the only thing more disgusting than what you are describing is you bringing it here to this polite company of Dear Zambia.

Some things, especially where there are no innocent victims, are better left in those dark back alleys where they belong.
Papanikolas

Postby Anon » 21st October 2010, 06:23

I stayed at Jolly Boys a few weeks ago and this is no surprise. Many hostels in South Africa, Namibia, and elsewhere in Southern Africa won't accept "local"residents i.e. blacks. Of course, you go anywhere and you'll see plenty of white South Africans staying in these hostels, but rarely will you meet blacks. It is bullshit, but that is the mentality in this part of the world. They just want to cater to whites and want to create an environment where whites feel comfortable. It is absurd since whites should WANT to meet blacks if they are traveling in AFRICA of all places. Im non white and there was a hostel in Nambia that said it was full even though Im pretty sure they had vacancies. I later heard that this hostel is known to turn away non-whites. This is one reason I have no interest in returning to southern Africa. There is too much BS racism that's in your face.
Anon

Postby Hardknock » 21st October 2010, 07:09

Anon

I am as Black as you. I suppose. So don't get any wild ideas.

This allegation you are making, do you think it is economics or race?

Maybe these joints are used to "whites" paying their bills and "Blacks" skipping out at 04:30 in the morning. Maybe these "Blacks" are not criminals but poor bastards who wanted to experience one night in a nice hotel before they die. Maybe this is all a big misunderstanding.

Okay jokes aside, this cannot be happening in a Blackman's land. Where are the descendants of Shaka the Zulu to slash these racist bastards' throats?
Hardknock

Postby kalale » 21st October 2010, 11:57

sorry bout that papanicolas.will have to change the way i bring it up
kalale

Postby bee » 12th December 2010, 21:35

Phew!! Thanx a million for posting this. I am from Botswana and considering booking in a hostel (ALONE) this christmas, and jolly boys looked VERY appealing, any advice on which i should consider that would welcome (not just tolerate) a black PAYING african customer?
bee

Postby guest » 13th December 2010, 16:04

Bee

Try Chanters lodge in Livingstone,great food, great environment and the owner is a joy. You will go back again and again.

Postby zee » 14th December 2010, 10:35

it is a shame, that there are people out there who use skin color as basis on how to relate to other people. i am an African and welcome any one from any where in the world to come and enjoy my beautiful country, but when those people come and treat my people lesser than other humans i feel they should leave and let us be in peace, we treat them with respect and dignity, as all humans should be! this is a serious matter that needs to be addressed as i fear this might just be the tip of an iceberg!!!!!
zee

Postby David » 14th December 2010, 11:20

It is a shame with what is happening at Jolly Boys Backpackers.

There used to be a place (restaurant/bar) in Kitwe can't remember the name though, it was a all whites place but this was not made obvious. What used to happen is that they would over price on all items for a non white customer and the look a non white customer would receive from the white patrons would tell you that you are not welcome in this place.

The over pricing was deliberate and it was done so that non whites could not stay at the joint and if they stayed then at least they pay more for their stay.

Fortunately the authorities that be got wind of this arrangement and moved in to eradicate this racist arrangement.

Racism is a sickness of someone's mind .

A joke a came across were someone typed in Google search engine : White man wanted,stole a car at gun point after pressing enter the Google search result : Did you mean Black man wanted,stole a car at gun point? ......
David

Postby TJ » 15th December 2010, 16:27

Its always sad to hear racism still exits in my own country, zambia, especially Livingstone. I will be returning back to my home town, livingstone in the first week of January, 2011 and to be honest i have always wished to spends some weekends in atleats most backpackers and other new joint that livingstone has to offer, above the list was jolly boys. Now i am sick to my stomach that even in my own rightfly-zambialand i shall be treated like a second class. Its time we did something about this intimadation and abuse. LETS WAKE UP AND TRASH THE GONE TIMES WITH IT RACISM.
TJ

Postby Atlantis » 16th December 2010, 11:14

If there are any racists out there, black or white, your excuse for race issues is merely a caves man's survival strategy. you belong to the Neanderthal era. grow up!
Atlantis

Postby Concerned Citizenb » 29th December 2010, 21:12

Unfortunately, racism in Livingstone is real and am not sure why the respective authorises do not take a stance! I have had encounters with people that think they are superior than the native Zambians, and found it absolutely appalling! No man or colour is greater than the other; we are all God's creation and in His eyes we are all equal!
If these people can't stand Black people, why are they here? I honestly think its time for the Zambian government to wake up and start taking stern measures to the undesirables!
I fortunately enough had the priviledge to have two encounters with individuals that thought they could execrise their superiority on me and they were put in place! We need to stand up to anyone that thinks they can kick us around like animals and report them to the authorities!
Zambia is a very peaceful nation and we are very nice humble people, we do not need such attitudes disturbing our peace!
RACISM IS REAL IN LIVINGSTONE, YOU ONLY HAVE TO SNIFF IT!!
Concerned Citizenb

Postby Manase » 29th December 2010, 21:19

Concerned Citizenb

I agree with you that all humans are equal. You seem to be very level headed in all your points and that is why I am shocked to note that for some strange reason you think God is a He. God is a She, please let's not lose sight of this fact.

Another point of concern to me is that you are bringing up a very important topic of racism in Zambia but have chosen to attach this topic to a shoddy joint like Jolly Boys. Why can't you come up with a more reputable place? Most decent Zambians don't really care what goes on at places with questionable social value like Jolly Boys.
Manase

Postby Katie » 2nd January 2011, 16:48

I was staying at Jollyboys over the holidays this year and there were people of every colour and nationality there (including many Zambians) so I don't know what this conversation is concerned about. It certainly isn't something that I saw or noticed during the week I spent there.
Katie

Postby milton » 3rd January 2011, 16:03

Yes the racism they are talking about is very real in livingstone, most of the whites there still think its 1964, from spending most of the time in the bush, they have to wake up to reality, i have been a subject of this treatment were i had to pay 90 pin for nshima and chicken boiled for that mater, so just that you dont return, its clear even from the locals that they are very scared to go to these places, am sure most of them must be the ones running away from South Africa were they have been put in there place unlike us Zambians still liking there boots in SA a company totally owned by muzungu with muzungu employees only will not get a contract or business from the goverment, the more number of blacks you have as employees the more chances to get a contract from the goverment, there has been stories of bars closing only when the last muzungu leaves its crazy we need to something about it maybe indicate in the tourism guides the non friendly black places so that they learn, also if they feel they cant mix with the people that gave the licence to operate then dont renew it and probably there just cancel it. there is a lot of muzungus who are good out there,we need those but all those that think we stink when we come near them give them a one way ticket to what ever ice cave they come from.
milton

Postby MISS MUZUNGU » 3rd January 2011, 16:32

I WANT TO KNOW HOW IS THE SERVICE AT CRISMAR HOTEL LIVINGSTONE. IS IT ZAMBIAN FRIENDLY OR NOT?
MISS MUZUNGU

Postby Muntublest » 3rd January 2011, 16:59

Muzungu,

I have been to Chrismar Livingstone a couple of times and found their service to be ok even for Zambians. The racist joint i experienced was Sun Hotel.
Muntublest

Postby MISS MUZUNGU » 3rd January 2011, 18:07

THANKS MUNTUBLEST,
I WAS GOING TO TAKE ACTION IF ANY COMPLAINTS.
MISS MUZUNGU

Postby Sanni » 3rd January 2011, 18:20

I was recently in Livingstone with family and stayed at the Zambezi Sun. The service was good, I didnt witness any racism at all, to the contrary, we were treated very well during the whole stay.

Another place where the service was great and child friendly is Amadilo restuarant (fairly new restuarant). We went there after leaving the Pub & Grill in a huff... The service was awful...and non-existent. We sat for close for 10 minutes before anyone came to our table (and we were a large group). Also for a restuarant, at 19:00hrs we saw people groping each other, some with legs on the tables or on their partners... I had just had to leave because we had children with us and it didnt look like a child-friendly place. Funny thing is, I found out later that the owners of Pub & Grill also own Amadilo...so I guess all their energies are being put into the new place.
Sanni

Postby Muntublest » 4th January 2011, 00:40

Muzungu,

Lolest! Are you a shareholder there?

Sanni,

Wait until you have a problem at Sun then you ll know what am talking about. They gave me a room with a blocked toilet! I still cant believe that an international hotel chain can fall to those levels. Despite several complaints, they were very lackadaisical (i hope thats the spelling, dont want to be like Muzungu) about the whole matter, all the while clicking their heels to white people. It makes me angry all over again when i think about it. To top it up, the hotel was running a free dinner promo which the restaurant people had no clue about. Talk about chaos
Muntublest

Postby MISS MUZUNGU » 4th January 2011, 13:25

MUNTUBLEST,
U WILL FIND OUT WHEN U COME TO VISIT.NOT ON OPEN, (HIDEN) FORUM LIKE THIS.
MISS MUZUNGU

Previous Page Next Page

Return to Hospitality (Hotels, lodges, motels, bush camps, etc.)