Game Stores

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Game Stores

Postby Angry citizen » 2nd December 2012, 11:34

Dear Zambia,
Ecently I received the Game Stores specials paper in my news paper. To my surprise there was an amazing deal advertised on a tv. 2400000 it stated! Deal of the Week! My goodness! That amount for a TV that can almost cook you a meal! I MUST rush there and get it before I get the usual " sold out, out of stock, sorry you were too slow" . So off I went! I marched into Game, their specials paper clutched in my hand and stated " I'd like one of these please!" what happened next was completely typical of Game! The "gentleman" from whom I had enquired about this item smirked and said " this item is K24400000 not 2400000" . His attitude and ridiculing tone immediately put me on edge! " well!" I said, " do you know that a could take you to court for false advertising?" . To this he laughed out loud and Simply replied " take us! We are ready for small people like you!" now, perhaps I was wrong, perhaps not, but this statement enraged me ! How dare Game Stores allow its employees to treat and speak to its customers in such a manner. Personally I am sick and tired of Game as a whole! Without fail they manage to "misprint" prices in their specials paper frequently, so much so , that they have even had to put a disclaimer in the paper claiming that they are not liable for any "misprints" . I marched off to Game information desk and demanded to see a manager. Here I was met with skepticism , disdain, sarcasm n laughter. It seems that the insult and my indignation was hilarious to the supervisors and supposed manager there.
I am sick and tired of these foreign company's coming to Zambia and dumping their second hand rubbish here then charging us triple the price! All of them, Spar, Shoprite, Game, woolworths, Edgar's, the entire contingent! How many times have I peeled back the price tag to see that all they have done is add on three zeros the the south African price! How many times do we as Zambians have to be treated like fools! How many times do we have to pay the ridiculous prices these fat cats set, all because Zambia is a landlocked country? They claim the price hikes are due to tax , duty and transport? Please! Those costs are geat but they are not that great that we must just add three zeros to everything! Surely! Am I wrong? Am I misinformed? Am I to lay back and let these foreign "investors" charge me the earth for a small item, that I could get on Cairo road for an eighth of the price? Has Zambia really become a country that allows its people to suffer the bullying and pushing around by these foreign investors? Somewhere I heard that these big company's that come here get their first 5 years tax free ? Did I hear wrong? If not does that mean that they are charging us the earth and for their first 5 years they are making 150% profit? Why must we be eternally grateful that these company's have come here to give us more when really, all they are doing is taking away more! More money, more rights! All gone!Dear Zambia,
Angry citizen

Re: Game Stores

Postby JoJo » 2nd December 2012, 18:54

So, don't shop there. Find a good Zambian-owned store and buy yourself a fine Zambian-made TV.

Let us all know how that works out for you.
JoJo

Postby Beta » 4th December 2012, 15:02

How old are you? were you around when zcbc had nothing but a shop full of bleach? its your money, spend it where you want to but at least you now have a choice. That said, i do agree with you, shops should be made to take resposability for advert missprints, people come a long way and its at the wrong price or not even there, Game is number one for this, but what do they care! and you are also right about Game staff, the worst in Zambia, they think they are doing you a favour!
Beta

Postby Chikwakwa » 4th December 2012, 19:58

Dear Angry citizen

I started reading your post but got bored very very quickly. Too damn long and no paragraphs. Please kindly tell me the end result. Was it good news or bad? Did you score that stupid TV set or not.

Thanks in advance.
Chikwakwa

Postby Geezer » 5th December 2012, 01:03

[quote="Beta"]How old are you? were you around when zcbc had nothing but a shop full of bleach? [/quote]

hmmm! but baba naimwe, even a dinosaur like myself do not remember such times. A whole store full of bleach?? Are you sure you are not mixing up countries here. Maybe you were in Siberia or Patagonia.
Geezer

Postby Guest » 26th December 2012, 14:35

Ummmm...hate to tell you, but most of those SA stores sell their stuff cheaper here than in SA.

Why do you rampage on about "foreign"? I agree with you wholeheartedly that Game has THE worst customer service ever and they are these days looking like store room hit by a tornado. But that would be because of very poor management. Its just like having a franchise restaurant. Its not the brand name that gives poor service its the owner of the franchise.

Postby JoJo » 26th December 2012, 19:36

Ummmm...hate to tell you this, but I visit the SA Game stores several times a year and can confirm, with certainty, that the prices in Zambia are higher - often by a factor of two. Really, think about it, do you think Game would get VAT and customs exemption from ZRA? This, combined with a copper-driven consumerist mentality, guarantees they can charge whatever they please. And these sheep will gladly hand over their kwacha...
JoJo

Postby Osho » 26th December 2012, 19:40

Gentlemen,

I see that some of you missed some law classes. The advert by game was not an offer but an "invitation to treat". In other words Game was inviting you to make an offer at the advertised price. Even if you offered the advertised amount they still have the right to decline your "offer". This is Law 101. However this should not be interpreted as support for rude sales people.
Osho

Postby Slumdog Shalapungu » 26th December 2012, 20:49

LOss leader sales tactics , thats how these big supermarkets make their money. They promise your bargains for you to run their then switch the rules on you and hope a sales advisor will convince you to buy the item. Even if you do not buy an item I bet you after complaining to the manager you probably bought something from their while you angrily walked out.
Slumdog Shalapungu

Postby Special » 27th December 2012, 07:01

Guest wrote :
> Ummmm...hate to tell you, but most of those SA stores sell their stuff
> cheaper here than in SA.
>

guest my dear, please do come again. This SA fellow, is he really that perverted? You say he screws himself in his own ass. My dear, are you sure about that??
Special

Postby Guest » 27th December 2012, 14:14

@ Jojo, I'll take your challenge. Compare the Edgars prices please

Postby Guest » 27th December 2012, 14:21

@Special, your disgusting and your lack of class is very evident. I'm assuming your one of those creepy big bellied yucky guys who gets off on making perverted statements to ladies.

Postby JoJo » 28th December 2012, 08:29

Guest – the thread is about Game, not Edgars, and here as a quick comparison based on today’s sales leaflet published simultaneously in RSA and Zambia and converted to USD at today’s rate:

Item RSA Zambia
Samsung 32” HDR LED TV $400 $611
HP 3-in-1 Printer Bundle $82 $95
Samsung Texto E2220 $59 $99
Simple Choice 20l PVA paint $24 $21
PlayStation PS3 $478 $447

Etc. I picked these at random and, as you can see, not a single thing is cheaper in Zambia. Granted, my assertion that it is double was an exaggeration, forgive me. The idea that anything would be cheaper here flies in the face of logic; the economy of Zambia is stronger so demand is higher and a higher price can be obtained; everything here came from South Africa so unless you have a magic transporter like in Star Trek this will cost money to transport and pay customs.
JoJo

Postby JoJo » 28th December 2012, 08:30

oops - prices on the last two items were reversed...
JoJo

Postby Guest » 28th December 2012, 14:32

@ Jojo, you misread my first post. I had said most foreign shops. Not all. And I was replying to the orginal posters broad statement of "foreign shops". I am a shopper of serious magnitude. I have bought quite a few items, especially clothing, in shops here that was the same price or cheaper than in SA. When was the last time you went shopping in SA? I had asked the cashier at the shop how that is possible and was told that some items are brought in directly from where they are manufactured instead of via SA.

Anyways, off the topic, shop online in UK, works out cheaper than any option even with courier fees included.

Postby sh*t » 29th December 2012, 08:31

Game stores is just full of shit-the whole lot, management and staff
sh*t

Postby An Citizen » 31st December 2012, 10:33

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I take it you are a foreigner to Zambia with that comment.
An Citizen

Postby Slumdog Shalapungu » 31st December 2012, 13:06

Off topic , do these south african stores sell counterfeit material?

I was in homecorp and i saw something that looked like a dyson bladeless fan only to find some other name. I don't know if Dyson has a different patent name in zambia or via south africa but since when do obviously copied electricals cost more than the actual thing. I noticed theres some patent office in Zambia in long acres but are these boers going through some quality control on their products are do they just throw counterfeits onto the zambian market
Slumdog Shalapungu

Postby Reason » 31st December 2012, 13:51

I’m not sure if they are counterfeit, but I have noticed faulty products from real manufactures. Having worked in quality control, I know that inspections are done for an entire manufacturing lot, if a sampling shows high enough number of failures, the entire lot is deemed defective. As I doubt these lots are thrown away, it’s only a matter of where they are sent – to the USA or RSA where consumers will demand compensation and a legal system would support this, or to another country with compliant consumers and weak (or non-existent) customer protection laws?
Reason

Postby Fititi » 1st January 2013, 16:56

And that's why we thought of liberalising the economy so that our services are better. Tell you what, I can win that case in the courts of law. You can sue on behalf of the people of Zambia, this is not a case about you it's about many others. If you need help let me know, I am not in Zambia but..tell you what? I am Zambian and folder happy about such cases where my fellow citizens are treated with impunity.
Fititi

Next Page

Return to Retail Shops (Supermarkets, stores, shops, etc.)