Picture of Intercontinental Hotel Toilets

» Topic locked   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Picture of Intercontinental Hotel Toilets

Postby Reporter » 10th September 2010, 11:34

Dear Zambia,

This is a picture I took (using my phone) of a finished toilet pan in the Intercontinental hotel, Lusaka, the gents nearest to the lobby and car park – imagine! It's the first gents room guests go to. Is this still a five star hotel? By the way, it's not the only one like this.
Attachments
interstoilet.jpg
Reporter

Re: Picture of Intercontinental Hotel Toilets

Postby BK » 10th September 2010, 13:26

I can't believe this. The managers of the hotel don't use these toilets?
BK

Postby Got it » 10th September 2010, 13:27

Disgraceful. Wonder what the tourist think of our standards.
Got it

Postby Mauless » 10th September 2010, 14:08

Inters? What happened to the inters of old. How much does it cost to replace that part of the toilet surely.
Mauless

Postby K2 » 10th September 2010, 15:43

Problem in our beloved Zed ni 'poor finishing' and lack of excellence in our work. We seem to be satisfied with jst good enough... I'll bet u that sorry toilet has been reported several times bt nothing has been done about it. ...& to think about how many high profile functions that have been held @ that hotel only to be exposed to such poor standards SHUWA FYE?!!
K2

Postby Dizo » 10th September 2010, 16:48

From my little forensic analysis of the picture, the fault might not lie with the hotel. The culprit are a certain click of people who hang around the hotel but have no business being there. They would rather squat on the toilet seat than use it in the conventional fashion. We need to blame poor city planning, which has made this 5 star hotel accessible to any Jim and Jack. Granted, the hotel needs to take measures to replace the seat and prevent these loiterers from devaluating their premises.
Dizo

Postby Scott » 10th September 2010, 17:12

Reporter,

Thank you for not taking a picture with faeces and other bodily excrements showing. That is mighty considerate of you.
Scott

Postby Threshold » 10th September 2010, 17:24

Picking up from where Dizo left off, my own forensic analysis of this picture is that the problem is with a lack of toilet seat covers. You know the paper disposable ones like the have in real five star hotels.

If they had those toilet seat covers, people would not have to squat without sitting all the way down. This in turn would prevent faecal matter from splashing on the toilet seat. And further more, this will prevent the cleaning crew from scratching the paint off the toilet seat in their attempt to scrub off dried up faecal matter.

This is what my novice forensic analysis can deduce from this pathetic picture. That paint ahs been scrubbed off too much in the cleaning process. So the problem goes back to a lack of toilet seat covers.
Threshold

Postby PK2 » 11th September 2010, 08:13

I bet the owners and managers have not been in this toilet for seven years. They've got their own posh ones in their offices and don't know what their guests are using.
PK2

Postby Jaw » 11th September 2010, 08:34

One time I had to answer the call of nature while strolling on one of the clear sand beaches of western United States. I went into one of the public toilets there. For the next three months or so, I had trouble keeping down my food. That is because of what I saw in that toilet was unholy and the most disgusting sight the eyes could see. I could not get the image out of my mind. This picture of a clean toilet at Lusaka's inter, is like a breath of fresh air, in comparison.
Jaw

Postby reporter » 11th September 2010, 08:37

Dizo, are you saying they got worn out because someone actually put their shoes on them in a squatting position? I have another one in my collection that disproves your forensic thesis!

(Scott, you're welcome.)
Attachments
IMG_20100805_081104-1.jpg
IMG_20100805_081104-1.jpg (12.58 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
reporter

Postby Icho » 11th September 2010, 09:32

In this new photo, the faecal desposing squatter was wearing tire sandals. Those don't leave marks on the toilet as much. Dizo's theory still holds.
Icho

Postby Sandy » 12th September 2010, 13:14

If hotels that are managed by very educated professionals can't take care of facilities what hope do we have for services managed by less educated Zambians? Very disappointing ba inters.
Sandy

Postby General Manager » 17th September 2010, 17:33

Dear All
We would like to thank many members of the public for bringing this matter to our attention as we clearly hold a special place in the heart of all Zambians. As many of you know, this matter was originally raised in the press and we appreciate the constructive comments that were made in that article. As a result of the article, the hotel immediately replaced all the toilet seat covers in the public toilets to ensure that our normally high standards are maintained. As we strive to maintain service excellence and standards in our iconic InterContinental, we apologise for the oversight and lack of attention to detail and will continue to work hard to ensure that this does not occur again.

Kind regards

Andrew Hosking
GENERAL MANAGER
General Manager

Postby Mwamba » 17th September 2010, 17:54

Bravo, Mr Hosking!

There's just something about managers who respond like this that just makes me want to support their business! No excuses, just straight to the point, and instant corrective measures implemented.
Mwamba

Postby Ndine » 17th September 2010, 18:54

Dear REPORTER

Please do your magic that you do so well. Take another picture of the toilets after the said new cover seats have been installed, and post it for us here so our eyes can see. Some of us will never step inside Intercontinental Hotel because we don't have that kind of cash. We just want the bragging rights as Zambians, to say our Intercontinental Hotel is top of the line.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
Ndine
Ndine

Postby Reporter » 20th September 2010, 20:35

Yes the toilet seats have now been replaced. But the attention to detail mentioned by the General Manager is still not really there. While the GM was inspecting these toilets, I hoped he would notice that the small paper bin at the sinks has a broken foot pedal, it just has a bare exposed wire (as of this minute) remaining. It's been like that forever.
Attachments
IMG_20100920_201530-1.jpg
IMG_20100920_201530-1.jpg (11.32 KiB) Viewed 4674 times
Reporter

Postby Chamba » 20th September 2010, 21:08

Maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks on me again. But is that one big pile of dark gray faeces in this picture? unlike the usual green.

ba inter, what happened? There was a day this used to be the pride of Zambia.

I read some place that when queen Elizabeth II herself visited Zambia in 1979 for commonwealth conference, she stayed at this same intercontinental hotel that is now displaying dark gray faecal matter everywhere. how times have changes mwandi
Chamba

Postby Reporter » 21st September 2010, 07:40

Chamba, it's your eyes playing tricks. Inters is not yet that bad. In fact, the hotel generally looks so nice that these little oversights become even more confusing.

It is otherwise a very high class looking place, better than it ever was in the past:
Attachments
IMG_20100920_201138.jpg
Spectacular intercontinental hotel corridors
Reporter

Postby Chamba » 21st September 2010, 08:43

Reporter,

Pardonne-moi Monsieur! Thanks for the correction. To tell you the truth, I was hoping it was my eyes because the alternative is heat-breaking.

That’s a nice shot. That man at the end of the corridor looks like he’s in uniform with his dark pants and white shirt. On a mission perhaps, to fix the bucket in the toilet.

But Reporter, you are so right. Those toilets can be deceiving. Who woulda known the corridors can look so immaculate? Now I believe the legend of Queen Elizabeth the 2nd at that hotel back in 1979. Coincidentally, that is about the year I was potty trained. I was born in 1977.

Who knows, if I was born in better circumstances and could afford this place, I woulda been rubbing elbows with the queen in one of those toilets. Toilet covers notwithstanding, of course.
Chamba

Next Page

Return to Hospitality (Hotels, lodges, motels, bush camps, etc.)